School guards

35,000- 40,000 people are killed in car accidents.
When it comes to cars and school safety do we?
A. Ban all cars
B. Restrict the selling of any car that can go over 25 mph.
C. Not allow a car within 1 mile radius of school
D. Create speed limits and traffic guards.

If each parent of Marjory Stoneman Douglas gave 5 dollars a year then the school could have hired 3 armed security professionals. That's 3,000 kids. That's 150,000 dollars. That's 3 armes professionals making 50,000 a year.

I don't remember this type of thing happening when I was in high school. We had guns galore.
What has changed?

"The school had at least one armed deputy on duty."

... What, was he taking a shit?!?!?

There was an armed guard at Columbine too

Never_rolled -
VHStapefan - 35,000- 40,000 people are killed in car accidents.
A. Ban all cars

If each parent of Marjory Stoneman Douglas gave 5 dollars a year then the school could have hired 3 armed security professionals. That's 3,000 kids. That's 150,000 dollars. That's 3 armes professionals making 50,000 a year.

I don't remember this type of thing happening when I was in high school. We had guns galore.
What has changed?

The school had at least one armed deputy on duty. They also had security guards. Did you not know this? It was also reported by the sheriff he never had contact with the shooter.

I haven't heard this.

Was he an off duty cop?
I'm talking about 3 guards who sole purpose is to guard against would be attackers.

Have school shootings increased recently? I really don't pay attention to the news, but growing up it felt like there was a shooting every 3 years.

theBEAToff - "The school had at least one armed deputy on duty."

The problem is very few cops would go in with their one pistol and take on a shooter armed with semiautomatic weapons and (possibly) body armor.   They would call for back up at the very least.  But if they do that the school isn't really in any better shape than they were without the guard.

it might be bottling to the mind but perhaps the shooter saw that there was no armed security gaurd in his general area before he started shooting. mind = blown 

TzTinkle - Have school shootings increased recently? I really don't pay attention to the news, but growing up it felt like there was a shooting every 3 years.
I qraduated in 87

I don't remember any school shootings.

FivePointsVids -

it might be bottling to the mind but perhaps the shooter saw that there was no armed security gaurd in his general area before he started shooting. mind = blown 

Mind blown what ever.

3 guards with clear cut objective. Three entrances.

VHStapefan - 
TzTinkle - Have school shootings increased recently? I really don't pay attention to the news, but growing up it felt like there was a shooting every 3 years.
I qraduated in 87

Columbine happened when I was in middle school so I feel like they've always been around.

Never_rolled -
VHStapefan -
Never_rolled -
A. Ban all cars

What has changed?

The school had at least one armed deputy on duty. They also had security guards. Did you not know this? It was also reported by the sheriff he never had contact with the shooter.

I haven't heard this.

Was he an off duty cop?
I'm talking about 3 guards who sole purpose is to guard against would be attackers.

They are SRO's School Resource Officer. Every school in Broward County has them. They are assigned to that school. That is their job they have no other duties. Some live in trailers on campus. Douglas has a trailer out back you can clearly see from the road. Not sure if Deputy Peterson lives there or not.

The the other poster asking if he was taking a shit. That's the million dollar question. All they have said was that he was on the other side of the school doing something but not clear what that was. I am sure at some point that will come out. I am haiving dinner tonight with a deputy and his wife a soon to be deputy. He works in another city but I will see if he can bring me up to speed.

Why in the world would they need a trailer or little office. They should be patrolling. Watching.

VHStapefan -
Never_rolled -
A. Ban all cars

What has changed?

I haven't heard this.

Was he an off duty cop?

Agree with you. Campus cops are not what we are talking about.  They stick the worst cops there and they get stuck doing stupid shit.  You need sentry for this to be worth doing

Soup and Beer - 

The problem is very few cops would go in with their one pistol and take on a shooter armed with semiautomatic weapons and (possibly) body armor.   They would call for back up at the very least.  But if they do that the school isn't really in any better shape than they were without the guard.

They would absolutely call for back up but I can't imagine a scenario where an officer isn't going inside.

Also, that one officer will most likely have at the very least a shotgun if not some type of rifle.

After the North Hollywood shootout, we put at least one AR-15 in every patrol car.

Soup and Beer -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angeles_Jewish_Community_Center_shooting

In this case a crazed man was going to shoot up a jewish school but saw security and assumed they where armed and found a softer target. Instead of a school he found a jewish community center. Having armed security would probably deter some school shootings. Doesn't mean it'd stop them completely. 

3000 kids x $5 = $15,000

VinegarStrokes - 
Soup and Beer -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angeles_Jewish_Community_Center_shooting

In this case a crazed man was going to shoot up a jewish school but saw security and assumed they where armed and found a softer target. Instead of a school he found a jewish community center. Having armed security would probably deter some school shootings. Doesn't mean it'd stop them completely. 

I agree.  And as I've mentioned before, even if every school gets armed with a full team of SWAT personel, a shooter could just conduct a mass killing at a bus stop.  And that's almost worse because the kids would be trapped in one tight area with nowhere to run.

TzTinkle -
VHStapefan - 
I qraduated in 87

Columbine happened when I was in middle school so I feel like they've always been around.
Here is a list of school shootings through out American history.
http://www.k12academics.com/school-shootings/history-school-shootings-united-states#.Wo8AunTnbqA
Most seem like revenge killings by adults.

Nothing like what started in the late 90's

cosmicdickslinger -

3000 kids x $5 = $15,000

Ouch right. Thanks yep you would need 50 from each set of parents.

We need the Eagle Eye program, stat.