Sayoc Kali

Guro Steve,thank you for the answers. LOL @ "smoking". always wondered and my friend/training partner did not know.i wrote:my friend showed me the 3 of 9 once. at first he was like: do this, do this, do this (i was the feeder, he was the feeder). that should've read i was the feeder and my friend was the receiver.yes! that smoking knife was from the front and it had the kengit move.after doing the 3 of 9 and understanding "feeder" and "receiver", most FMA styles always seemed to have the empty handed guy (traditional definition of "receiver" and not Sayoc definition) "winning" against the guy with the knife, the feeder in the traditional definition.when we did the 3 of 9, the feeder (Sayoc definition) got the first attack in on the receiver (Sayoc def.) and then we would do the same attack again, but the receiver would block the attack and the feeder flows to the next target in the template. it was very evident that the feeder in the Sayoc style would be the "winner".2 more q's: 1) the 3 0f 9 template, the 3rd target/strike was called "blue worm". what is the meaning of this? 2) it was either #6 or #7 of the 3 of 9 and my friend called one of them "false reading". it worked the first time when i did not know about it. since he did it and explained it, it did not seem to "work" anymore. it's something about tactile sensitivity. if you can, please explain.TIA.others who have not visited the www.sayoc.com / sayoc site or know the 3 of 9 vital template, you should check it out. it's on there.

Hello Stickgrappler,

Blueworm is a low cut across the beltline. A particular organ tends to start to spillout, and when it hits the air it turns blueish.

The false read, is a one time deal. Once you know it is happening you tend to just allow the hand to pass by. But, that same false read can just be a finger grab as well!! Just another layer to add to the drill.

Train Hard it is the Way!

Guro Steve L.

www.Sayoc.com

www.Bujinkandojo.net

Hello Everyone,

I received a question offline regarding the use of projectiles in blade fighting. Of course the main point of this persons email was how bad it was to throw your blade, so here is some information regarding projectile use.

"If you have never thrown a blade, this will not enter into your bladefighting tactics."
(Tuhon Sayoc at a recent seminar event)

Projectile use, does not mean only throwing your knife. A projectile could be a pen, pencil, coin etc. It can be used as distraction, method of injuring your opponent, or to get a response from our opponent. In Sayoc Kali, we practice the use of multiple blades, so most likely I may be carrying more than one item that can be used for launching at my opponent.

A few methods of launching projectiles
1) Straight throw: Overhand with or without rotations depending on range.
2) Underhand throw:with or without rotations depending on range.
3)Backhand: with or without rotations depending on range.
4) Close quarters release into opponent. Ex. an opponent attempts to grab your weapon containing hand and you let the blade go into the opponent.
5) Reverse grip throws
6)Sidearm throw
7)of course all this has to be repeated on the non dominent side.(Left or right)

Here is a quick drill to practice: Start at 1/2 rotation or 1 full rotation range and launch a projectile to the target as it is traveling move forward and launch the next one, move forward again and launch the third, until you are right on top of your target. Please watch out for rebounding blades!!

Another drill:
Purchase some cheap folders load them up around your normal carry positions, draw them, open them and of course launch them to the target.

Gumagalang

Guro Steve L.

www.Sayoc.com

www.Bujinkandojo.net

Hi Steve,

I don't know if this can be applicable to what you do.

I usually have 5 to 8 techniques that I can rely on no matter what the situation.

Does Sayoc Kali have "bread and butter" techniques that are your favourite?

Thanks

Raymond

Hello Raymond!

Yes, I have relied upon a several of the "non linear" patterns in Sayoc Kali. These are a series of "wave" like or "S" like patterns that are very difficult to counter. Often I'll set them up with a feed, where the opponent thinks I am coming in at a particular angle, then wham, they get hit by me slightly missing them and striking them in an alternate target.

Great Question!!

Guro Steve L.

Steve! A question for you?
You mentioned earlier in the post that Sayoc used to use Stick and other weapons in their teaching. Is their any particular reason that it is all Knife all the time now?

Just curious

Chris H

Guro Steve,

I think that's the ultimate in fighting..not playing offensive or defensive, but setting up the opponent for an opening. That way, your dictating the fight.

Guess what I'll be learning off you when we meet :-)

Raymond

Hi Guro Steve,

I was told a story about how Master Chris Sayoc did a session with an Elite US force.

