Russel Brand and Jordan Peterson have a chat

Power vs Kindness  Pretty decent discussion , enjoy

Brand is a pseudo-intelect. He is severely outclassed in this conversation.

Much in the same way he was frustrated in trying to have a conversation with katy perry...this is the equivalent except Brand is now perry.

Brand wants to be intellectual. He is working towards it but he's been given too much air too soon. So he thinks he's further along than he is. He has a cloak of competence that hides his true level.

He's been put forward as an intellectual by himself and others but it's like asking a guy who has tinkered with cars and wants to be seen as a better mechanic than he is being hired to build a new vehicle when he doesn't have the full skill set.

He'll look busy, be able to talk the talk and do some of the work, but he'll take far longer because he doesn't always understand how it actually works.

His fame is as a result of his ability to be cloaked in that competence so people see him as intellectual and push him forward, but now his fame is pushing him forward on it's own and he is not keeping up with the expectations that others have of him intellectually.

I wish he'd take a step back and really look at his views and see how they may interact with other ideas rather than just push his own ideas and assume that other ideas are not viable. It's because he doesn't do this he looks foolish at times.

He's on his way to being a good intellectual but he's getting in his own way imo.

In

Subbed for when I have time to watch it 

It's not as tiring and frustrating as his chat with Harris is it?  Because watching Harris trying to summon the patience to deal with his word salads was exhausting.

In

CaptainNemo - 

Brand wants to be intellectual. He is working towards it but he's been given too much air too soon. So he thinks he's further along than he is. He has a cloak of competence that hides his true level.

He's been put forward as an intellectual by himself and others but it's like asking a guy who has tinkered with cars and wants to be seen as a better mechanic than he is being hired to build a new vehicle when he doesn't have the full skill set.

He'll look busy, be able to talk the talk and do some of the work, but he'll take far longer because he doesn't always understand how it actually works.

His fame is as a result of his ability to be cloaked in that competence so people see him as intellectual and push him forward, but now his fame is pushing him forward on it's own and he is not keeping up with the expectations that others have of him intellectually.

I wish he'd take a step back and really look at his views and see how they may interact with other ideas rather than just push his own ideas and assume that other ideas are not viable. It's because he doesn't do this he looks foolish at times.

He's on his way to being a good intellectual but he's getting in his own way imo.

You're right, he's not totally there yet but I don't think he's going to stop. His verbal skills are outstanding and I think he could do a lot of good, similar to Peterson.

Some of his rants have some real gold in them. They just aren't as hammered out or digestible as Peterson's talking points.

In

Brand is a drug addicted moron

I know brand is really really annoying...but he’s definately a smart dude. I agree he wants to be viewed more as an intellectual than he really is tho.

CavemanDave -

It's not as tiring and frustrating as his chat with Harris is it?  Because watching Harris trying to summon the patience to deal with his word salads was exhausting.

I'm halfway through that one. Figured I'd give Brand another chance since he gets on my nerves a lot. Useless conversation so far. Brand bitches about Harris' 'fetish'  with Islam and continues to bring the conversation back to his own fetish: the evil patriarchy of white men that have been suppressing the world for ages.

He couldn't even say that the burka was fucking stupid. Kept hiding behind his "how can I judge this from my western perspective" line.

Is Brand doing jiujitsu now?  

CavemanDave -

This conversation is excellent so far.  I'm 40 minutes in and Brand and Peterson are having a nice discussion.  I think Peterson is enjoying it from the look of him.  

Brand > Harris

robbie380 -

Is Brand doing jiujitsu now?  

Yeah. On off for a while. Mainly privates. Nice guy in person. I've found him annoying in the past but I do value his take on life and humanity in general. It's not a problem of him wanting to be an "intellectual" but more that his spiritual approach is often conflicted by his celebrity. But he's a unique guy in a unique position with a unique take in the intellectual sphere. I like when he bamboozles Joe Rogart on subjects that don't involve testosterone to access. Happy days

danggook - 

Actually he is the by product of that.

He's one of those addicts who when getting clean suddenly turns that addictive personality to learning everything thay can about something or honing it in on a certain skill and getting very very good at it.

The problem is that they feel they have to tell everyone about how they know everything about it and that they are an expert and know more than anyone else, despite others having spent years already doing the work.

Was good chat, Brand was able to quote a line that JBP was unaware of that he liked so he's experienced 

CaptainNemo -
danggook - 

Actually he is the by product of that.

He's one of those addicts who when getting clean suddenly turns that addictive personality to learning everything thay can about something or honing it in on a certain skill and getting very very good at it.

The problem is that they feel they have to tell everyone about how they know everything about it and that they are an expert and know more than anyone else, despite others having spent years already doing the work.

I agree with most of this. 

What I got from this discussion is that Russel has no problem listening to more than one point of view and it seems like he's willing to adopt some of those opinions that were probably against his core belief system of a few years back.

I found it refreshing to "see/listen to" him willing to have an open mind to find that neutral comfort of mind...if that makes sense.