Saw warriorship

"A timid person is frightened before the danger, a coward is frightened during the time, and a courageous person afterward" - Jean Paul Richter

What if you are all three Coach?

I've been there more times than I care to recall.

Real Student: The problem is your instinct to look ay it literally [as you pointed out you had]. An aphorism is a message, a methaphor, a thought-provoking idea, it is not to be confused with a truth.

Mule:That you have really fought demonstrates that you are no coward. Again, one can have fear in anticipation, during the action and afterwards, but so long as 'an' appropriate action was taken, there is no shame.

TB

I was walking home from school the other day (I go to uni) and there's a high school about a block away (damn high school kids always running around campus). Anyway, It was around 3:30 and they were getting out. I see one of them cornering this other kid who is giving off victim signals all over (I was half a block away and could see the psychological predator/victim signals clearly). I decided right there that should a single strike come from the bully- I'd stop him- not hurt him, just stop him. This 3rd kid walks up to the two, puts his umbrella on the bully's arms (which were grabbing the victim's shirt collar) said something calmly but firmly in his ear. The bully turned to him looking very angry and the 3rd kid just looked right through him. The bully walked away. This kid, probably without knowing it, just displayed the essence of the martial arts- and made me feel great for the rest of the day- knowing some real guys are out there, still doing little things that matter.

MS

:-)

Great story.

I read a couple of things recently that came to mind after reading this:

"To know what is right and to not do it is the worst cowardice" - Confucious

"A timid person is frightened before the danger, a coward is frightened during the time, and a courageous person afterward" - Jean Paul Richter

T

The quotation from Richter bothers me.

It has taken years for me to get into my head and into my guts that the feelings I associated with fear brought on by the biochemical cocktail of adrenal overdrive did not mean that I had to be a coward simply because I was experiencing them, whether before, during, or after the crisis.

With all respect, it seems to me that the literal meaning of the quotation goes against TCMS precepts, which in my incomplete understanding embrace the fear as useful so long as it does not paralyze. If Tony is asking us to expand on the definition of "frightened" for this quotation to "frightened and unable to act" then I can see its usefulness to our mindset.

But note what other lessons we can learn from the original example - the rescuer guardian clearly was prepared to act but did not go beyond what his inner directive told him was necessary to end the immediate danger. Bravo.

RealStudent