Ryan Couture Glad He Avoided DFW & Natural Feud

CindyO -

Elias,

"On the one hand it was certainly Couture’s career goal to fight in the UFC – the major leagues of mixed martial arts – but on the other hand, he would miss hearing the familiar voice of his father and coach in his corner on fight nights."

Why would he miss his dads voice in his corner? DW can't stop Randy from cornering Ryan because those decisions are up to the commission not DW- I think we bickered on another thread months ago about the same thing when you asked Kizer if DW had tried to have Randy banned as a corner in Nevada- even though Ryan never had a fight scheduled in Nevada:/  But this issue was put to bed a mere 2 weeks after it began.

-- DW threatened to ban Randy from Ryan's corner in his Sweden match Feb 3rd (a million links to read about it on).

-- A week later (Feb 10) Randy went to the media declaring he was down for the fight with DW and if Ryan wanted him there:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1523740-randy-couture-willing-to-address-issue-of-cornering-son-ryan-on-ufc-on-fuel-card

Randy Couture Willing to Address Issue of Cornering Son Ryan on UFC on Fuel Card

ByTrent Reinsmith

(Chief Writer) on February 10, 2013

Randy addressed the issue with Knockout Radio (h/t to MMAWeekly), saying, “I’ve helped him (Ryan) formulate some of those game plans in some of those camps and cornered him for his last three fights, so if that’s what Ryan needs and that’s what Ryan wants, then I am certainly willing to walk across that and address that issue, if Dana tries to preclude me from being a part of Ryan’s career.”

If Ryan does request Randy as a cornerman and that request is denied for whatever reason, don’t expect Randy to slink off with his tail between his legs—especially since he has been an approved cornerman for Ryan in the past.

-- A week later (Feb 18) this was a dead issue, according to George Sallfeldt, president of the Swedish MMA Federation:

http://www.fightline.com/fl-news-2013-0218-553444-randy-couture/

Randy Couture Permitted To Corner His Son’s UFC Debut

Apparently when Ryan Couture makes his UFC debut, there won’t be an issue if his father is one of the cornerman. George Sallfeldt, president of the Swedish MMA Federation, said that the UFC has cleared all cornerman for the April show.

“We don’t have any rules about who can corner an athlete,” said Sallfeldt on Nordic MMA. “That’s up to the athlete. We talked to the UFC and they have no problems with anyone corning anyone. I don’t see any problems in this specific case.”

Sallfeldt said that the number of cormerman is limited and can be changed on the day of the show.

There was some uncertainty after Randy Couture, Ryan’s father, left the UFC and signed a deal with Spike TV. By doing so, he became a coach on the new Bellator reality show.

Ryan makes his UFC debut against Ross Pearson from the Ericsson Globe Arena. That happens at UFC on FUEL TV 9 on April 6 out of Sweden.

Video interview with Commissioner can be found at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQwIRYBp09g

Couple if threads on this board about it, too. Surprised to see you leave out something pretty important in your article today unless you simply didn't know.

So Sweden chimed in mid February making it clear Randy isn't banned from cornering his son and they also made it clear the commission oversees such things and the fighter decides his corners.

The fight wasn't until April 6th so I'm sure you'll agree that the real question here is why Randy no-showed his kids fight, no?

Cindy

Regardless of the commissions, Ryan knows the score and Dana's feelings.

Time has proven Dana is not a boss to be fucked with.

Ryan is better off leaving his Dad out. Phone Post 3.0

^^^ Ah, soooo writing a story claiming Randy would not be allowed to corner his son after the commission said otherwise wasn't worth mentioning? Got it! lol

Cindy

CindyO -

^^^ Ah, soooo writing a story claiming Randy would not be allowed to corner his son after the commission said otherwise wasn't worth mentioning? Got it! lol

Cindy

I didn't say that. Phone Post 3.0

Hi Cindy. How are you? Hope all is well with the family. 

As for your posts, I'm not sure what you are saying, exactly. This is the guts of what I've reported since the beginning of this story and it hasn't changed:

Dana White says publicly that Randy Couture won't be allowed at UFC events after signing with Bellator.

Ryan Couture says that Dana told him privately over the phone that he had a place in the UFC but that his dad would not be able to be at his fights with him. 

The Nevada State Athletic Commission Executive Director told me that the UFC has never asked the commission as far as he could remember to not license a particular corner. He also said that it was the commission's job to decide who could be licensed to corner fighters, not the job of fight promotions. 

Informed of this, Ryan Couture said that he would not try and push for his dad to be able to corner him because he didn't want to upset his bosses at the UFC after White had made it publicly and personally clear that he didn't want Randy there and because his dad's schedule might not allow him to be at all of his fights anyhow.

