Running MMA Show in MN?

Dishpig
A lot of the things you say should be done - everyone knows and pretty much tries to do - Even dirtbag promoters try to do those things. But what most people do not understand is that being a promoter does not give you a magic wand. This is about putting on a show; it is about $, entertainment and repeatability. There is more then one persons wishes, desire and requests involved.

People from the outside find it easy to say this or that should happen or such and such should fight so and so and blame promoters for not making it happen. But promotions have constraints or time, money, relationships and are often dealing with fighters who have conflicting wishes to what the promoter wants.
Here is an example. As a promoter I would always be 100% honest with people about whom they were fighting. Because of that I had a ton of people drop out, no show or otherwise refuse the fight. I would have guys calling me 10 times a day for a week leading up to the fight looking for more information about their opponent. The more honest I was – the more I knew I would have to look for a back up.

There are a million things that promoters have to deal with at a show – the fights and the fighters are really just a faction of what needs to be taken care.

If you think someone can come in off the streets and do a better job; well I would have to conclude you are pretty ignorant of the game. Most promoters start with the best intentions; they just have no idea how complicated it really is.

Mike

Mike R. is 100% correct. Despite what the fans, fighters, and general public see, there are a lot of factors promoters need to deal with. Last minute no-shows, city ordinances, insurance, etc... We also have to take in to consideration current Minnesota legislation, which is seeking to ban our sport. All these factors weigh heavy when running a small show, or the larger ones. It's not easy, but it's rewarding to see the shows grow. We do, however, need to come together and run these shows under a set format of rules. Honesty, integrity, and respect is key to making this sport continue to flourish in Minnesota.

As for training, I went to house of pain in annandale a few times but the problem is gas $$. its about a half hour drive one way and my car sucks on milage. as for trainning, i decided to concentrate on my boxing so im working out at the st. cloud golden gloves gym.

HOP has been totally remodeled and now has a top notch facility at a VERY reasonable price....i drive 30 minutes one way to get there and i drive a 4-wheel drive jeep.......i would have to drive longer than that to get to the metro.....you must be coming from St. Cloud......its the best deal going in central MN that's for sure.....

ttt

I have treid -
I have wanted to put together a private Commishion that can address most of these issues for years. When people are serious about working together for the sport - It will happen.

Thanks mike

A private commission will never work as long as someone has interest in the fighters or the promotion of MMA events. You need to have Minnesota form a commission or find a sanctioning body and rep you like and can work with. You might also be able to hire a state commissioner from another state that sanctions events like joe mason from colorado to come in and regulate a show. Of course insurance would be an issue.

It makes no sense to try and start a commission because it will not be seen as legitimite in my opinion. There are other options that make more sense.

The standard should not be just Minnesota but everywhere. A promotion should be consistent wherever it goes to be legitimate. And as we have seen in California we should all be using the unified rules if we want to further the sport. Those are the rules that are being pushed across the US and we should all conform so that MMA can be a true sport.

Wontsubmit
State commisions mean huge $ paid to the state to run a show - expensive medicals and other issues. Governement sucks. The sport can run itself - Just as football, baseball and every thing else does.

You should get involved and understand the idea and plan behind it before you judge it. Turning it over to our state Government? You must be kidding?

It is not that expensive. People bitch about fighter pay and travel expences all the time. Fighters are worth more they say. What is a fighter worth? Nothing in your eyes apparently.

To his family risking serious injury and the ability to support his children for $200, it is worth a $100 insurance policy and a prefight physical. It is worth having an impartial sanctioning body (gov't or otherwise) to make sure ( and this is only an example ) Travis Fulton is not fighting

Name:
Dan Wheatley
Pro Record:
2-19-0
Am Record:
0-2-0

Fighters for the most part do this for the love of the game, promoters take advantage of that. Not all promoters, but if saving one fighter from unnecessary harm means $1000 per show it out weighs the $200 payscale.

This is not personal and I'm not talking about you or anyone specifically, but people are not responsible enough to make the right decisions when their money is involved.

This sport is passed the point of self regulation in my opinion.

You said it best 

"Also and i hate to sound like a dick - but it is 100% true - If you can't afford gas $ to train....DO NOT RUN A SHOW. If you can't afford to do it right and risk a loss - DON'T DO A SHOW - YOU ARE NOT READY TO RISK FIGHTS OR THE SPORTS REPUTATION."

NSAC Medicals run about 2K per fighter.
If you really think Promoters are getting fat running shows Like XKK, UCS, EC or other events at that level you are wrong.

Having the Govenment get involved is not good for the sport - it is not good for anything.

The sport obviously can't afford every state to have regulations like Nevada- It just costs too much money and the small shows would fail--

However, i do think that there are some things that every show should be required to have. I don't think a privately run commission would work-- I think it would be too hard to find a 3rd party that has no interest in the game. I do VERY STRONGLY feel that every show should have to have insurance- These men (and very often young men) get in the cage without medical insurance. If something happens to these guys in the cage, they're totally screwed.

There are several insurance companies that are willing to insure these types of events-- The promoters need to care enough about the athletes to provide it.

Is there anyone on here- promoter or not- who doesn't think insurance should be mandatory?

NSAC Medicals run about 2K per fighter.

I had to have a physical in highschool before I could join a sport, you think that these fighters shouldn't have to?

