Ryan Hall: genuinely cool guy

So, I’m from the same neck of the woods as he is, and one of my buddies happens to train at his place, and always talks about what a cool, laid back guy he is IRL, and if you talk to people around here (suburban DC) who train, you inevitably hear that from everybody.

“Oh yeah, I know a guy who did a seminar with him, said he’s chill as fuck”

“Met a couple of his guys, they all say he’s cool as hell”.

You all saw the pizza parlor video from a few years ago with TPK (RIP), and he was just super chill in a very stressful video.

Here’s a longish (45 minute) interview with him from a couple weeks ago, and it really shows through.

Not only is he a SUPER interesting fighter to watch, because he’s completely unique, but seems like a good hang, too.

1 Like

Ryan is one of the good guys in the sport.

Double post fail.

I’m close with one of his black belts. He’s awesome.

Add intelligent and well-spoken to the list. :wink:

I’m a fan of his fights and his BJJ career. I have 4 of his instructionals but I can’t seem to vibe with his teaching He talks a lot of concepts/ideas and not as much on the technique itself and I tend to zone out. 

JitzInMyPants -

I’m a fan of his fights and his BJJ career. I have 4 of his instructionals but I can’t seem to vibe with his teaching He talks a lot of concepts/ideas and not as much on the technique itself and I tend to zone out. 

Hmmm maybe I should give them a buy. I like the conceptual learning vs tech memorization. 

1 Like
JitzInMyPants - 

His understanding of combat sports concepts is amazing. But, that is definitely not for everyone. For some people, it’s exactly what they need. And for others, it doesn’t work.

Never met him but he must amazing. A-mazing

djones -
JitzInMyPants -

Hmmm maybe I should give them a buy. I like the conceptual learning vs tech memorization. 

I would recommend his "Defensive Guard" dvd. I can see how someone who learns more through concepts would love it.

JitzInMyPants - 
djones -
JitzInMyPants -

I would recommend his "Defensive Guard" dvd. I can see how someone who learns more through concepts would love it.

wiggum -
JitzInMyPants - 

His understanding of combat sports concepts is amazing. But, that is definitely not for everyone. For some people, it’s exactly what they need. And for others, it doesn’t work.

Absolutely. You can tell he’s extremely knowledgable by the way he teaches and has an understanding of the concepts. I’m aware it’s more to do with the way that I learn than it is his teaching abilities. Although, after watching his dvds I’m wondering if I should be trying to learn the how and why of movements and not just the technique itself.

You’d love to see Danaher and Hall teach together.

They both seem to have that “understand it conceptually before you bother trying to learn it physically” approach.

got all his dvds, just couldnt pay attention with all his blinking

Doesnt he have an engineering background?

I love his triangle set. I own almost every set he owns but like some else said, it’s too broad for me. It’s not a list of moves, it’s a list of concepts. What I just wrote wasn’t 100 accurate but I feel I would get more out of the set if it were a step by step instructional, instead Ryan a lot of times shows how to create certain circumstances. All in all I’m a huge fan and my understanding of jiujitsu is largely based around my knowledge of the sport and how it works because I have been given time to play and time to experiment exactly because I created the situation using Ryan’s ideas. “Jiujitsu is movement not moves” - Ryan Hall.

Did a couple of seminars with him, smart and funny guy.  

He's awesome. Like others have said, his DVD are kinda brutal. Not as bas as Danaher though 

Dbl

RocknRolla - got all his dvds, just couldnt pay attention with all his blinking

For how awesome he is, I feel so bad for this.