And, yes - Ryan's first UFC fight was scheduled for Sweden. I thought and still believe that talking to not only the most imortant and influential athletic commission head but also the athletic commission head for the state where the UFC is based out of and where the fighter and his coach/dad/corner are based out for clarity of made perfect sense. If it doesn't make sense to you, I'm sorry. 

Have a great one.

So you don't think its worth mentioning that Randy COULD HAVE shown up (which he claimed he would if Ryan wanted him there) to corner Ryan IF HE WANTED TO but chose NOT TO yet continues to whine in the media about how DW kept him away???

I am simply amazed at your logic to leave out the words of the Sweden AC in your story. If you don't understand that well, I don't know what to tell you.

Cindy Phone Post 3.0

interlasting

EC Phone home !

CindyO - So you don't think its worth mentioning that Randy COULD HAVE shown up (which he claimed he would if Ryan wanted him there) to corner Ryan IF HE WANTED TO but chose NOT TO yet continues to whine in the media about how DW kept him away???

I am simply amazed at your logic to leave out the words of the Sweden AC in your story. If you don't understand that well, I don't know what to tell you.

Cindy Phone Post 3.0

Yeah he COULD have shown up to corner ryan. Even you know that it would have been a bad idea if Ryan would have wanted to keep fighting in the UFC. Its sad that a UFC hall of famer cant corner his son without retribution from dana. I believe ryan when he says that dana called him and told him that. Why would he lie when hes under contract with the UFC? Phone Post

CindyO - So you don't think its worth mentioning that Randy COULD HAVE shown up (which he claimed he would if Ryan wanted him there) to corner Ryan IF HE WANTED TO but chose NOT TO yet continues to whine in the media about how DW kept him away???

Cindy Phone Post 3.0
You're missing the point entirely. Phone Post 3.0

Goodness gracious. It has been mentioned multiple times in my stories covering this, including this particular story, that  A. Randy likely could have been in the corner if they had pushed for it and B. and he possibly could have if his schedule allowed.

As for A.  the very obvious point is that Ryan says he didn't want to do it because he thought it would upset his bosses and as for B. it is in the article that Randy may not have gone anyway because of his schedule. 

I didn't editorialize in the article like it seems you would have wanted me to. It isn't about me, my opinions on anyone involved or your opinions. You've made it clear that you don't like Randy Couture, that's fine. I have a lot of respect for everyone involved in this story and I think my stories over the years, including multiple conversations with all of them, show that as well. 

Take a deep breath, Cindy. I didn't attack Dana White or anyone else for that matter in this or any other story and I'm not doing so here. Wish you all the best. 

Elias Cepeda -

Goodness gracious. It has been mentioned multiple times in my stories covering this, including this articular story, that  A. Randy likely could have been in the corner if they had pushed for it and B. his schedule allowed.

As for A.  the very obvious point is that Ryan says he didn't want to do it because he thought it would upset his bosses and as for B. it is in the article that Randy may not have gone anyway because of his schedule. 

I didn't editorialize in the article like it seems you would have wanted me to. It isn't about me, my opinions on anyone involved or your opinions. You've made it clear that you don't like Randy Couture, that's fine. I have a lot of respect for everyone involved in this story and I think my stories over the years, including multiple conversations with all of them, show that as well. 

Take a deep breath, Cindy. I didn't attack Dana White or anyone else for that matter in this or any other story and I'm not doing so here. Wish you all the best. 

Well said. VU! Phone Post 3.0

Elias Cepeda - 

Goodness gracious. It has been mentioned multiple times in my stories covering this, including this articular story, that  A. Randy likely could have been in the corner if they had pushed for it and B. his schedule allowed.

+1

good job trying to be an actual journalist

CindyO - 

Cindy

Are you being purposefully obtuse? How does the paragraph regarding the NSAC making clear to him that promotions don't dictate cornerpersons not address your issue with his article? Are you seriously not getting the point that defying your employers wishes, regardless of whether those wishes can be legally enforced, can put you in a bad spot? Particulary with an employer who decides who you compete against, when, and whether you keep your job?

Listen, if my dad and I shared an employer, and he screwed them over, I'd expect to get canned. I respect the UFC for giving Ryan a chance. Your post is just way disconnected from practical realities and anything Elias actually wrote.

Ok, I use to really like Cindy O but someone here called her a shrill for Dana White. Let me make it clear, there can only be one shrill for DW and that is me. Cindy, back off and stop trying to steal my title or its on.

TTT for a decent article, despite the shill's bizarre rants :/ Phone Post 3.0

Cindy Phone Post 3.0

Jesus... Phone Post

Cindy has to know the implications of going against Dana's specific request of keeping Randy out.

If he fought for it and got his dad to corner him he'd be on the shortest leash "of all times" when it came to a UFC career.

Thanks again for reading and the comments, y'all. Always, always, much appreciated