Thats Nevada, the most regulated state there is. That is the exception not the rule.What makes Nevada so spendy is the MRI, I do believe that is the only state or one of only two that they are madatory. Minnesota is not comparable.

You need to get off the gov't is bad stuff, if you don't like the way its done change it.

The last few shows i've been to, xkk and ucs (both in Minnesota) had physicals comparable to a high school sports physical. They took pulse rate, blood pressure, listened to your heart and a few other things. Though it's not mandatory, some promoters are taking initiative.

Thats all most states require, although some blood tests are getting so cheap I think they will soon be mandatory. I hear a test for hep is or will be around $8.

That is not counting the yearly exam fighters should have to get licensed.

North Dakotas physical rules:

72-02.2-01.1-11. Duties of physician. A physician is subject to the

following requirements:

1. The physician shall examine each contestant before the bout at the

weigh-in. After the examination, if the contestant is determined to be

in acceptable physical condition, the physician must certify this on the

form provided by the board.

2. The examination shall include an examination of the following:

a. Eyes;

b. Ears;

c. Mouth and jaw;

d. Nose;

e. Chest;

f. Head;

g. Hands;

h. Abdomen;

i. Blood pressure; and

j. Resting heart rate.

3. One of the two physicians, if two physicians are required by the board

to be present, will be selected by the board, prior to the match, to be

the head physician in charge. If the board has a physician appointed

as a member, such board member may not act in the capacity of both a

ringside physician and board member during the match.

4. The physician or physicians must be seated near the steps into the ring,

one in each corner if two are present. The physician or physicians will

remain there for the duration of the contest, unless the physician or

physicians are needed in the ring.

5. The physician, or either of the physicians if two are present, may enter

the ring at any time during a match, and may terminate any match if, in

the physician's opinion, any contestant has received severe punishment

or is in danger of serious physical injury.

a. In the event of any serious physical injury, such physician

shall immediately render any emergency treatment necessary,

recommend further treatment or hospitalization if required, and

fully report the entire matter to the commissioner within twenty-four

hours and, if necessary, subsequently thereafter;

b. Such physician may also require that the injured unarmed combatant and unarmed combatant's manager remain in the ring, or on the premises, or report to a hospital after the contest for such period of time as such physician

deems advisable; and

c. A physician shall examine each contestant after the bout. If the

contestant is determined to be in acceptable physical condition the

physician shall certify this on the form provided by the board.

Insurance rules on #2

72-02.2-01.1-06. Duties of promoter. A promoter is subject to the following

requirements:

1. Any person, party, or organization acting as a promoter of a professional

unarmed combatant match must obtain approval from the commissioner at least two weeks prior to the date of the match.

2. Prior to a match, the promoter must file with the board proof of

adequate insurance for the protection of the contestants, officials, and

the attending public. However, insurance to cover injuries incurred by

a contestant as a result of a match is the responsibility of the individual

contestant.

72-02.2-01.1-14. Gross revenue fee. There is hereby imposed a fee

upon each promoter, or other principal, operating in this state who conducts

any professional unarmed combat matches held within this state for each such event. The fee must be equal to the product of the gross revenues of each such unarmed combat or sparring match multiplied by one percent. For purposes of this section, gross revenues means any and all revenues, from whatever source derived, received by any promoter, or other principal, on account of any particular match, including any revenues received from any advance ticket sales, gate receipts, promotional or advertising consideration, and from any cable television and pay-per-view telecasts of such match, exclusive of any federal tax thereon.

Each promoter, or other principal, liable for such gross revenue fee shall

provide an accounting to the commissioner on a form provided by the commissioner not later than ten days from the date of the particular match, prepared by the promoter or by a certified public accountant, on behalf of the promoter, using generally accepted accounting principles, which details the source and amount of each component of gross revenues and contains a calculation showing the fee owed to the commissioner. Any source documents or records used by the promoter, or the certified public accountant, in preparing the accounting must be made immediately available to the commissioner, upon request, for verification. The gross revenue fee due thereon must be remitted to the commissioner by no later than ten days from the date of the match. Any promoter or other principals involved in the receipt of moneys, or staging of the exhibition or match, are jointly and severally liable for the gross revenue fee provided for by this section.

Any promoter who fails to calculate or remit the fee, as required, is subject to an

immediate suspension of the promoter's license until the delinquent accounting

or fee is submitted to the commissioner or until a hearing requested by such

promoter is conducted and concluded by or on behalf of the commissioner.

as you can see not that expensive oh I forgot.........

72-02.2-01.1-04. Licensing. An application for a license must be made in

writing on a form supplied by the board and be verified under oath by the applicant.

The applicable fee must be submitted with the application. A license is valid for

one calendar year and expires on December thirty-first of each year. The licenses available and license fees are as follows:

1. Boxer or Kickboxer - ten dollars.

2. Corner person/second/trainer - ten dollars.

3. Judge - twenty-five dollars.

4. Knockdown counter - ten dollars.

5. Manager - twenty-five dollars.

6. Matchmaker - fifty dollars.

7. Physician - no fee.

8. Promoter - one hundred dollars.

9. Referee - twenty-five dollars.

10. Timekeeper - ten dollars.

11. Mixed Fighting Style competitor - ten dollars