Saulo rReviews

rnaviaux, let me try to explain better.

The side control volume shows how Saulo controls from the side. That may sound redundant, but a lot of tapes/seminars/whatever don't actually show the control, they only show various techniques, sometimes without even setups or how to flow in the face of resistance. This shows a lot of examples without the underlying methodology. So, if you're a visual learner with a lot of experience, you may be able to pick it up and work it out on your own, but many others might just give up when they can't make the techniques work.

I think Saulo may go a little too far the other way. He explains a lot about the control, but then doesn't give many technical examples stemming from that control. Lots of methodology, few examples. What if the paper cutter choke is not a technique, for whatever reason, that suits you? Or chokes in general? A few chokes, a few armbars, a few transitions gives a more robust set of examples for people who need to see the methodology more thoroughly to understand it.

That's the type of balance I was referring to.

Andre,

Understood, and I also find tons of techniques hard to remember. Which is why I felt if he'd shown a few more per volume, there would have been a greater chance of overlapping with the few I do remember! ;)

I was quite disappointed with the Cross-Body DVD. Not really anything new and as rene.r said, not enough submissions or set-ups from side-control.

I did like the other DVD's in the set though.

Watched guard passing. It seemed to have way more content than the side-control. He shows stand-up leg breaking, his version of the run-around pass, leg-on-shoulder, and maybe one other. Then how to break seated and pass, and shows passes for a few different kinds of guards (e.g. butterfly).

It wasn't as core-focused as his earlier efforts (the side and mount seemed to use the same method for different situations whereas this one shows different methods for different situation), however. What I'd love to see is that same core-focus applied to different resistances. That would be best of both worlds.

I see the point of both rene.r and andreh, and I have to admit that I'm loving these DVDs. I tend to agree more with Andreh, I want a deeper understanding of the positions and transitions rather than 6 new submissions from the mount, when I can't control the guy well enough to pull it off.

I also think it would have been better if he'd just mentioned that there was some misunderstanding(which he did) about different positions/concepts and didn't keep saying that others are doing it wrong, etc.

I've been doing bjj for about 5 years now, and these dvd's have had the largest effect on my game of any I've seen before.

I highly recommend them!

Good job Saulo, make some more! I'll definately buy them!

Steve

rener - That makes sense to me.

rna

steve grantham,

I agree with that, what I'm referring to more is his extension of that control to the paper cutter (which is by no means a new submission for most people) may be enough for some people to figure out how to extend it to other chokes, armbars, whatever as well. (Well, if the blocking of the hip transitions from his hip to his forearm or shoulder, maybe I could transition it to my shin as well; and if the guy doesn't need the telegraph of grabbing his on his collar for the choke, maybe for the armbar...)

Different people might actually need to see a few more examples of keeping control during setups, and finishes. (Damn, the control is nice, but they defend the choke and when I try to go/fake something else, I lose it...)

rener.r

Excellent review!!!!!!!

I was very impressed by your opening statement in the very first post. What you said is so very true. It is things like that which, IMHO, provide people with a sense of context which encourages people to view things properly and with the right understanding.

What you're essentially saying is ones "experience" counts for something. It account for how one presents, imparts and teaches the knowledge and information they have. It also accounts for how one receives and relates knowledge and information.

Thanks m.g,

I'm a firm believer in that style.

ttt

I really enjoyed the cross-side instructional. I posted a question a few weeks ago on how to control a squirmy opponent and Saulo's instruction gave me the final details to solve my problems.

Great review Rene. Are you competing at the GTA's in January? We can bust out our Saulo moves :)

Thanks GeeRoxx. I'm not sure yet. There seem to be several Toronto tournaments to look forward to next year, so combined with the MTL ones, it's just a matter of time/money scheduling.

Tried out more of the cross-side concepts. After focusing exclusively on the hip-to-hip concept Saulo shows, a comment from 2 different training partners was that I felt heavier (I'm 135lbs soaking wet!) and everything was tighter even though I wasn't using my hands to control them.

One question for Andre or Rene, can you guys explain how to keep the concept of hip-to-hip while transitioning from say his right side, going to N-S and then going to his left side?

Rener - no offense bro, but you list that you are a beginner in bjj. Do you really have the right perspective to be giving reviews?

FatBuddha, I have the right perspective to be giving reviews for other beginners, who probably comprise a large segment of the market. For example, if I buy something and it is too advanced for me, I will post that, and perhaps other beginners will benefit.

And this being a message board with many threads, people who want to dismiss my reviews can easily avoid them :)

GeeRoxx,

The only thing that comes to mind is similar to what Sperry shows on Vale Tudo, which is grinding between the pins. For example, your hip heavy on his hip for modified scarf, then keeping that same hip heaviness on his upper body (anywhere from ribs to shoulder as you transition) for reverse scarf, then his face for n/s, then back the other way.

Perhaps Andre or Andrew or one of the other experienced mods could help more.

excellent review as always

"One question for Andre or Rene, can you guys explain how to keep the concept of hip-to-hip while transitioning from say his right side, going to N-S and then going to his left side?"

I agree with Rene about the constant pressure as you transition to n/s, you just have to make sure your legs are wide enough to provide you with a base as you change positions (so you dont get rolled in the process). Also be sure to block his hip with your hand as you lose that hip to hip contact to prevent him from escaping.

Thanks guys

"Also be sure to block his hip with your hand as you lose that hip to hip contact to prevent him from escaping"

That is what I was missing :)

For me this is a very good set