Saskatchewan Firearms Amnesty Is A Good Thing

https://globalnews.ca/news/4105864/sask-to-roll-out-province-wide-gun-amnesty-program/

They're starting a turn in your unwanted firearms amnesty program here in Saskatchewan Canada. Some guys at work were all upset about it today and asked me about it because they know I’m a firearms enthusiast. 

I honestly cant find anything wrong with it. If people own firearms and don’t want them or the hassle of selling the guns, this is nice and easy. I can’t understand why the guys were upset by this. 

King Trav - 

https://globalnews.ca/news/4105864/sask-to-roll-out-province-wide-gun-amnesty-program/

They're starting a turn in your unwanted firearms amnesty program here in Saskatchewan Canada. Some guys at work were all upset about it today and asked me about it because they know I’m a firearms enthusiast. 

I honestly cant find anything wrong with it. If people own firearms and don’t want them or the hassle of selling the guns, this is nice and easy. I can’t understand why the guys were upset by this. 

Agreed.

The same program is here for Ontario in April.

There isn't anything wrong with it at all. If people want to disarm themselves voluntarily, there should be no complaint from any side of the debate.

Of course, when Trudeau's stormtroopers show up to force gender reassignment surgery, the joke is on them! 

More police efforts directed at law abiding firearm owners that will do nothing to target criminals or improve public safety in a meaningful way.

effinggoof - More police efforts directed at law abiding firearm owners that will do nothing to target criminals or improve public safety in a meaningful way.

But it IS actually targeted at criminals. Perhaps most criminals won’t willingly turn in their guns. But the point of amnesty is to allow them to turn in a gun, whether it’s legally owned or not - whether it’s been used in a crime or not without getting arrested for possession of it. 

If law abiding citizens want to give them up too, that’s dumb as hell imo. But it’s their choice.

Im a huge 2A supporter and don’t want any forced disarmament but voluntarily giving up your gun is fine with me no matter how stupid I think it is. I just wished it was donated to me instead

You should go offer to buy them from the owners before they turn them in to be destroyed like we do here in the states.

effinggoof - More police efforts directed at law abiding firearm owners that will do nothing to target criminals or improve public safety in a meaningful way.

I disagree. 

It has nothing to do with legal Canadian firearms owners. If you’ve got a PAL or RPAL, chances are you aren’t turning in anything unless it’s something like a CZ that went from nonrestricted to prohibited and you don’t want the hassle. 

Good law abiding citizens that took the gun(s) when a family member died and they don’t know what to do with them. 

Even the it won’t keep them out of the hands of criminals part im not in total agreement with. Some punk breaks into a firearm owner’s house, there’s a really good chance they’ll have a vault/safe to deal with. Same scum breaks into Joe who’s had grandpa’s shotgun sitting in the closet for fifteen years’ house and there’s a good chance that firearm is not properly stored and locked away making it easy to steal. 

Again, I’m having a tough time finding flaw in this, other than those people could probably sell the guns instead of giving them away to be destroyed. 

Sogsteel -

You should go offer to buy them from the owners before they turn them in to be destroyed like we do here in the states.

I was was thinking about putting out an ad to buy guns people would otherwise give away, but that feels like a bit of an unnecessary heat score. 

Sogsteel - 

They get destroyed here too.

You would be suprised how many little old ladies will throw their husbands expensive ass prized posession guns in that pile just so a gun isnt in the house. 

They are just trying to get the guns off the reservations.

"Even the it won’t keep them out of the hands of criminals part im not in total agreement with. Some punk breaks into a firearm owner’s house, there’s a really good chance they’ll have a vault/safe to deal with. Same scum breaks into Joe who’s had grandpa’s shotgun sitting in the closet for fifteen years’ house and there’s a good chance that firearm is not properly stored and locked away making it easy to steal."

this here is the correctest thing on this thread

Sogsteel -

Lol I have heard of people doing that too! Great idea!

Sogsteel - 

You would be suprised how many little old ladies will throw their husbands expensive ass prized posession guns in that pile just so a gun isnt in the house. 

THis.

I've heard horror stories about guys going back home after the death of their father only to find out that mom "got rid of" the gun collection.

ABCTT_Ninpo Silva -

But it IS actually targeted at criminals. Perhaps most criminals won’t willingly turn in their guns. But the point of amnesty is to allow them to turn in a gun, whether it’s legally owned or not - whether it’s been used in a crime or not without getting arrested for possession of it. 

If law abiding citizens want to give them up too, that’s dumb as hell imo. But it’s their choice.

Im a huge 2A supporter and don’t want any forced disarmament but voluntarily giving up your gun is fine with me no matter how stupid I think it is. I just wished it was donated to me instead

So you murdered someone with a gun and you can turn it in no harm no foul?   

sewich - 
ABCTT_Ninpo Silva -

So you murdered someone with a gun and you can turn it in no harm no foul?   

It's a good question.

As far as I know they are not testing these guns for anything, just taking them and destroying them.

billyball2 - 
Sogsteel - 

THis.

I've heard horror stories about guys going back home after the death of their father only to find out that mom "got rid of" the gun collection.

I'm actually heading home next week to ensure that doesn't happen.

Starts today! 

So what percentage of these turned in firearms do you think will come from criminals?

Probably close to 100%. I mean there might be some guys who have PALs who turn in guns for some reason or another, but for the most part it will be unlicensed citizens turning in firearms. 

If if you don’t have a PAL and own a firearm you’re a criminal in Canada. 

PALs are easy to get too. RPALs too. 

Firearm ownership in Canada is a privilege and not a right. People need to deal with that fact.