Ryan Hall interview-Training with Gunni Nelson

Great interview and really cool to watch him doing some wall work with Gunni. Ryan talks about new school jiu jitsu in MMA, self defense vs sport and some other really cool topics. This was published today but filmed earlier this year.

Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=371&v=PoWt5YkfnaA

Part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00sL5rh8Mfc

Innnnnnnn Phone Post 3.0

That was awesome and I totally agree with everything

Thanks! Phone Post 3.0

Part Two

Part One

I used to train with gunny highway Phone Post 3.0

Haha his self defense talk is hilariously true. Phone Post 3.0

A_Butler - Haha his self defense talk is hilariously true. Phone Post 3.0
Lol agreed Phone Post 3.0

Sub Phone Post 3.0

I could listen to Ryan hall talk all day. Such a sharp dude Phone Post 3.0

I agree with him on all his points.

Especially the self defense one.

I respectfully disagree. I don't think you would tell a 60 year old woman signing up at your academy that unless she got on the mat an took her lumps like a real martial artist then she has NO chance at defending herself.
Many people have severe limitations that prevent them from training hard. The expectations for these people are less. For example they may not be able to ko an attacker or break their arm in two. However with "self defense" training they would be able to survive a situation or prevent taking damage both physical and mental that they wouldn't otherwise have been able to prevent. I get it. It's easy to make fun of a 22 year old healthy male nerd that has a brown and a blue belt at your academy would wax them. And these guys say "but what would you do in self defense?"
We're all going to justify what we do over others. I try to be good in gi , no gi, Mma, self defense. Being a well rounded martial artist is the way to go. But just because someone has Down's syndrome or severe osteoporosis doesn't mean they can't get better by training self defense. Phone Post 3.0

Good Attitude! VU

Bottom mount escapes and headlock escaped are not arbitrary. They happen in most self defense situations.

You could look at hundreds of videos online of people being attacked and start to pull up patterns so that you can teach people how to defend against them. Phone Post 3.0

Well said Cole.

checkuroil - I used to train with gunny highway Phone Post 3.0
Did you hold hands and take warm showers till the wee hours of the morning? Phone Post 3.0

ColeMillerATT -
I respectfully disagree. I don't think you would tell a 60 year old woman signing up at your academy that unless she got on the mat an took her lumps like a real martial artist then she has NO chance at defending herself.
Many people have severe limitations that prevent them from training hard. The expectations for these people are less. For example they may not be able to ko an attacker or break their arm in two. However with "self defense" training they would be able to survive a situation or prevent taking damage both physical and mental that they wouldn't otherwise have been able to prevent. I get it. It's easy to make fun of a 22 year old healthy male nerd that has a brown and a blue belt at your academy would wax them. And these guys say "but what would you do in self defense?"
We're all going to justify what we do over others. I try to be good in gi , no gi, Mma, self defense. Being a well rounded martial artist is the way to go. But just because someone has Down's syndrome or severe osteoporosis doesn't mean they can't get better by training self defense. Phone Post 3.0
I'm talking about the comments about the Internet forums and made up situations. Everybody always talks about self defense. You say, I oh I train bjj and they say, but what if he's got friends and they kick you while you're down?!? You say, oh I box and they say what if he's a wrestler?!? His comments about how ridiculous the conversation usually gets is what is funny, because it's spot on. Phone Post 3.0