Sayoc Fighting Systems Seminar

Hello Everyone,

Over the last few years as Sayoc Kali has gained a lot of publicity, many people have asked about the Sayoc Fighting System and the use of the stick. At this year’s Sama Sama event, SFS reintroduced stick fighting as a part of the curriculum. Tuhon Felix Cortes, is one of the earliest students of Tuhon Christopher Sayoc, and is teaching the SFS stick fighting around the USA. He is now holding the first open seminar on this material at his school in District Heights Maryland on July 31st!!!

SEMINAR INFORMATION:
DATE: SATURDAY, JULY 31, 2004
TIME: 12-4PM
COST: $75.00 (NO CHECKS)
CONTACT INFO: 5572-A SILVER HILL ROAD, DISTRICT HEIGHTS, MD. 20747
ENTRANCE THROUGH THE BACK OF THE BUILDING.

EMAIL ACCESS: TUHONFC@AOL.COM
EQUIPMENT: PAIR OF RATTAN STICKS
TOPIC: SAYOC FIGHTING SYSTEM, TEMPLATE 1 & 2,
APPLICATION DRILLS
APPLICATIONS

You will definitely come away with practical fighting material, and drills to enhance your fight game!!

Gumagalang

Guro Steve L.!!

I've seen Tuhon Felix in action first hand.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Steve,

Quick question. How does Sayoc Kali differ from Pekiti Tersia methods?

Cheers,
Aran

Hello Aran,

Here is a quick overview for you. I would recommend training with both systems to see which one youfeel most comfortable with.

Pekiti Tirsia Kali - Head Instructor - Grand Tuhon Leo Gaje, I started practicing PTK in the early/mid 80's by learning the Abecdario, from an article in a New York magazine that someone had given me. I had read the various articles about Master Gaje, and wanted to travel to New York to train but I was in school and then college and he eventually moved to Texas and then left for the Philippines. When I eventually got a hold of Tuhon Gaje in 1998/99, I orignally was just looking to enhance my 64 attacks(which I eventually learned thru various PTK students) One of the first things he told me was to stop practicing the 64 attacks as it was old technology! Tuhon Gaje has definitely improved on the old method of teaching from the 70's - 80's. Instead he now offers various various training methodologies from the Pamuno Tirsia(basic strikes), Palipas Tirsia(deflection movement), triplicado offensiva, Tri V forumula, Contra Tirsia Dobla Dos etc, he continues to work off the Contrada - recontrada methodologies from the earlier days but also includes more drills on the aspect of the short blade as well. I am not familiar with alot of his newer technologies that he is currently teaching. Still another person to Definitely train with.

Sayoc Kali - Headed by Tuhon Christopher Sayoc, website www.Sayoc.com.

The Sayoc System of Edged Weapons Dynamics is taught in three parts. Sayoc Kali, Sayoc Silak, and Sayoc Bakal. The Sayoc Kali system emphasizes the correct and effective usage of the blade. During training a student will learn how to use a single blade, with progression to the use of multiple blades, in conjunction with empty-hands training. Sayoc Kali contains the basic teaching formula, and is primarily concerned with the development of the "Feeder". Feeder based mentality is best described by answering this oft-asked question: "How would you defend against a guy with a knife?" Feeder Based mentality : "I have the Knife" The Sayoc Silak system is the counter offensive training and contains the second learning formula. This training revolves around the "Receiver", and is started with the empty hands. The Sayoc Bakal system is the third aspect taught. It is comprised around the use of projectiles in combat. It works as a complete system and complements and enhances both Sayoc Kali and Sayoc Silak.. Included in these 3 categories of training are: proper handling or blade edge discipline, blade deployment, vital target discrimination, defense against and the practice of disarms, projectiles and finger-touch methodology used in conjunction with knife work, critical injury management, teaching methodologies, non linear templates, 2 dominant weapon usage, environmental tactics, power assisted movements, and a system for multiple man situations.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Gumagalang
Guro Steve L.

www.Bujinkandojo.net

Steven thanks for taking the time to write a thorough answer.

Its not that Im looking for an art for me, its actually because someone wanted me to do a story about the filipinos arts being incorporated into certain western military groups' training programmes. I am aware that various South East Asian arts keep cropping up in Hollywood media circles, but just wanted to get an idea of what the differences were in the styles. Helps me to get an idea of the reliability of certain leads.!!

Thanks for you time Steven and have a good seminar.

Aran

www.globalkick.com