SBGI Spring 2006 Series Disc 1

I just ordered it today and I'm wondering if anyone has seen it?

I'm especially interested in anyones thought or opinions regarding the guard surfing material.

I havenĀ“t seen the tape but I have practiced guard surfing for some time now - it is very good for your passing game...

The Guard surfing stuff is really a cool drill if you like to pass the guard standing. But the idea behind it is also adabtable to other positions of BJJ training.

The whole set is really good.

Take care
Bjoern

The guard surfing drill kicks ass!   What a great way to train into your muscle memory different ways to pass the guard.

I got it today and briefly went through the disk, it looks pretty cool from what I've seen so far.

I have some other SBGI DVDs as well, and I definately like their approach to teaching.

Would anyone care to give a description of "guard surfing"? I've seen the term used in all the ads for this series, but I'd like a bit more info before I plunk down some $$$.

It's a drill where certain hip pressures/positions are called out while you are passing someone's open guard.  So SBGi has their safety position and opening the guard strategy and this drill picks up once you open the guard and are stand up from 'combat base'.  Now the coach will call out one of several hip pressures/positions they have names for (of course hahaha).  An example of one of the pressures would be 'hip in'.  So when 'hip-in' is called during any part of the drill you do that pressure.  Several of them combine well and considering that when you pass a better guys guard you usually need to combine different passes, the combinations are key.

I think it's definitely a useful drill and also good practical conditioning tool for classes.

I just watched this DVD yesterday. The Guard Surfing material was very interesting. Definitely see how drilling the different pressures would help the passing game. I can't wait to try it out.

scrappy,

THANK YOU! That makes much more sense. Very illucidating.

Guard surfing is the main guard passing drill we use t my own Gym, it's been at the core of our passing curriculum for several Years.

www.straightblastgym.com

is it covered on any other sets?

For what it's worth, I ordered several DVDs from Straight Blast last year, and they charged my credit card. The DVDs never arrived, so I called and left messages on the number on the website. No answer. I e-mailed repeatedly. I did this over several months. Finally I gave up.

Every time I hear talk about Straight Blast dvds, it reminds me about getting reamed by them. Matt himself strikes me as a straight-up guy, but whoever was handling their "customer service" was awful.

Hope others have not had the same bad experience as myself.

Hey Mighty Cthulu, we have never not sent someone a product. If you never recieved your order but were actually charged then all you have to do is e-mail me. I would have gladly sent you what you ordered, plus extra dvds for the hassle, and/or refunded you. I have recieved no e-mail like this? My e-mail address is posted everywhere, and I consistently let people know they cn contact me directly in our own forum located here on MMA.TV.

Forgive me for being skeptical, but we have competitors attempt to post similar things before. This is easy to fix, please forward me your receipt from the e-store, or scan of the credit card bill, e-mail, etc. . .anything like that, and I will personally make sure you recieve your product and an additional set of free dvds, in addition to a refund on your card. I will also let it be known on this thread that we made an error.

If I don't hear back I will let that be known as well. And then figre out what is going on here.

My e-mail is as always straightblastgym@hotmail.com I am on the East Coast right now, but do have e-mail access. So lets get this sorted.

www.straightblastgym.com

demandango I don't believe it is taught in any of our other sets.

www.straightblastgym.com

Matt: I have forwarded my e-mail thread to you, including the e-mail receipt info. I have always assumed this was a purely bureaucratic problem, as I know SBG has a very fine overall reputation. It could very well be an innocuous shipping problem; maybe it's something I myself unknowingly did wrong -- regardless of the cause, my frustration was that I could not for the life of me get a response back from the contact information posted on the SBG store website.

At any rate, I appreciate your quick response on these boards. Hopefully we can get this ironed out.

Dan,

I recieved your e-mail and just shot you back a reply.

As I mentioned I am currently in Mass teaching a
seminar. I'll be back home Tuesday night, and I will
research this out for you first thing Wed when I can
get into the office. We will have this sorted out
ASAP. I am not sure what happened, but regardless, I
am sorry for any hassle. I was unaware of this. I wil
make sure we get this taken care of for you, and
appreciate your business.

www.straightblastgym.com

Dan,

I recieved your e-mail and just shot you back a reply.

As I mentioned I am currently in Mass teaching a
seminar. I'll be back home Tuesday night, and I will
research this out for you first thing Wed when I can
get into the office. We will have this sorted out
ASAP. I am not sure what happened, but regardless, I
am sorry for any hassle. I was unaware of this. I wil
make sure we get this taken care of for you, and
appreciate your business.

www.straightblastgym.com

As he says, Matt got back to me quickly and everything looks like it's being taken care of. There may have been a problem with the contact information on the website or something --- in any event, my lesson is to go straight to Matt next time!

Matt is one of the good people!

As for the dvd....It is by far one of the best self-teaching drills/games I've ever worked through. It has been a staple at our gym for a couple of years now and every time we play it,everybody discovers new routes/connections/passes. An amazingly simple,game altering drill.
Believe the hype!