S. Lee is upset that whites move into black areas

Spike Lee had some harsh words for whites moving into predominantly black neighborhoods in New York City while speaking at a Black History Month lecture at Pratt Institute on Tuesday.

As 1010 WINS’ Carol D’Auria reported Wednesday, the director and Brooklyn native said that white newcomers to neighborhoods like Fort Greene and Bedford-Stuyvesant are doing the wrong things.
Lee told the audience that while he’s all for democracy, he doesn’t like that whites are trying to impose their standards and wealthy ideas on everyone and everything, D’Auria reported.
According to Lee, with white gentrification comes disruption. The entire rant was transcribed by New York magazine. Here’s an excerpt:
“Here’s the thing: I grew up here in Fort Greene. I grew up here in New York. It’s changed. And why does it take an influx of white New Yorkers in the south Bronx, in Harlem, in Bed Stuy, in Crown Heights for the facilities to get better? The garbage wasn’t picked up every (expletive) day when I was living in 165 Washington Park. P.S. 20 was not good. P.S. 11. Rothschild 294. The police weren’t around. When you see white mothers pushing their babies in strollers, three o’clock in the morning on 125th Street, that must tell you something.”
Some Fort Greene residents who spoke to D’Auria on Wednesday agreed that high-priced restaurants and bars that cater to whites could breed resentment.
“I’m not an old-timer, I go to these places. But I could imagine if I was – you’d feel excluded,” said Drew. “If an area that had been tolerant of or open to a certain kind of culture and then it’s changing. That could cause a lot of conflict. I can see that happening here.”
Meanwhile, Whyel told D’Auria that he doesn’t have a problem with the changes. He said if because of the whites the neighborhood improves, that’s great. And of Spike Lee’s complaints, “If he needs something to complain about focus on some other stuff: shootings, drugs.”
Rafeal said he doesn’t agree or disagree with Lee’s comments, but that he has noticed more white people in the neighborhood and doesn’t have a problem with it. “To me, everything is still the same. You know what I’m saying? Nothing’s changed. (It’s a good neighborhood?) Yeah, for both, for everybody to live out here.”
Matt said he agrees with the filmmaker.
“When people move in and they pay a lot of money for something then they expect it to be as bland as they are,” he said.
He added he loves the diversity and wishes the blacks and whites in the neighborhood would interact even more.
Jackie said she’s noticed the new white neighbors and she’s OK with it.
“Still the same crime. Ain’t nothing gonna change just cause white people moved to the neighborhood,” she said.

Trying to give a fuck.

Nope. Can't quite do it. :|

Just like the man.

Keeping people down by driving their quality of living up.

Cracker ass crackers.

Spike lee is an ignorant fuck in the same mold as Jesse Jackson and al sharpton.

If all 3 of them used their clout to speak about drugs and guns and gang violence something might actually be done. Instead all 3 of them hate whitey. And it's never anyone but whiteys fault. If all 3 of them disappeared the world would not be worse off.

At least spike lee acknowledged Kevin loves gameplay. Phone Post 3.0

Spike has a very short memory. Those neighborhoods other than Harlem were Irish and Italians less than 40-60 yrs ago. Phone Post 3.0

Spike Lee is a racist fuck. And yes, those areas he speaks of were Irish and Italian and not black.

Was part of his argument actually 'I grew up there and when I was a kid they didn't pick the garbage up every day'? He takes issue with the garbage being picked up every day? Also, apparently when he was younger a white woman would NEVER be able to walk a stroller down the street at 3 in the morning. You ignorant white fucks!

That might be the dumbest thing ever said.

Others said it first, those were white then black and now becoming white.

Who the fuck wants to live where it's not safe to push a kid in a stroller?

Fuck you whitey for not keeping this neighborhood a shithole of the highest order.

Revolt black people! Throw your trash in the street, rob shoot and kill. Make this place a much worse place to live like when I was a kid.

Meanwhile Spike is wiping his ass with $100 bills in a penthouse somewhere that is safe to push a kid in a stroller Phone Post 3.0

This is nothing new.

The black panthers preached black neighborhoods with black only businesses.

Muhammad Ali was against integration as well.

The only difference is they and Spike Lee are given a pass when they say it while anyone else saying is is labelled a racist and a bigot.

Fuck That Cocksucker

The only reasonable thing for those people to do is escape to Detroit or Chicago.

I thought this was Stan Lee. I couldn't figure out why Stan would give a shit. Now it makes sense and I can't seem to care what Spike says or does, so with that I'm out. Phone Post 3.0

Cookie Monster - I thought this was Stan Lee. I couldn't figure out why Stan would give a shit. Now it makes sense and I can't seem to care what Spike says or does, so with that I'm out. Phone Post 3.0

LMAO, I thought the same thing.

Samurai Clown - Spike lee is an ignorant fuck in the same mold as Jesse Jackson and al sharpton.

If all 3 of them used their clout to speak about drugs and guns and gang violence something might actually be done. Instead all 3 of them hate whitey. And it's never anyone but whiteys fault. If all 3 of them disappeared the world would not be worse off.

At least spike lee acknowledged Kevin loves gameplay. Phone Post 3.0

this.

The argument these days is that while I agree black and brown areas are policed more often than white areas, that it's somehow racist to arrest blacks for drugs and petty crime because we would most likely catch white people doing it in equal numbers were the policy reversed.

No personal accountability. No thought to how stupid one must be to know that the police are constantly in your area, yet brazenly staying involved in illegal activity under the guise that "it's all I can do in the ghetto"

It's like knowing there is a speed trap where they always pull over red sports cars breaking the speed limit, and flying by 50 MPH over the speed limit in a red corvette. The system made need some work, but the stupidity of the people that are "victims" is astounding.

There is another thread on this.

NY Papers have those comments. The same complaints he is making were the same comments that were being made a generation ago when the change over was the opposite way.

Glad things have not changed.

A lot of city neighborhoods weren't black before the 1960s.

It's white people taking them back, IMO

Still, I admire their desire to fight to keep their neighborhoods looking shitty.

Anger stunts your growth.

Obviously.

Daredevil73 - 
Cookie Monster - I thought this was Stan Lee. I couldn't figure out why Stan would give a shit. Now it makes sense and I can't seem to care what Spike says or does, so with that I'm out. Phone Post 3.0

Me three!

As an asian person...Spike Lee owes my people an apology for remaking Oldboy...

cdmontgo - 
Daredevil73 - 

Me three!

i thought it was about some white bread