SAK AND THE GRACIES

I love allways reading the differnce of opinions on fighters and fights. to many it seems that when you lose you suck when you win sometimes you are good but it depends on how I feel about your win.

Your win needs to be acceptable in context of my own training otherwise I need to rationalize the outcome ie afraid to go to the ground/stall your way to victory.

Ther is so much more to this sport than your last victory so many things go into being a fighter and can affect your performance

It would be great if we could watch and enjoy the fights, support the fighters and events instead of belittling and sitting in judgement I know it seems to be the nature of fans but it really is juvenile

We seem to be only as good as our last performance and are never as nor as bad as our critics or supporters claim..

Using myself as an example I felt I was good once Tried to come back after a long injury layoff and fought lousy performing as if I was sleep waling. Am I good or do I suck.

The truth is always somewher in between

Phil

i dont think its that way now. a person like sak or
coleman will most always fight with pride and respect
from the fans nowadays. shoji just got dominated, but
i havent heard of anyone saying he "sux". i still think
of him as a great top middleweight like i did
before........

phil good point!

It is very much that way I have seen a couple people say Almeida did not impress them and shoji sucked anyway.

The people who make these statements just manage to demonstrate their own ignorance and lack of ability to see the compexities of fighting

We get this after every event. Look at the idiot who came on here and demeaned Eddy after the MSNBC thing about his fight. Poor guy won an amatuer fight and he catches crap

For someone to say that Almeida didn't impress them just blows my mind. What does a fighter have to do other than dominate every second of the fight.

The Gracies ask for everything they get, also, the Gracies were the greatest in Brazil for many years. Then they came to U.S. and in a short period of time the U.S. and then Japan passed the Gracies. The point is when you control the game you will win, when you have to play a game that you didnt invent your skills are fully tested. They will continue to lose and bitch about it. There will be many more Saks to come.

There will indeed be many more Saks to come, but don't expect Rickson and Royce to fight them.

Not only have the Gracies been passed up, their schools are notorious for being rip offs. They don't teach paying students the techniques. That sucks.

Todd,

What is your opinion of Din Thomas?

WrayGun.

Good post Phil, everyone needs to realize these guys are in the ring for a reason...they are tough! All of them!

I have nothing but love for anybody who gets in there and gives it his/her best. Love the sport, love the fights, love the sportsmenship. I like to think most fans are like me and that the ones who aren't are just so loud they get more notice. Hope I'm right about that.

Save the negative attitude for Monday Nitro or whatever it is that pro rasslin' fans watch (nothing against rasslin', I respect those guys, too. That's a hard way to make a living. I just can't stand watching that stuff)

Todd,

I happen to agree that Din Thomas is a good guy. His comments though, especially the ones after WEF 10 were a bit disturbing. My point is that you said you were slamming the Gracies for the things that they have said. Maybe some of the Gracies are like Din. Good guys if you get to know them.

WrayGun.

i dont even see why gracie fans try to talk...sak has destroyed them numerous times and their posterboy is dodging a fight with him...sakuraba is hands down THE GREATEST fighter in the sport today and people will always be there to criticize the greatest

Yep Phil,It`s whack like that.Personally,I don`t even care anymore,I`m just comin to whoop some ass and if it happens to be my ass that gets whooped,so be it...I`ll go down swingin` and give people their money`s worth.It`s all about the show.The fans can come scream and cuss at me all they want,as long as they come.Supply and demand.The want carnage,I supply it.

"toshan" i will have to disagree with you my friend,
there will not be many more sak's to come.I don't think
people understand what this man has accomplished,his
record of opponents beaten will never be matched the
same goes for igor.We are in a time where
the growth of the sport is increasing fighters will
get a couple of "big" name wins on their records and
then sit back and carefully plan out their careers,
which means build themselves a dojo a make a living
on being a "successful" fighter.We should thank our
lucky stars that we are living in a time where we are
witnessing first hand true greatness and future
legends

Todd,

You are so obsessed and buried over your head in your obstinate dillusional BS about the Gracies that you've completely lost your objectivity and integrity. You don't know any of the Gracies. You hear what you want to hear and ignore what you want to ignore. You fixate on 1 primary issue and due to your imbalanced thinking cannot see the forest for the trees. You are extremely disrespectful to a family that deserves respect for what they have accomplished and brought to the world.

You are only a fan of MMA. If not for Rorion and what he did with UFC you would not even be a fan of MMA because it would not exist.

BTW. Phil is so on the money.

Notice how this post has degenerated into an argument of personal agendas .

Instead of watching fights and enjoying great athletic performances as fans we sit iknowing so much and beliitle those that go out there and do it

"It would be great if we could watch and enjoy the fights, support the fighters and events instead of belittling and sitting in judgement I know it seems to be the nature of fans but it really is juvenile...""Notice how this post has degenerated into an argument of personal agendas..." -Phil Dunlap

Well... That's Todd for you.
He's ALWAYS spamming every thread he his anti-gracie propaganda."My point is that you said you were slamming the Gracies for the things that they have said. Maybe some of the Gracies are like Din. Good guys if you get to know them." - WraygunGreat point! If Todd knew Rickson as much as he "knows" Din, he wouldn't bash him. Fighter bashing sucks hairy balls.