scam of the day-opinions?

so we had some front page news locally recently, old scam;

an online "lending" company offered low interest loans to bad credit applicants, they asked on average for $2000-$4000 in advance to "secure" the loan

cash got paid, scammers bounced

the local news took a bleeding heart approach to the victims

my question to the OG;

are you sympathetic to the victims in these scenarios?

Not really

Based just off the information you provided, I'm sympathetic to the victims of the fraud. Just because someone has bad credit, doesn't mean they're allowed to be victimized in a scam.

What's the argument against being sympathetic to them

sicko - Based just off the information you provided, I'm sympathetic to the victims of the fraud. Just because someone has bad credit, doesn't mean they're allowed to be victimized in a scam.

What's the argument against being sympathetic to them

'They had bad credit hence are losers and most likely black'

-the OG

there were black victims mentioned

and perhaps black (Nigerian) offenders

I feels as if I WANT to be sympathetic but part of me feels these guys just enable the crooks

I don't know I'm jaded I guess

Shit like this kinda hits home with me. My grandfather was a medic in the army, WW2 and Korean war. Came home and wife died of cancer. Was a mess from the wars, fucked in the head and drank the memories away. His children raised themselves basically and all 5 dropped out of high school. My father was more fortunate and made out the best later in life as he was the oldest and had the most education. My uncle not so well.

He is a hard working man, loved by everyone he meets, but is an older adult living in a modern world with a grade school education. He falls for shit like this a lot. He lost a couple grand in some online scam where he really thought he won a gift card just for going to a website. Lost some more by some cold call scam I never got all the details to.

I've tried a million times to explain how fucked and unsafe the digital age is, but he just doesn't get it. He has no kids of his own, and his law wife is just as bad. She immigrated from one of the asian islands, and can barely function either. They are seriously just living in the wrong time, and would have been better suited to the old west or something.

Opinions are the lowest form of knowledge.

You don't need any to have one

PatK -

Not really

This

my old man, smartest mofo ever from a traditional iq standpoint, engineer, mathematician, chess grandmaster and world class card player

slow as fuck with these things, almost got taken the other day in the most simplest of cra (our irs....and worse than the irs imo) phone scams

i don't get it, lol