He asked the members to attack him with a real knife and he disarmed them........very impressive!!!

Do you know what technique he would have used???

Raymond

ahh Ray thought u got that crazy idea from somewhere

Hello Raymond,

I have been neglecting to check the forum! I don't know the answer to your question Raymond, I'll as Tuhon and see what he says. Although I wouldn't doubt it! I have seen Tuhon Sayoc do some pretty amazing things.

Sayoc Kali does not look for a disarm, but since so many FMA's do teach them, and they can happen there is a drill which we use called the 7 count passing drill, where you are attacked(seven times) and move through several(alright seven) disarms positions (bargaining positions). The blade is not ejected but controlled. This allows us the opportunity to use the opponent's blade back on them if the attack with their free hand or leg. It's almost in a baiting manner, I have your weapon controlled, you try and use whatever is open, and wham you get the bad end of your own weapon.

I hope this helps.

Gumagalang
Guro Steve

www.Sayoc.com
www.Bujinkandojo.net

Steven

I trained very briefly with someone who had some Sayoc Kali experience and was blown away.

Do you know of any training clubs etc. in the Atlanta area?

thanks for answering questions here-ryan

Hello Ryan,

There is an Atlanta training group, headed up by Guro Jeff Chung.
I believe the contact person is Adrian Mezenberg, amezenburg@yahoo.com. Let me know if you have any problems contacting him.

Gumagalang
Guro Steve L.

www.Sayoc.com
www.Bujinkandojo.net

steve -

"Hello Stickgrappler,
Blueworm is a low cut across the beltline. A particular organ tends to start to spillout, and when it hits the air it turns blueish. "

i dont want mean to sound contradictory, espeacially since your a instructor under tuhon chris, but he told me the blueworm is actually a knife fighters inside joke, the blue worm is the intestines. when you cut the belt line (belly) the intestines fall out and look like a big blue worm. the joke is when you cut someone (or something like the intestines) they bleed (you'll cut deep enough to cut the intestines if your cut is deep enough to cause someones guts to spill) - and therefore the ijntestines will be RED (from bleeding) and not blue

Awesome! -thanks so much.

How does anyone know the "worm is blue" is real? Has anyone seen this happen, or is this anecdotal?

Also is it true that Sayoc Kali teaches to carry a certain minimum # of knives?

Hello Everyone,

SReiter, yes you are correct! No offense taken, I am just keeping items in the posts as simple as possible. Actually, from my College courses an intestine tends to be a shade of pink. Although during an autopsy it appears discolored (not one of the nicest things I ever saw)

Marc_Scott - A Sayoc Practitioner has the option to carry a number of weapons. Blades or projectiles. It is left to the individual to decide what they feel most comfortable with. Although during training we do carry several trainers, to familiarize this practice in everyday use.

Train hard, it is the way!

Guro Steve L.

www.Sayoc.com

www.Bujinkandojo.net

Hello Ryan,

There is an upcoming Sayoc Kali seminar in Atlanta, with Guro Jeff Chung, here is the information:

Sayoc Kali Atlanta Seminar June 15th

Date: June 15th, 2003-Sunday
Time: 11am till 5pm
Atlanta, GA 30350
Cost: $75 cash at the door
email: gurojeff@yahoo.com

Contact and let him know I said Hello. Guro Jeff is a great guy, so I hope you can attend.

Gumagalang
Guro Steve L.

AAAAAAAAAAARGH!!! I literally travel once a year tops and I will be travelling that weekend. -Thanks a lot for the heads up. Man, if it weren't for bad luck I'd have none at all.

ryanj - check www.sayoc.com for seminar listings.

You'll probably find a seminar at your locale (or close-by) sometime in the near future.

Hello RyanJ et all,

Please contact Guro Chung, for when he may be in the area again, or who else to contact in the Atlanta area. Also, I would highly recommend to try and attend the yearly Sayoc Gathering, Sama Sama. It will be held in West Hazleton Pa, July 4, 5, 6th. As a special note Grand Master Bo Sayoc, will be flying in from the Philippines to also teach his finger touch method. More details will be posted on the Sayoc Kali website, www.Sayoc.com.

Gumagalang
Guro Steve L

www.Sayoc.com
www.Bujinkandojo.net