Sage Northcutt found the golden ticket.

Link to original article: http://bit.ly/29tJTri

On July 9th we will witness the biggest MMA event of all time. From top to bottom this card is stacked with former champions, veterans, and the biggest stars. Its been a long time in the making. People have been waiting for this event ever since UFC 100 and their expectations have been growing.

The one fight that sort of stands out from the card is Sage Northcutt vs Enrique Marin. These fighters are still very new to the division. It could be debated that this fight doesn’t belong on this card.

Joe Silva said “You had every fighter on the roster wanting to be on this card. If it is the first prelim of the night it is an honor to be on UFC 200.” Sage Northcutt should be doubly honored for jumping veterans who have been fighting in the UFC for much longer that wanted the chance.

When it comes to total fights, performance bonuses, and years fought Northcutt is far below the average of other fighters on this card. The average amount of fights that a fighter has on this card is 22 with 10 of them being in the UFC. Sage only has 8 fights, and only 3 in the UFC. The other fighters chosen for this card have an average of 3 performance bonuses. Sage has none. The average time that the other fighters were in the UFC is 9 years, Sage has been in the UFC for 2 years.

Being as new as he is, I think it is going to be a lot of pressure to be involved in something like this at such a young age. Especially coming of a loss and what he has been through lately.

Northcutt recently talked about it on Ariel Helwani’s MMA HOUR. He said “Coming off of being sick as you can imagine having step throat so severe. I took a while to heal up from that. I actually went up to Canada at Tristar Gym I was there for about 5 weeks and I got sick again. I ended up catching a staph infection while I was there so I was in the hospital for almost a entire week straight with MRSA staph. and that was crazy. So i came back home and had to do some finals. Just recently maybe a month or so ago I healed up completely.”

Joe Silva recently gave his opinion in an interview. “It’s hard to be in the UFc period as deep as the talent pool is and to be in his weightclass which is the deepest weightcleass in the sport. But to have all those expectations thrusted on you at such a young age. So early in your career and having so many people activley rooting against you for your downfall. He had a lot going against him that last fight.”

Regardless of how Joe Silva feels about the pressure on Sage’s shoulders he still booked him to fight on UFC 200. The reasoning seems to be that the UFC has a lot of faith in him and want to give him the push to be a star. Jon Jones fought on the prelims way back on UFC 100 and now he is a star and the headliner for UFC 200. Could they be trying to do the same with Sage Northcutt.

It would be great to look back in a few years and see the growth of Northcutt but I think they are taking a big risk here. It also comes off as seeming a bit forced. This is the biggest opportunity that Sage will ever get and the pressure is on for him to perform. I wish him luck and hope that his story plays out like the UFC is banking on. Good luck Sage.

What do you guys think. Does he deserve to be in the card? Does he fit the theme? Am I being too harsh.

Let me know in the comments or on twitter @MMAFanJesse. Thanks for reading.

In Phone Post 3.0

No, fuck Sage. If they insisted he be on the card he should have been the very first fight. Phone Post 3.0

Sage hasn't been in the ufc for two years. He's done mma for that long. Phone Post 3.0

Good for Sage, so much pressure on him with being under the microscope, pushed by UFC etc. I hope the kid does well... Phone Post 3.0

Seems like a good lad. Goodluck to him. Phone Post 3.0

DyldoWilly - No, fuck Sage. If they insisted he be on the card he should have been the very first fight. Phone Post 3.0

there's nothing wrong with him being on the card IMO but I agree he should be the very first fight 

notsobigmike - He might have a golden ticket, but he's still got to win the fights.

That's why I never understand people who get so caught up about a fighter being pushed or "overhyped."

Perhaps more than any other sport, these things work themselves out organically in MMA.

I don't completely disagree with you.

But in this case. Northcutt is coming off a loss and still offered a coveted UFC 200 spot. A loss earned him a spot on the card above Diego Sanchez, Joe Lauzon, Jim Miller, Takanori Gomi, Gegard Mousasi. and all of the other veteran who would have jumped at the chance to be featured on this card.

It is fucking criminal that he is on the televised prelims while legends like Mousasi/Gomi/Lauzon/Sanchez/Miller are on fucking fightpass.

I'll be watching this at a bar, and won't be able to watch those fights but ill be forced to watch Super Sage. Bullshit.

And nothing against the kid, I wish him the best Phone Post 3.0

The frosted tips is what won him a spot. Phone Post 3.0

Good luck to the kid.

IMO They are making an investment in Sage, he is super young, has a clean cut image and is obviously marketable. Sage is only 3 fights into the UFC and he already has more recognition than a lot of the veterans. The UFC loves making stars out of marketable athletes, it's no secret, they take care of the guys/girls that they think have the star power to put fans in the seats and will benefit the promotion.

The fact that he is so young means that there is potential for a long and lucrative relationship between both parties.
If Sage can continue to improve his fighting skills and rise to the top of the food chain in his division, he could be one of the biggest stars the UFC has ever generated. Putting him on the 200 card helps his exposure and it gives him some status/validity amongst casual/non informed fans.

The Sultan - The frosted tips is what won him a spot. Phone Post 3.0
They are pretty dreamy. Phone Post 3.0