ryron, and rener gracie....where are they now?

for about two or three years there, they were really popular on the bjj tournament scene. ryron was the more dominant one while rener was known for his footlocks. its almost like after ryron lost to laimon, they both fell off the planet. i know that rener is really big into promoting the gracie academy. and they do teach there alot. but i havent seen them compete in forever. their younger brother ralek is the only one competing in that family...and he is doin mma.

Per the Rorion column in Masters magazine about a year ago, the Gracie Academy no longer competes or promotes sport jiu-jitsu tournaments. They felt that sport jj develops habits that puts you in danger in a real fight. Hence they decided to try to get back to the roots of being prepared 100% for challenge matches, etc. Ralek has decided to fight in Japan with the longer rounds and less stand ups. Ryron is trying to get a reality show out of the country where there are no time limits and no rules to the fight.

huh

because its unfair to the other competitors. the pure water jiu jitsu defeats all!

No doubt, Im biased, but have we all seen the RYRON VS LAIMON fight?

Did Laimon really win by points? Yes. Was Ryron EVER in trouble? NO. Did Laimon RUN from Ryron? YES. Was Laimon in any trouble of being submitted? YES!

Find the DVD, watch it, post your comments.

Another event (DVD available) to watch is the "Southern California Pro-Am" a few big names competed there: Jesse Glover, Cassio Werneck (Mundial Champ), Joe Setvenson, Mayhem Miller, Paulo Guillobel, Andy Wang, Drew Ficket all competed. RENER the final by submission. Have you all seen this?
Having an INFORMED opinion helps and is important. In closing have you seen Rener's match vs Gordo Correia at the Pan Ams? Check it out.

Rick T, make it easy for us and post the clips here.

Rick T has just orally defecated the truth all over this thread.

Thank you. Been a long time since someone on here has actually made sense.

starts slow clap

"Did Laimon really win by points? Yes. Was Ryron EVER in trouble? NO. Did Laimon RUN from Ryron? YES. Was Laimon in any trouble of being submitted? YES! "

I disagree, when I watch the fight I see Laimon getting all the takedowns, getting the guard pass, standing up whenever he wanted while all Ryron was able to do was drop into leglocks which Laimon escaped. I doubt many competitors can tap Ryron so with that in mind I think Laimon did everything he needed to

RICK! You're alive!

I haven't seen you in months! What's up my friend???

PS - Rick is right about the SoCal ProAm (though I don't know if it answers what they're up to right now, because that was 2003)

Thanks for the support. For the sake of true integrity, and this forum, we must keep ourselves objectively informed.

My comments are just my opinions after actually WATCHING the events.

TT:

Yes I am alive!! Im a granpa now, lots of stuff going on lately. I know I still gotta come by and get the rest of the mats, and book a date for my last private. How did the MMA seminar go? How's the MSD Crew doing?

Rick T - Thanks for the support. For the sake of true integrity, and this forum, we must keep ourselves objectively informed.

My comments are just my opinions after actually WATCHING the events.

TT:

Yes I am alive!! Im a granpa now, lots of stuff going on lately. I know I still gotta come by and get the rest of the mats, and book a date for my last private. How did the MMA seminar go? How's the MSD Crew doing?

which kid is the parent ?

twinkletoesCT - RICK! You're alive!

I haven't seen you in months! What's up my friend???

PS - Rick is right about the SoCal ProAm (though I don't know if it answers what they're up to right now, because that was 2003)

the boys have been hitting alot of hollywood parties.

ttt

What Up 12 !!! Greetings from the "East Side". Its my son Richard who is now the proud father of my first grandchild, her name is TRINITY. Richard has a lot on his plate right now as he just recently graduated from the Police Academy. My daughter Allahna re-enlisted in the ARMY and is currently at Ft Knox, Kentucky training for yet another deployment abroad. I have missed Torrance and my "West Side" trips, but recently traveled to Virginia to train with Rener. All the best to you and yours.

Rick T.

Congratulations, my friend!

Come by anytime. And the seminar was outstanding.

"I am suprised they don't support sport BJJ tournaments. They had there own which was set up for no points, and no time limit. What ever happend to that?"

I competed in that 2 times. They decided that even that kind of thing watered down the training for only a real fight. In discussions with direct Helio students like Pedro Valente they came to the conclusion that sport jiu-jitsu training was taking time away from being 100% prepared for a real fight.

I don't know if they truly believe this or its just bullshit.

But the idea that a run of the mill bluebelt from most schools could not handle himself in a street fight with someone who is most likely never trained a day in their lives is simply absurd.

FatBuddha - "I am suprised they don't support sport BJJ tournaments. They had there own which was set up for no points, and no time limit. What ever happend to that?"

I competed in that 2 times. They decided that even that kind of thing watered down the training for only a real fight. In discussions with direct Helio students like Pedro Valente they came to the conclusion that sport jiu-jitsu training was taking time away from being 100% prepared for a real fight.

im sure this is based on the average guy ,maybe 2 to 3 yrs of training max.sports bjj and mma have bad habits for certain situations.

"im sure this is based on the average guy ,maybe 2 to 3 yrs of training max.sports bjj and mma have bad habits for certain situations."

True, but the sport aspect of the sport is also how new technique and physical attributes get developed the best.

Seems a bit shortsighted in the grand scheme of things.

No problem JR, anytime.