Ryan Hall's triangle

I wonder why the 140+ people he's caught with it in tournaments didn't defend it if its so easy...

LOL.

See, the beauty of jiu-jitsu is you can see what actually works and what is unimpressive and easy to defend.

Ryan's triangle actually works.

Well.

Very well. Against top competition.

My apologies if I'm coming off as uninformed, but isn't Ryan Hall just a purple belt? Why all this praise and fawning (or any talk at all) about his game if your average brownbelt on this site could likely smoke him? Or is beating black belts (in which case he probably should be promoted)?

TTT

I am a brown belt that trains with Ryan. The average brown belt will NOT "smoke" him. I have been caught in his triangle more times than I can count.

I'm also a brown belt on Ryan's team. Although I haven't trained with him personally, every single person I know who has trained with him, blue through black, has incredible respect for his triangle (and the rest of his game). I have no doubt that he'd catch me with that thing if (when) we train....and I know what's coming.

"Why all this praise and fawning (or any talk at all) about his game if your average brownbelt on this site could likely smoke him?"

In my view this is one of the biggest problems in Bjj...believing rank equals skill and that being a higher ranks "guarantees" beating people of a lower rank.

Rank symbolizes progress and dedication, nothing more. It does not equal skill. In other words just because you happen to be a certain rank in no way means you automatically can beat everyone who is of lower rank. Thinking one can is simply TMA mentality.

The best groundfighter at my academy is a tall and skinny one stripe purple belt.  I have never seen anyone beat him, and I have seen him beat at least two brown belts.

The only people heaping praise on him appear to be his teammates.

LOL. Again, the beauty of this sport is you can find out for yourself. Enter a division he's in...or just watch one. You'll see lots of non-teammates more than willing to heap praise on him

I'm sure he is good but nobody cares about gi training anymore.

(a) Lots of people care about gi training. It is, after all, the best way to prepare for a gi tournament.

(b) So, shall we talk about all of Ryan's titles in no-gi?

Of course I am. I'm wonderfulness incarnate. Just ask me.

Smooches self

I am defenitely not a teammate of Ryan, but I have watched his videos on youtube; and that kid has some sick setups for the triangle.  I think he is just as good at no-gi as he is at gi grappling. 

Check these setups out:

http://tiny-link.com/vl.asp?h=7716244771HOOZNK&l=

Certainly a very nice transition from the feigned hip bump sweep to the triangle.

Interesting, i kinda just glanced at this thread a few days ago, never really read the descriptions just kinda saw it and left. But i was rolling with this rather good dude today and i wasn't getting any of my normal guard stuff, i couldn't get any underhooks/overhooks from butterfly, and i just kinda went for it, and on the third try i actually got into triangle position lol. Pretty sweet considdering i'd put no time or effort into remembering it.

I think i'll definately experiment a bit with this now.

yeah i actually just watched taht, if i can get that to work it'll fit nicely in my game

You really don't see that type of flexible guard anymore. Rigan Machado had that when he was younger (inverted to triangle).

I was impressed by his skills against Renato Tavares. Looks like Ryan will be a World Champion fairly soon.

cool stuff, will be trying this out (I'm a lanky flexible guy who ends up in upside down guard at times so why not!)

"It's like the Twister. People automatically assume just becuase he is good at it and uses it often that he created it."

Wrong.

people dont assume that eddie bravo invented the twister, its been in wrestling for many years. But from my understanding he did create (or perfect) the set up for the twister from side control.

ttt

awesome. THanks!