Ruthless Relegated To Prelims First Time in 20 Years

2 Likes

Robbie Lawler was caught a tad off guard when he found out he would be fighting on the preliminary card of a UFC event for the first time in 20 years.

Lawler (29-15 MMA, 14-9 UFC), a former UFC welterweight champion and one of the most exciting competitors in the history of the sport, is set to fight Bryan Barberena (17-8 MMA, 8-6 UFC) on the undercard of UFC 276, which takes place July 2 at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.

The main card for the event will air on pay-per-view, following prelims that were just announced to air on both ABC and ESPN ā€“ and early prelims on ESPN and ESPN+.

Although the preliminary-card platform sometimes brings more eyeballs than the main card of a pay-per-view, thereā€™s a certain prestige that comes with being placed on the top portion of the lineup. Lawler hasnā€™t been on the prelims of a UFC card since his promotional debut against Aaron Riley at The fight with Barberena at UFC 276 is a dramatic shift from Lawlerā€™s most recent fight. ā€œRuthlessā€ is coming off a TKO win over Nick Diaz at UFC 266 in September 2021 in a highly anticipated rematch of one of the defining losses of his career. It was a marquee matchup against a fellow legend, but now Lawler meets Barberena, who isnā€™t in the same stratosphere as Diaz in regard to star power.

Thatā€™s fine with Lawler, though, because he knows Barberena is going to bring an action-packed affair.

ā€œI mean, obviously itā€™s totally different,ā€ Lawler said. ā€œTheyā€™re both lefties, which is nice. (I) just trained for a leftie in Nick, and Bryanā€™s a leftie. Itā€™s a decent transition. I donā€™t have to switch too much up. But itā€™s all about staying focused and being a professional and trying to bring that same energy to a fight against Bryan. ā€¦ Thereā€™s definitely no back story, but Bryan comes to fight, and thatā€™s a pretty good story. I come to fight, and the fans are going to get what they love: two guys going out there looking for finishes standing up. You never know whatā€™s going to happen. Maybe heā€™ll wrestle, but weā€™ll see. Iā€™m excited to go out there and showcase my skills.ā€

UFC 276 will mark Lawlerā€™s first fight since his turned 40 in March. Heā€™s not willing to put a timeline on when heā€™s going to walk away from competition, but said heā€™s currently satisfied with his performance in the gym and in the octagon and has no desire to walk away.

ā€œJust one fight at a time,ā€ Lawler said. ā€œWeā€™ll see what happens. I enjoy doing this. I can do it at a high level. Iā€™m training with really good guys at Sanford MMA. Theyā€™re pushing me. Iā€™m holding my own. So as long as Iā€™m enjoying it and my body feels good and Iā€™m excited to fight and put on a show, then Iā€™m going to continue to do it.ā€

The entirety of Lawlerā€™s focus at the moment is centered around Barberena. Heā€™s excited to be part of the UFCā€™s annual International Fight Week festivities, and though the competition is going to be fierce for performance bonuses, Lawler expects to be in the running when the UFC brass issues extra $50,000 checks at the end of the night.

ā€œI always feel like Iā€™m going to go out there and put on a fight,ā€ Lawler said. ā€œThatā€™s the only way I know how to do this. Iā€™ve been doing this a long time. Iā€™m not planning on switching my style anytime soon. But thereā€™s really good fighters on the card. Really good fighters ā€“ real technical, real exciting. Guys who bang, guys who do it all. Itā€™s going to be a tough one to get that Performance of the Night.ā€UFC 37 in May 2002, and he admitted he didnā€™t expect to be back there at this stage of his career.

ā€œIā€™m not going to lie: I was surprised,ā€ Lawler told MMA Junkie on Friday. ā€œIā€™m like, ā€˜OK, whatever.ā€™ I get to get out of there earlier, which is nice. I wish they just put me first. Start the show and then get out. Maybe fly home.ā€

2 Likes

3 Likes

U Freakin Kiddin Me ?

12 Likes

If itā€™s on ABC, thatā€™s bigger than PPV. And heā€™s the perfect guy to be on there.

12 Likes

Probably want a guaranteed exciting fight on the prelims to help sell the ppv

17 Likes

I hope Robbie brings it. Sanford has ruined him so far

Iā€™m thinking age has ā€œruinedā€ him not Sanford. He has a lot of miles on him at this point. Still worth watching!!

4 Likes

Bad call

3 Likes

Me Thinks So Too

3 Likes

Iā€™m shocked that Dana put Jessica Eye on the early prelims

8 Likes

But I donā€™t think this was a great decision. Just saying thatā€™s probably what happened.

1 Like

Crazy, seeing as how thatā€™s a better fight than most Main Events they setup these days.

2 Likes

1 Like

Is he in the ā€œfeatured prelimā€ at least?

yessir

1 Like

Little bit of a tough position with Lawler because heā€™s a name guy amongst hardcores, but aside from the Diaz fight, heā€™s been irrelevant to the division for quite some time and has laid some eggs in the main card fights he was given. His last notable bump prior to Diaz was when he smashed Askren in 2019, but aside from that heā€™s lost fairly one-sidedly to anyone of note heā€™s been paired with.

1 Like

Yeah but Most MMA Fans know Ruthlessnessā€™

1 Like

Iā€™ll be there!! Stoked. Rogan Fri night and UFC Sat. Anyone else going?

2 Likes

Rogan was a total letdown when I seen him years & years ago.Even my girlfriend thought he was bad.

2 Likes