School bus for tiny house rental?

I'm looking at possibly getting a school bus for another rental.  Do you think they are worth it?   I dont think I can build something that size for 4 grand.  I want to make it nice inside and paint the outside too.  Any of you ever do this?

I think I could get 1000 bucks a month for a minimal investment

People live in school busses?

1 Like
Luke Rockhard -

People live in school busses?

Converted 'schoolies' are big in the hippie van life community. 

![](upload://wipIetMvzcezgSbRw4hnV9vfml0.jpeg)

![](upload://14HNmc6GltT5GPd3EYrHuC7RZUb.jpeg)

![](upload://guPeAQNOsHL32G7oRpgRYtnqJTl.jpeg)

![](upload://tww29I2whjyIi9j2qtapCjfv6O1.jpeg)

![](upload://aIJoCcnyij7Mw1DgNTjtbVZBzhR.jpeg)

Lots of work to insulate the floor and walls and windows but depending on jurisdiction thr costs would be less than a “building permit”.

Tim Duncan -

I'm looking at possibly getting a school bus for another rental.  Do you think they are worth it?   I dont think I can build something that size for 4 grand.  I want to make it nice inside and paint the outside too.  Any of you ever do this?

What's the total cost of the conversion

Why not just buy an already completed RV?

phydeau -

They are expensive, filled with plastics and labor intensive to convert to battery/solar for those going the offgrid route. The bus is a good platform to start from scratch designing an efficient use of space and if insulated well they are like tanks. A decent living space can be achieved for $15k

Wow I had seen the cargo containers being converted but not these..... interesting

Its called a motorhome.

It's called the Partridge Family

1 Like
sicko -
Tim Duncan -

What's the total cost of the conversion

Imhoping to spend 5k on materials and 4k for the bus.  My wife wants to rent it out cheap to her kids though.  You can spend a lot and make it cherry but there is a sweet spot as far as money put in and what you can get in rent.

Looney Ronulan Paultard -
phydeau -

They are expensive, filled with plastics and labor intensive to convert to battery/solar for those going the offgrid route. The bus is a good platform to start from scratch designing an efficient use of space and if insulated well they are like tanks. A decent living space can be achieved for $15k

I will not insulate anything.  Utilities will be tied to house.  After my experiment I might buy a bunch of buses and put them on an ag lot.  Illpark them on a cir level with a bbq yard and fire pit.

Modern Builds on YouTube is doing a bus to tiny house conversion.  He has 2 videos on his channel right now and more coming.

I found an ag lot for 109k for 1.2 acres.  The land has easement trouble so I can’t build a house without spending a fuck ton of money improving the road.  If I just throw buses on there I can just call it a day.  Gonna offer them 80.

Might start growing medical MJ

1 Like