Safe injection sites; good idea or total bullshit?

So I know In places like Portland and SanFran liberals and progressives are pushing safe injection sites as an alternative for junkies shooting up on the streets. 

The junkies come in, are provided clean needles and are allowed to shoot up in a "Safe" environment with trained medical staff around in case someone ODs. 

On the surface this seems like some real Clown world shit as why the fuck are we encouraging junkies to shoot up. However, on the flip side, there have been some interesting things that come along with safe injection sites and some might argue it is more cost effective and safer for a community to provide a safe place to shoot up. 

What say you, OG; safe injection centers, total bullshit or good idea?

as long as there is no vaping or plastic straws it's probably a good idea

5 Likes

They're building one in my city. It's in one of the worst parts of the city right next to a hospital where nurses, visitors and patients get robbed all the time.

Up here in Canada we don't call it a "safe injection" site though. We call it a "safe consumption" site so the crackheads and meth junkies won't feel discriminated against.

What kind of oppressive operation are you guys running down there??

2 Likes

All of the data suggests they are a good thing. They reduce overdoses, medical costs, deaths, and overall use.  Unquestionably better than the idiotic and obviously failed approach of criminalizing the personal use of drugs.

1 Like
HillboFrateTrane -

Just legalize opioids and make narcan super scarce. Anybody who has a taste for dope can get as high as they want whenever they want, since at the end of the day that's all they really want to do by that point. They nod off one time and never wake up. Peaceful end to hopeless existence. After a few generations the problem will be all but gone. 

While this is super harsh, I feel like there is some validity to that argument. Actions have consequences. If adults want to play Russian roulette every time they shoot up then let them but why are tax dollars going towards plunging narcan into some zombie when the EMTs are just gonna be back there the next week doing the same shit?

i know most will say that's fucked up, and some might wish upon me that someone close to me gets addicted to shit so I can gain some perspective. However, someone very, very close to me got hooked on opioids and I've seen the dumbass choices they made again and again as an adult. As I said above, actions have consequences and being an adult is accepting those consequences. 

Are these done through charity and volunteers, or is it the city/state doing it

It's a great idea.

It gives a clear target to nuke from space.

as long as a city upholds the law outside of it, it seems to work.

When they don't the surrounding area looks like Dawn of the Dead with needles and fecal matter everwhere.

I've been to shitholes all over the world in my travels. There is no place on earth nearly as depressing than the Hastings Street area of Vancouver BC. It's the location of the safe injection site, and also the black hole of despair and human misery where junkies go to slide into eventual death. There is really no escaping it once you fall in. 

Nitecrawler - 

So I know In places like Portland and SanFran liberals and progressives are pushing safe injection sites as an alternative for junkies shooting up on the streets. 

The junkies come in, are provided clean needles and are allowed to shoot up in a "Safe" environment with trained medical staff around in case someone ODs. 

On the surface this seems like some real Clown world shit as why the fuck are we encouraging junkies to shoot up. However, on the flip side, there have been some interesting things that come along with safe injection sites and some might argue it is more cost effective and safer for a community to provide a safe place to shoot up. 

What say you, OG; safe injection centers, total bullshit or good idea?

Bunny colvin would be proud. Hamsterdam!

they discussed for here in east coast Portland but don't think they've enacted it. at least we have helpful signs!

LeroyJ -

I've been to shitholes all over the world in my travels. There is no place on earth nearly as depressing than the Hastings Street area of Vancouver BC. It's the location of the safe injection site, and also the black hole of despair and human misery where junkies go to slide into eventual death. There is really no escaping it once you fall in. 

SF is like Hastings on a much larger scale. The open air drug abuse and waste is rampant.

LeroyJ -

While it looks horrible, it also makes policing, social services and medical assistance easier. I would rather have the majority of junkies within a few blocks from each other than spread out over miles. 

just throw around some free fentanyl, most ofem will OD and die

1 Like

Maybe those junkies can shit in there too instead of the sidewalks.

I'd rather walk past somebody shooting up then walk past somebody defecating on the sidewalk.

Between the toes, Mel Profit style

1 Like
turducken -

All of the data suggests they are a good thing. They reduce overdoses, medical costs, deaths, and overall use.  Unquestionably better than the idiotic and obviously failed approach of criminalizing the personal use of drugs.

I accidentally voted this post up (wasn't trying to vote either way), but the data is bullshit.  Our city just opened one recently. Already there has been a significant increase in homelessness, crime, propery theft , property damage, neighboring businesses moving or going under, etc.  We've had to bring in more resouces to deal with all the bullshit. That's the data I care about now.  It's seriously mindblowing how quickly an area can turn to complete shit.

And decriminalizing it would only exacerbate the problems.  It's not just the drugs, its all the illegal bullshit that comes with it.  And as harsh as it is, I would honestly rather have my taxes go to getting them off the street rather than keeping them cozy while they rob and steal everything and anything they can.  

If you like meth heads walking past your house or business at all hours and doing break and enters and stealing  shit out of cars in the neighbourhood for their next fix its a great idea. 

turducken - 

Is it really a good thing to reduce overdoses and deaths? We're talking about junkies here.

HillboFrateTrane -

Just legalize opioids and make narcan super scarce. Anybody who has a taste for dope can get as high as they want whenever they want, since at the end of the day that's all they really want to do by that point. They nod off one time and never wake up. Peaceful end to hopeless existence. After a few generations the problem will be all but gone. 

Man, its just really fucking sad. I read this post and just shake my head. How am I only granted one VoteUp per day?!?

1 Like