Santino DeFranco editorial: Is Askren a pawn?

weebrave -
JeffersonDArcyChoke - It really makes no sense for the UFC to pay a premium for Askren.

He won't draw money on PPV.

His style won't change so it is not like he will excite the masses.

Even at a low price it's bad for UFC because if Askren comes in and grapplefucks his way to the title you end up with a champ who isn't marketable yet no one can effectively defeat him.

I think this move is just a fat guy saying he doesn't want anymore pizza so you'll leave that last slice in the box and he can grab it cold for breakfast tomorrow.

Bellator just wants to resign Askren on the cheap and the only way to do this is to force UFC to overpay OR force Askren to take a lowball deal. Phone Post

He is more exciting than gsp and he is a great trash talker Phone Post

C'mon now. I'll agree that gsp's fights have been less exciting than he was in the past, but to say Ben is more exciting is 'worthy of ridicule' (ridiculous) Phone Post

TheGoldenRule -
weebrave -
JeffersonDArcyChoke - It really makes no sense for the UFC to pay a premium for Askren.

Even at a low price it's bad for UFC because if Askren comes in and grapplefucks his way to the title you end up with a champ who isn't marketable yet no one can effectively defeat him.

I think this move is just a fat guy saying he doesn't want anymore pizza so you'll leave that last slice in the box and he can grab it cold for breakfast tomorrow.

Bellator just wants to resign Askren on the cheap and the only way to do this is to force UFC to overpay OR force Askren to take a lowball deal. Phone Post

C'mon now. I'll agree that gsp's fights have been less exciting than he was in the past, but to say Ben is more exciting is 'worthy of ridicule' (ridiculous) Phone Post

Why exactly? GPS jabs or doubles to taking no chances on top. Askren is constantly chain wrestling and smothering his opponent. His last opponent stuffed three takedowns and askren just kept changing takedowns until he got it . He went for a ton of submissions and threw 239 punches. GPS just rode nick diazs back not even trying to put the hooks in or choke. Phone Post

weebrave -
TheGoldenRule -
weebrave -

Why exactly? GPS jabs or doubles to taking no chances on top. Askren is constantly chain wrestling and smothering his opponent. His last opponent stuffed three takedowns and askren just kept changing takedowns until he got it . He went for a ton of submissions and threw 239 punches. GPS just rode nick diazs back not even trying to put the hooks in or choke. Phone Post

Don't wanna get into a sparring match with you. You're entitled to believe Ben is more exciting than GSP. more power to ya.
But since the Diaz fight was your point of reference, let's start there.
First, I admitted that GSP has been less exciting lately.
Second, If jabs n doubles is all you saw, watch again. You might actually find yourself to be missing a bit.
If GSP didn't have the striking capabilities he possesses, he may not have been able to take Nick down and take his back at will ad nauseam throughout the fight.
let's also not forget it was Nick effin Diaz. When has Ben fought anyone ranked as high as Nick? I'm not saying that Ben hasn't fought worthy fighters. I'm not even saying Ben wouldn't be able to do the same to Nick that GSP did. However, since you referenced that specific fight as proof that Ben is more exciting, that would render you reference point moot. Phone Post

I agree, gsp used to be exciting. I understand the difference of competition. And yeah I don't want to argue I just can't stand watching gsp take no chances. Askren has had me saying wow quite a few times, maybe cuz I'm a former wrestler Phone Post

weebrave - I agree, gsp used to be exciting. I understand the difference of competition. And yeah I don't want to argue I just can't stand watching gsp take no chances. Askren has had me saying wow quite a few times, maybe cuz I'm a former wrestler Phone Post

I'm right there with you as it pertains to the beauty that is Ben's wrestling. But I also believe that if he ever earned/ was given the chance to fight GSP, his tds would get stuffed, and we'd see an exciting striking clinic put on by Georges.
You did make me think that is love to see Diaz fight Ben Phone Post

TheGoldenRule -
weebrave - I agree, gsp used to be exciting. I understand the difference of competition. And yeah I don't want to argue I just can't stand watching gsp take no chances. Askren has had me saying wow quite a few times, maybe cuz I'm a former wrestler Phone Post

I'm right there with you as it pertains to the beauty that is Ben's wrestling. But I also believe that if he ever earned/ was given the chance to fight GSP, his tds would get stuffed, and we'd see an exciting striking clinic put on by Georges.
You did make me think that is love to see Diaz fight Ben Phone Post

I think Ben would go balls to the wall trying to get the takedown and gsp might just run away Phone Post

TTT