Santa Maria BBQ

I had a gift card to Trader Joe's, and whilst perusing the various selections, I stumbled upon a tri-tip roast. It was then that I remembered reading about Santa Maria "BBQ", and the popularity of this cut of beef, which is largely unavailable on the East Coast - I've never seen it outside of TJ's. I picked one up, and prepared it according to tradtion - rubbed only in salt, pepper, and garlic salt. I prepared a live oak fire, and let it burn down to large coals. I seared the roast quickly, then moved it to the cold part of the grill, but not before adding a less-traditional garlic paste to the top of the roast. I let it hang out for about 45 minutes @ 250 degrees (temperature dropped down pretty quick last night, I would have liked to have kept it around 325-350).

I don't know if it was the seasoning, oak coals, cut of meat, or the fact that it was grass-fed & hormone free, but this shit fuckin ruled. A great balance of tenderness and flavor. The odd thing was that the sections cooked a little past medium were better than those cooked medium rare. The garlic paste also roasted and carmelized nicely.

I highly recommend picking one up and giving it a shot.

I'll check it out. Time for me to hit TJs anyway.

On the topic of Trader Joe's packaged meats, I can say avoid the, "Maui style ribs" (marinated boneless shortribs). I gave them a try and was suprised to find out they totally sucked ass. It's the first time I ever really bought anything from Trader Joe's that totally sucked ass.

Santa Maria BBQ is half the reason I bought this grill. I really like your garlic paste idea. There is something so simple and delicious about a good tri-tip. I'm paying about $3.50 a pound for certified angus at Restaurant Depot. Don't forget the pinquito beans!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

damn, that things a beauty - I need to upgrade soon, I'm working with this cheap thing right now....

gotta have "SusieQ" seasoning for this kind of cooking

http://www.susieqbrand.com/

"I'm paying about $3.50 a pound for certified angus at Restaurant Depot."

Erm, I don't have to have a decoder ring or get jumped in or anything to go there do I? Cuz I wanna.

I'm working with this cheap thing right now....

Remember it's the cook and not the cooker. You can make great chow on a hibachi.

Erm, I don't have to have a decoder ring or get jumped in or anything to go there do I? Cuz I wanna.

It's a chain of wholesale stores. You can see the Fountain Valley location from the freeway @ Euclid, it's on the right if you're going south. They have fresh & frozen foods, paper goods, cleaning supplies, equipment etc. If you were to compare Costco to a regular market, Restaurant Depot is like that to Costco. To become a member business license, or proof that you represent a non-profit organization. My buddy owns a sandwich shop, he put me on his membership. It's not hard to get in, I think you can even use a visitor pass once. The only thing they're tough about is liquor, you must have a liquor license to buy it there. No big deal, their beer and wine selection in mediocre, and no hard liquor anyway.

That box that the ribs are sitting on is a case of chicken leg quarters (40 lb), it was $10. lol Admittedly that was on sale, it's usually about $15. They have excellent meat, it's all cryovaced, all certified Angus. Nice stuff. I buy a lot of skirt steak, tri-tips, cases of baby back ribs & boneless rib-eye roasts. 5 pound bags on chicken drumettes for about $8, (I like me some hot wings). I got a case of Haas avocados(48 avos) for $12 before the 4th of July. I think you'd spend that for 6 avos at Von's etc.

Check it out

Sami,

The site states...

"All you need to become a member is your Certificate of Authority (business license), or proof that you represent a non-profit organization"

I do buying for our facility... part of a very large corporation. Do you think they would press me for a "business license" if I registered online? My wife works for a non-profit organization... but not sure what kind of proof they need that she "represents" that organization?

Thanks!

Neat! I know some dudes, I'm sure I can hook it up.

now I'm going to have to create a fake religion so I can say I represent a non-profit

ttt