Ryron Gracie a 5th degree black belt????

And Rener a 4th degree...How long have Ryron and Rener been blackbelts??

https://www.gracieuniversity.com/LC/about_view.aspx?c=63QJ4TGT7X&n=28

I got my black belt 10 years ago,now a 3rd degree,had mine years befor they did.

its a pure water stripe.

they were like purples ten years ago, if that

Helio didn't follow the CBJJ IFBJJ rules and promoted how he saw fit.

Same thing with Carlson.

Randy, does Joe follow those guidelines or does he follow his own?Just curious.

Shen,hes old school,I won't get another stripe for another four years

During UFC 1 Royce was  a 4th Degree if I remember correctly(correct me if I'm wrong)...he was around 26 or 27 at the time, Ryron is I believe 28... So maybe that is just the time frame Helio promoted?  

It's non-standard and meaningless.

The first black belt is the only one given for ability. All the degrees come automatically. IFBJJ has their own schedule, which has also changed in the last few years. 15 years ago no one expected jiu jitsu to be this big; many of the rules are being made up on the fly.

When I started with Rickson he was a 7th degree black belt. 15 years later, at least on his current website, he is still a 7th degree black belt.

The reason Rickson was 7 th degree for so long is to recieve 8 th degree you must be retired from competition (also to wear the red/black you must be retired)and Rickson was still looking for MMA fights. Last year he received his 8 th degree.

It is strange, but many said that Rorion received his red belt years before he should have.

graciesrule, while true on that little "rule", it only applies if you are going by IFBJJ standards. Rickson turned that rank down, by his own admission, as he considered it a old man's rank. Hell the reality is if he had not done so he would have gotten his 9th before Rorian according to most.

I agree with john, it's basically meaningless.

IF you are still active in BJJ, you should get your stripes according to a set schedule, a la the IFBJJ. Period.

Overall, it is the fairest way across the board.

Anything else and it becomes a clusterf@ck of organizations vying to have higher ranked professors than other organizations. Anyone from the TMA world knows all about this; People spend too much time worry about it and playing politics to get promoted, etc.

It's simply not worth it.

If you are active you should get your stripes and no one should get them earlier, no matter who they are.

^^ Unless you ARE a Gracie

What Shen said.

"^^ Unless you ARE a Gracie"

Exactly...as someone on here once stated, they should be able to do whatever they want since their family created the art. Obviously they agree

if you know anyone 4rth degree or lower that can tap him, teach better, or who knows more about jiu-jitsu, let me know

FatBuddha - if you know anyone 4rth degree or lower that can tap him, teach better, or who knows more about jiu-jitsu, let me know

BJ Penn and a ton of other guys.

In GJJ/BJJ the highest rank attainable based on physical skill is 7 th degree and yes Rickson is way better than Rorion is on a physical level but Rorion got his Black Belt about 7 years before Rickson and is also considered a better teacher but has been accused of holding back. In MMA Bj would beat Ryron but in a straight Jiu Jitsu match Ryron would beat BJ pretty easily and his knowledge of BJJ/GJJ is on a whole another level. In sport BJJ very few beats Ryron maybe Roger and Jacare but submission only.

graciesrule - In GJJ/BJJ the highest rank attainable based on physical skill is 7 th degree and yes Rickson is way better than Rorion is on a physical level but Rorion got his Black Belt about 7 years before Rickson and is also considered a better teacher but has been accused of holding back. In MMA Bj would beat Ryron but in a straight Jiu Jitsu match Ryron would beat BJ pretty easily and his knowledge of BJJ/GJJ is on a whole another level. In sport BJJ very few beats Ryron maybe Roger and Jacare but submission only.

Where do you get this information about "7th degree BB"; according to whom is that the case?

There is not "testing" or evaluation for ranks above BB, it's usually just about time in rank.

"In MMA Bj would beat Ryron but in a straight Jiu Jitsu match Ryron would beat BJ pretty easily and his knowledge of BJJ/GJJ is on a whole another level. In sport BJJ very few beats Ryron maybe Roger and Jacare but submission only.
You have ignored this user."

Your out of your mind....BJ would handly Ryon just the same as Jacare and Roger.

graciesrule - 

In MMA Bj would beat Ryron but in a straight Jiu Jitsu match Ryron would beat BJ pretty easily and his knowledge of BJJ/GJJ is on a whole another level. In sport BJJ very few beats Ryron maybe Roger and Jacare but submission only.

BJ would destroy Ryron in straight BJJ, you damn fool!