Say I die

...and God's there, and he gives me a chance to repent, what possible reson would I have for not doing so?

If we all get a chance, what is the benefit in believing in this life?

Who said you're going to get a chance after you die?

I thought we all got a chance to repent?

If not then I guess the question answers itself: reward

After you die? I don't think so...your change is up when you die. Otherwise, you're original question would be a very good one:

"what possible reson would I have for not doing so?"

Why is it so important to believe in god before meeting him that we get punished if we don't? What's so wrong with being convinced when we first set eyes on him?

At the core, you're question really is "Why is it important to have faith?"

That's a big big topic too...would you be satisfied with Biblical reasons?

I'd like if you can give normal reasons too because I'm not sure I have faith in the bible.

Well, for starters...without faith, it's impossible to know God, to love God or to serve God. And that's the purpose for our lives.

DANG!!!

don't get my hopes up

:)

lol

Chance, the purpose for believing now, even if you get a chance afterwards is that you get to be part of God's kingdom here and now. You get to experience the joy of knowing God, the thrill of being part of His plan, the knowledge that you are living within the purposes of God, and the fulfilment of a life spent glorifying God. The end may be our goal, but it is not our sole motivation. I have the confidence in my future place in heaven, whether or not I live the way I do. I can take the easy road of comfort and security, but I follow Jesus like I do because it is the moment by moment thrill of walking within the power of the Spirit, and in the truth of Jesus that makes life worth living.

rev

That's what I don't get Rev.  I don't see a separation between salvation and the kingdom.  

Chance,

The question is what would it be like to meet Christ in his glory if you were in a sickened state of sin.  In R. Catholicism there are not second chances after death and I think most Christians believe this is true.  But some believe the chance to repent is always there except at a certain point a person simply won't be capable of repenting.  A good book for describing this dynamic is CS Lewis's A Great Divorce.  People in hell are given a bus ride to the edge of heaven and most of them don't repent because it is so unpleasant to do so.  But Lewis is clear to point out it is all speculation and nobody should hold off a today decision for some future possible chance.  Personally I think it will never be easier to repent than today.

"The Great Divorce", btw (not that it makes a difference in terms of looking it up).

Part of the reason the hellbound folks don't repent is because they still don't RECOGNIZE that they're in hell. Not because it's so difficult in terms of an ordeal.... it's difficult in terms of their mental habits.

It's not a bad read.

Well ridge, the kingdom is said to be the narrow way and few that follow it. If you count all of the catholics and orthodox that have ever lived, you would not have few, not even close, and if you count the couple of protestants that might qualify anyways, again you have far more than a few. And you would agree that living in the kingdom here on earth, means living the sermon on the mount wouldn't you? So how many orthodox people do you know that do that? Maybe a few monks, and a few exceptional people. So does that mean everyone else is going to hell (as you define hell)

rev

Rev, I'm not sure I want that..especialy if I can't be sure whether it is true or not.

If I die and meet a god who is going to punish me though, I'll repent.

"without faith it's impossible to please Him"

Why would you need faith for a God your looking at after your die?

How do I make myself believe something which doesn't seem convincing?

You don't believe you are a sinner?

I think I could do better

And do you really want to? (Edit -- i.e., really want to take on something that seems 'unbelievable')

Out of fear, I might want to... "What if what those nuns turned out to be correct??!??"

I've managed to "take on" beliefs while exploring one spiritual path or another, but always had some meta-view of it all as metaphor, and not "reality". I suppose that's a lack of faith. Can't seem to really do it any more!