SAK AND THE GRACIES

Q, as a fan, that is what I like in fighters.

I want to see technique and everything, but in the end I don't really care who wins or loses. I want to see a fight and that means attacking from both fighters. The numbers don't tell the story for a real fan anyway.

I'll watch Shoji any day. He always gets in there and fights and is aggressive. He loses his share and may not be the best in the business, but he's one of my favorites win or lose. Same with Sak. There is no way his winning streak will continue if he keeps fighting quality people. It just won't. He won't suck after that.

I agree with Todd in the sense that I think the Gracies (or many of them) brought this on themselves. You reap what you sow, you sleep in the bed you make-- and other assorted cliches. It was ridiculous to claim they have an undefeatable style, or that their style is the best or that they are the best. It's also an impossible standard to live up to, and makes them do silly things, like not tap-- in what is a sport, not a test of family honor or pride.

"Especially Rickson, not just cause of the fighting, but because as people, they are jerks." -Todd Atkins

How do you know this? Have you ever met and talked to the man? If you haven't gotten to know someone personally, but are basing your judgements on what hearsay, media sound bites and rumor then you don't have a very strong position to state opinions. Feel free to make up your own mind based upon this limited knowledge, but I would want to be a little more sure before throwing around judgements on someone's character in public.

I haven't met the man, so you won't see me taking a strong public stand on him one way or another. I will say however that he merits the presumption of being a good person in my mind due to the opinions of people I know and trust who have spent significant time with him. I have also yet to see anyone who has spent any time with Rickson come on here and post anything negative. For me that outweighs the negative statements people like you who have never met the man continue to plaster across every thread mentioning his name.

Here's the thing. Yes it sucks when people talk crap about fighters but this forum has over 30,000 members. The majority of who do not post much. If we have 10 or even 20 guys who are consistantly bad mouthing people then we are doing far better then the rest of society IMHO.

Brian P.

Surely even you can see that there's a bit of a difference between the racial slurs of John Rocker, and having something less than flattering to say about the skills of other fighters. Of course one can criticise public statements without having met the person. It is another thing to continually denigrate a persons character based upon a few lines, usually taken out of context. A fighter has a right to his own opinion, right or wrong, just like anyone else.

All I'm saying is give up the vendetta. This has nothing to do with feeling sorry for anyone, this has to do with expressing my own annoyance at your ongoing picketting of the name Rickson Gracie. Surely not EVERY time his name is mentioned need we be reminded of your personal opinion of him.

To some people this obsession of yours might make you come across as a "jerk" or an "ass."
1) Your actions on the forum and your internet persona are probably not a complete indicator of who you are(although you've supplied many more quotes in posting than Rickson ever will in the press).
2) Invalid or not anyone would have a right to form this opinion of you. I would however be equally annoyed if someone where to bash your character in every instance in which your name was mentioned.

In short, feel free to have your own opinions (right or wrong), but show a little respect (not to Rickson, but to everyone else on the forum who may or may not agree with you) and give up the crusade. There isn't a person on the forum who hasn't already seen your opinions expressed dozens of times.

Listen I do believe that to a degree the gracies have reaped what they have sown read Ricksons interview in BB they still have a tendency to belittle other fighters.

Comparing them to Rocker is rediculous. I can not understand the mindset that someone can dislike people so intensly that they really do not know. I always believe a well thought out logical argument works so much better than name calling

by the way this also applies to a number of Todds "fans" also

ttt, cause this thread apparently won't ever disappear from "my threads". What is the record length of time for a thread to stay dormant but still survive?

Why is Todd's opinion propoganda?? Believe it or not A LOT OF US AGREE!!!

Not everyone on the UG has Rickson, Royler, Or Royce's dick in their mouth.

ttt Can anyone still see this thread, or is it just stuck in "MY THREADS" forever?

I don't understand! People love to talk bad thing about the Gracies!!! We cannot forget, because of them we have the jiu-jitsu, if wasn't the Gracies we'd still with the kung fu. They have a whole new genaration coming and they're diferent, without any arrogance. Think about Riron, Renner, Crosley, Rodrigo, Roger... They all very good and they're coming.

whats with the names in blue

Bump

Congrats on my challenge to you to find an old thread earlier than 2004.

1 Like

This thread was so refreshing and pleasant to read.

I wish the forum was still like this.