saulo or moraes ?

for all the long time jiujitsu players, which set is close to being like the Rodrigo Medeiros (carlson black belt) set.
i was rewatching this set today and it is awsome
thanks

i personally have no idea which set is closer because i have never seen the medeiros set. however if i were to choose a set, i would definately go with saulo. i have watched many (at least 15) of Moraes's matches and he never once finished anyone by submission. when i went to the world championships this year, i saw most if not all of his matches, and the win always came down to points or a single advantage. and its not like the war that jacare and xande had where the match was decided by an advantage, i am talking about not doing anything until the last minute of the match, forcing the guy into halfguard, securing the advantage and winning. i am not saying the guy is not an awesome technician, but comparing him to saulo is just ridiculous.

The KKM is strong on this thread.

Why in the world would you base the value of a set of tapes on the manner in which each instructor wins a competition?

Does it influence how well they convey principles and technique on video?

Does it influence the appropriateness of the moves they teach for your particular training situation?

Throws hands up in the air

This is why I don't read these f'ing threads.

good question KKM, here's why. if i want to learn how to finish a resisting opponent (which should be the goal of any jiu jitsu practicioner)i want to learn it from the guy who can do it when it matters, in competition. i mean moreas is damn good at takedowns and passing the guard, but for anything else (especially submissions) saulo is the man.

I have to disagree with you just a bit, kissmyabjj. Saulo is pretty
fucking good at takedowns and guard passing, too. But I agree with
you, that everything else he does is pretty good. Just messing with you
dude.

twinkletoesCT- I think you're being a little silly. Maybe the person
buying the videos is a competitor? Then, wouldn't it make a lot of
sense for them to try and buy tapes with the most up-to-date
techniques, from teachers who are competitors themselves, or who
have produced successful comptetitors?

While I'll certainly agree that an instructor's ability to convey techniqes
matters, the techniques themselves matter as well. I can't speak for
Moraes at all, but Saulo is a fricking good instructor. Back when I was a
poor college student in Ohio, I went out of my way to take privates with
Saulo, because his ability to spot holes in your game and then fix
them, fast, was unbelievable. And if you want up to date techniques,
Saulo is a good choice for that, too.

So, let's say you have two instructors with tape sets, both of whom are
very good teachers. How would you make the decision on which set to
buy, then? If you are a bjj competitor, then the competitive success of
an instructor 'might' matter to you, because it 'might' mean that you
are getting the latest competition tested techniques.

Greg

As far as I know Matt Thornton is not an active competitor but puts out the best instructionals on the market. Go figure:-)

I can honestly tell you that Saulo only teaches what he uses. If it doesn’t work in high-level competition, he won't teach it.

Dave