School choice question for parents

Interested in OG opinions.  Would you rather your 5 year old - 

1) Go to first grade in Montana, small town.  Grades k-5 in one school, about 120 students total.  Population is mostly farm kids, children of restaurant and shops owners, tourism industry workers (fair number of ski bums, park rangers, etc).  Parents are all familiar and fairly easy to get along with, a couple meth heads otherwise. School will teach reading, writing and math.

2) Go to kindergarten in Washington DC, very good public school pre k to 5th grade.  About 450 students. School is pretty urban, 2/3-1/3 white/black.  Parents are a mix of political type people, blacks probably getting lotteried in, milfs in yoga pants - all seem annoying as hell.  School has music, language, and all other kinds of fancy academic stuff. 

This thread, on the surface, seems normal.

But i have a feeling it is not good natured.

I’d send the kid to DC and keep the parent writing that scenario back home to linger with the hoopleheads. 

Just *do not* let them visit Comet Ping Pong & Pizza while there. 

Trust me.

If it's a school in DC I have a hard time believing there would be a mix of political types. DC area is pretty liberal/

Co3 -

Interested in OG opinions.  Would you rather your 5 year old - 

1) Go to first grade in Montana, small town.  Grades k-5 in one school, about 120 students total.  Population is mostly farm kids, children of restaurant and shops owners, tourism industry workers (fair number of ski bums, park rangers, etc).  Parents are all familiar and fairly easy to get along with, a couple meth heads otherwise. School will teach reading, writing and math.

2) Go to kindergarten in Washington DC, very good public school pre k to 5th grade.  About 450 students. School is pretty urban, 2/3-1/3 white/black.  Parents are a mix of political type people, blacks probably getting lotteried in, milfs in yoga pants - all seem annoying as hell.  School has music, language, and all other kinds of fancy academic stuff. 

Big fish small pond that might accidently develop a habit of eating the wrong vegetation 

or

Small fish big pond that has a good chance of being eaten by a nasty barracuda that ain't even hungry just doesn't like the way that fish looks. 

2). Way better exposure to the world and more opportunity vs the kid living in an insulated bubble for his entire life.  Personally I'd rather live in #1, but there's no way I would ever want that to have been my only life experience.

Wouldn't send a kid that I didn't even like to DC...Or any other large metro area.

PatK -

If it's a school in DC I have a hard time believing there would be a mix of political types. DC area is pretty liberal/

very liberal since public school

Al Cappucino -

This thread, on the surface, seems normal.

But i have a feeling it is not good natured.

good natured, both legitimate options and neither will mess the kid up

19 -

I would gauge the better place by what the child is doing outside of school hours/summer in each location. 

Summer is Montana either way

DC proper or one of the suburbs like alexandria or arlington?

personally, if it's in the suburbs i'd send my kid to school in DC and have him spend summers in Montana.

Mr. Wright -

personally, if it's in the suburbs i'd send my kid to school in DC and have him spend summers in Montana.

DC proper

Co3 - 
Mr. Wright -

DC proper

damn, tough to say. 

i have two friends that live in the DC suburbs and work at the pentagon but their kids go to school in the burbs as well. i've heard good and bad about the schools in DC proper. 

worst case scenario is you send the kid there for 1-2 years, if you don't like it they end up back in Montana. 

lots of positives to living in DC. if i wasn't already rooted in southern california i'd put DC in the top 3 places i'd like in or around.

The question is where are the parents going to be?  Is this a case staying with one parent?

1, easy.

cruedi -

The question is where are the parents going to be?  Is this a case staying with one parent?

Wife would move from Montana.

I travel 50% of the year, but a lot of the travel is to DC area so days with family would be big net increase. 

Co3 - 
cruedi -

Wife would move from Montana.

I travel 50% of the year, but a lot of the travel is to DC area so days with family would be big net increase. 

it's a no brainer then.

if she can be around both parents and go to school in DC that's the direction you go. period. the end.

she'll get the best of both worlds going to school in DC and spending her summers in montana.

Montana . You said D.C. proper and that sealed it .

Co3 -
Mr. Wright -

DC proper

hard pass on that, trust me

suburbs in virginia, fine, but LOL @ ever sending your kid to a DC public school

FUCK THAT !