Scenario Training

I am extremely interested in scenario training. I believe that any self-defense program
that ignores the psychological aspects is lacking. With that in mind, what is the best
way to create "realistic" scenarios? I want to recreate the actual fear/adrenaline dump
that would occur in real life. I am curious about empty hand /ground fighting with and
without various weapons.

How do you accomplish this? How does the "attacker" make it real for the good guy?
How does the good guy take the "attacker" seriously, especially since we're all
training partners and know that it is not real?

What advice could you give to someone wanting to begin this sort of training? Just
for the record (in case it matters), I train in JKD Concepts and BJJ. So my base arts
are good, just looking to fill the psychological void.

Thanks in advance,

Bryan Brackeen
Kansas PFS

Bryan,

I'm heading out the door; quickly:

Check out Panic Attack '96 Volume 1 and 2, Ballistic Micro-fight Basics and especially the new 'Be a Good Bad Guy' video. They are packed with exactly what you're looking for!

Until then, quick tip: Never underestimate the importance of DIALOGUE in creating a real adrenaline dump. A scenario should never be a 'silent movie'.

Also, seriously consider investing in High Gear. It was designed precisely for simulation and replication training.

Hope that Helps,

Phil

Scenario help please. I plan to attend the PDR in July and can hardly wait. In the mean time, where do you find inspiration and ideas for your scenarios? I guess I'm lucky as I have not been in many violent situations so I don't have personal experience to draw from. I am always getting stuck trying to think up a scenario. What are some common scenarios you use?

With Safety In Mind,
Rob

I've collected scenarios from self-defense books and tapes, and distilled them into scripts for role-playing. But one of the best sources is just watching other role-plays off Blauer tapes. Get the Panic Attack '96 Tape 2.

Thanks ironmongoose, Panic Attack tape two is one of the few tapes I don't have.

Another idea is to look in the paper at the police reports. I live in a relatively small town. Despite that, there is still an assault listed everyday that can be recreated.

Jeff

Rob,

If you are going to the PDR I will assume that you already own the PDR manual. If you look carefully at Commandment number seven..."Thou Shalt Not Invite Disaster you will see three critical areas Tony has isolated for you to examine. They are:

1. Evaluate your routine.
2. Evaluate your mind.
3. Evaluate your arsenal.

If you read and ponder this information and decide when, where and how you would attack you, then you will have a very personalized template for creating scenarios.

If you combine elements 2 and 3 into your scenario work, you will start to understand the power of simulation and replication.

Your time at the PDR will be extremely enlightening. It was one of the most powerful experiences in my life.

Hope that made sense.

Good Luck,

Mike

All good points and advice, pretty soon my
prescence will be obsolete!!!!! You guys are good.

:-)

As to specifics, at the PDR session the formulae to
creating these scenarios are shared.

There are also tapes specific to the BALLISTIC
MICRO FIGTH process (as Phil pointed out).

And after the PDR session, you'll have the ability &
option to access the PDR forum that actually has a
specific subsection on...you guess it, scenario
training.

TOny

I have lurked here for a while (ops..sorry =)) and I am intrigued by what Tony said that "fights never happen like u want it to be..", true and sounds pretty scary to me.

Anyway, because this thread is about scenario training..just wondering how do you prepare to fight in an all-out street fight when you are not feeling well (ie. sick)? I haven't seen this situation being addressed before.

I just realize it yesterday after a late and heavy dinner. As I walk to the parking lot -feeling full and neauseated (sp?)- I ask myself what if I got attacked right now? No matter where my imagination goes the answer is always the same: "I'll be dead".

Well, never motivate yourslef through a negative,
especially one as prophetic as that!

:-)

While its impossible to replicate every imaginable
probelm, you can create extreme degrees of
overkill in how you approach training...

one principle is to tax yourself (anerobically) prior
to skill set training, i.e. exhaust yourself and then
work on complex motor skills within the scenario
context.

COnsider how most of the time 'we' do this
backwards...we work on skills until were tired and
then stop...now fatigue yourself and work on skill -
this replicates training while you feel shit.

There are many more differnet variations but
there's a start.

Good luck and perhaps check out our PDR
manual for more thoghts on street preparation.

Tony