Saul "Canelo" Alvarez Will Be the New Delahoya

Search my threads and see that I've said this before any of you knew who this red-headed stepchild was. He's here now. If you don't know who he is, ask someone. Phone Post

Should be interesting to see where his career goes. Will probably fight the winner of Cotto v. Margarito.

Hes decent but hes no Delahoya..

Say what you like about Oscar but he fought everyone & never faced a fighter with a losing record.

Alvarez has fought 39 bums & Ryan Rhodes.

He might be successful at MW but he`d get smashed at SMW.

ramit upper -  Hes decent but hes no Delahoya..

Say what you like about Oscar but he fought everyone & never faced a fighter with a losing record.

He might be successful at MW but he`d get smashed at SMW.

he is 21

irishrottie - 
ramit upper -  Hes decent but hes no Delahoya..

He might be successful at MW but hed get smashed at SMW.</blockquote><br />
<br />
he is 21</blockquote>I realise that but my point is there simply won
t be enough big fights in the LMW & MW divisions for him to get anywhere close to Oscars legacy. 

axxesmerdas -  39 bums? Ask Carwin if he fought any bums Phone Post

Ok I was being a bit harsh calling them bums. I take that back but I think you get the point.

Deuce77 - It's still too early to tell. Cintron was a decent test but not a truly difficult one, especially with the fight being in D.F. If he fights Chavez, Jr wins that fight, although I doubt at this point either side wants to pit them against each other.

This. I don't want to see them fight each other just yet. Let Canelo get more experience because as of right now Chavez Jr wins. Phone Post

Man, this sort of bullshit hype is disgusting, and it's what wrong with the sport. This kid is already a media star in Mexico based purely on his looks, and the powers-that-be in boxing want to make the same push North of the border. Save the praise until he starts beating legit opponents. I don't give a fuck about his age. If they want him to be a prospect, then they shouldn't have arranged for him to win a "world title." If the networks and GBP are going to pretend that he's a legit champion and have him calling out Mayweather, then he needs to step up and start fighting some live bodies.

He's fun to watch, has charisma and hits hard but man that kid is slow and his defense is pretty bad. He's been carefully managed, which is good for his career but there's a reason they've been so selective with their opponent selection.

chadk - He's fun to watch, has charisma and hits hard but man that kid is slow and his defense is pretty bad. He's been carefully managed, which is good for his career but there's a reason they've been so selective with their opponent selection.

correct.

He's a good fighter but seemed to be tiring out halfway through the 4th last night.

would love to see them put him in with a Kirkland or a Lara next but I doubt it happens.

He likes to dress in women's clothing?

In terms of popularity I think he will be up in the running.

Talent wise Amir Khan looks to be the next "-edited to remove curse-", he is very talented. HUGE in the UK and Europe in popularity... In the US he is pretty popular, not mainstream popular but he is starting to break into the mainstream, largely in part because of the Manny Pacquiao situation.

Talent wise Gary Russell Jr looks to be the future as well, as long as he has a good chin, he is good to go.

So many talented fighters are coming up its going be wild in the next 2-4 years 

He looked good against cintron, but cintron doesn't have any power at 154. I think Chavez jr walks right through him at this stage Phone Post

You guys will see. Phone Post

I like him for action fights, but he gets hit way too much. His defense is borderline terrible. A slick, speed fighter would give him big problems. He needs to stay away from SMW where there are serious bombers that will blast him through his guard.

I'd bet Canelo over Chavez Jr at this point in a wild slugfest. If Macklin is brought to the US or Mexico to fight either one of these guys, he's going to spank them.

He ain't DLH, no matter whether he cross-dresses or not.

He had a dead man in front of him for about 3 mins before he got rid of him - in the early stages of the fight too. A guy like Cintron would have gotten blitzed by a prime DLH.

Alvarez was getting in some nice body shots, including some really nice little baby hooks but, aside from that, he was plodding, slow and predictable.

The Next De la Hoya label is a curse. Pavlik and Lee were motoring along until they got stuck with that label

Bobby Lupo - The Next De la Hoya label is a curse. Pavlik and Lee were motoring along until they got stuck with that label

I take away what I said about Khan being the next De La Hoya...

Bobby Lupo - The Next De la Hoya label is a curse. Pavlik and Lee were motoring along until they got stuck with that label

I don't think that it's a curse. The reason that fighters with that label don't live up to expectations is that it's tossed around too liberally. In addition to the guys you mentioned, Francisco Bojado, Victor Ortiz, Jesus Gonzalez and Erick DeLeon (who's still an amateur) have all been called the "the next De La Hoya." Those are just the guys that I could think of off the top of my head. Boxing promoters and the networks are desperate for a photogenic fighter with legit skills whom they can shove down the throats of casual fans.

Slipperypescado - 

I take away what I said about Khan being the next De La Hoya...

I think Amir is going to beat Manny Pac. He's going to be a global superstar.