Satoshi Ishii US Senior Nationals 2011

A friend of mine found this. I figured I'd share it with the MMA.tv judo forum. What do you all think of this? He makes it look too easy. Sorry I don't have a blue name at the moment or I would (attempt to) embed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFiEBZRd1pE&feature=player_embedded#at=112

The guy is the 2008 Olympic Champion. What do I think? I think that the reigning Olympic Champion in any sport could show up and walk through nearly any division in just about any country.

yes, the open weight in the USA is very weak, but it wouldnt matter even if we were far better. the guy is just insane. it would take somebody who is among the very best in the world to beat him.

Yeah, that 2nd guy looked like a deer in headlights.

I was there and watched all his matches first hand. Besides Kyle anyone that would go out there give them credit. Kyle our #1 100K player did his best but got thrown for ippon also. He is the quickest "big man" I have ever seen. He is only about 5'9". Around 220 lbs. I stood next to him when he came for the weigh in.

I too was there. That choke he used on the second guy was slick. I am just very surprised how easy the american gave up.

I AM NO ONE TO TALK....

but those guys (beside Kyle) just looked like they had no fight in them, while Satoshi just looked like a warrior, ready to destroy.

And guys used to lay down and turnover(into pins) against Karelin, too. It's hard to keep your nerve when the disparity in skill and celebrity is that large and you know the world is watching him, and by association, you. Regardless, they get my respect because just stepping on the mat with someone like Ishii takes balls.

nice illegal Gi. LOL

wow

A wolf with sheep. It does seem kind of awkward him becoming a US citizen and fighting against the Japanese potentially. And what about our guys who have been representing us? What do we say to them?

totally confused, can you switch once you 've already competed for one country? In soccer you are stuck with the country you first copeted with at the senior level....

well, this new re-search tool called google informed me that he plans to compete for the U.S., I am just surprised that the ruling body in judo allows for this. Not mad, just surprised. Gold for the USA in 2016!?!

it is VERY difficult to gain US Citizenship. I have serious doubts about it happening by 2012 and even 2016.

His major skills are those of a fighter and athlete. Not exactly something the US Government says "oh, we need more of these!" even if the guy is Olympic Champion.

The whole think just seems kind of messy. It would be interesting to know why his return to judo and his personal reasons for not returning to Japan. If they don't want him I can understand. Does anyone know if he will be competeing at the (Miami) World Cup in July? I would expect him to.

ttt

The IJF would most likely not allow him to represnt the USA for a minimum of 2 years if he competes as an unaffiliated.

he has to be careful about what he does if he is serious about competing for the USA. if he fights in any national level event that earns qualification points towards the olympics that's that...

though i think there is a way for him to fight for the IJF itself as a neutral entity. there are a few people worldwide doing that. but the reasons behind that are most likley far more serious that anything ishii is dealing with.

JoshuaResnick - it is VERY difficult to gain US Citizenship. I have serious doubts about it happening by 2012 and even 2016.

His major skills are those of a fighter and athlete. Not exactly something the US Government says "oh, we need more of these!" even if the guy is Olympic Champion.

Many countries have an accelerated process for elite athletes and the US is no different as far as i know -

I believe that there is an allowance made for visas and for green cards for those of "Extraordinary" or "Exceptional" ability in various fields including athletics, for example if you look at the extraoridnary ability pre-requisites for an O-1 visa then Olympic Gold would meet that.

Hey, the US Congress passed a law that gave Tanith Belbin US citizenship ahead of schedule so she could compete in ICE DANCING of all things.

Jsho... i am well aware of the criteria. but i am telling you that they dont even give a rat's booty about the world and olympic champion cubans who have defected and left a communist dictatorship. serioulsy, when they see why Ishii is asking to become a US citizen they will rightfully have serious issues with it.

his only reason for wanting to be a us citizen is to fight in the olympics again. japan won't let him because he pissed people off and insulted just about everybody over there. he has no good clause by which to suggest that he is more deserving of expedited service than somebody else.

he will most ceretainly not be a US citizen in time to qualify for 2012-- as that is almost done now-- and i am remainign doubful about 2016.