Sambo in Massachusetts?

Is this person any good? Does anyone have any information on Master Galperin?

I get a funny feeling any time I see someone using the term "master" in their title for any martial sport.

Almost all who use it never are....

I get a funny feeling any time I see someone using the term "master" in their title for any martial sport.

Almost all who use it never are....

actually coach...Scott Sonnon has heard of him and I believe what he heard was reputable. He does this as a community service, it costs very little money so I don't think he's trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes.

I was going to go there and what stopped me was his insistence that I do not take any other martial art while with him. He said he didn't want me to confuse his teachings/class with stuff I was taking at IMDC (Joe Maffei, the JKD Moderator on this forum). He seemed very old school and is still difficult to understand...very thick Russian accent.

http://www.combatsambo.com/services9.htm

he has a website...

http://www.combatsambo.com

Again, ANYONE who insists that the word "master" be used when speaking about him, sets off my alarm bells.

I remember the first Shingitai camp I attended. Every top member was there, and NO ONE expected or wanted to be called master.

The person may very well be highly skilled; but that isn't what I am speaking to.

The master thing is just kinda odd to me.

Thanks for the info guys.

If Scott has heard of him then he definitely is a master.

I know of lots of masters, I know of NONE in Judo or Sambo who would refer to themselves as one.

It is not done in Judo at all, we save that for Kano.

Again, you are looking at the skill, I am looking at the ego.

point taken coach and he does have an air about him...

...and therein usually lies the problem.

Same with sifu or sensei. If you know Japanese, you know that sensei (teacher) is a both title and a profession.

Just as I would never refer to myself as "Miagi SAN" (I'd say "I am Miagi), I would never refer to myself as "SENSEI Williams" or Williams SENSEI". That would be up to you.

Yes, the sensei comes AFTER the last name at any rate.

I also love how they make you learn Japanese and Korean names for stuff, but they don't make you learn it correctly. Especially if you're third or fourth generation under an American instructor. At that point, it doesn't even sound like the same language.

BINGO

You can always tell someone who has never been there when they mess up the correct place to put the sensei.

soo des'!

Are there any Sambo schools or instructors in Massachusetts? I heard there were some around Boston.

Master Galperin in the Newton YMCA...Combat Sambo.