School me on creatine.

Title says it all. I'm interested in doing but hesitant as there are a lot of mixed reviews on this/these products. Currently 6'2" 205lbs max bench 165 looking to hit 200 by end of summer. Also wouldn't mind getting weight down to 190lbs(I know creatine will make this hatder).

General questions:
Which product to use?
Dosage?
Side affects?
Worth it?
Any one here using it?
Water retention?
Weight gain good bad?
Help me out please and thanks in advance to ask brethren. Phone Post 3.0

Just a quick question, how old are you (yes, it does matter). Phone Post 3.0

dude, its just creatine. it isnt magical

it will help you recover. i'd go with protein powder, glutamine, and heavy lifting

I did it for a couple weeks and gained 7 or so pounds of water weight when my starting weight was 130. Did I think 8 grams after my workout 4 days a week. Phone Post 3.0

My two cents (I've used it off and on)

Just use a pure creatine monohydrate

You can load if you want, but you can also just do 5g a day until muscle saturation (it'll just take longer to reach that point)

Drink lots of water with it

It's extremely effective IMO and I think the bloating/water retention/weight gain thing is overblown

I've taken 5g a day for a few months, no side effects, supplementation has seemed to coincide with gradual but noticable strength gains. Creatine won't make it harder to lose weight if we're talking about losing fat.

anything more than 5g a day won't have additional benefits, the need for a "loading phase" is a myth to sell more creatine.

Got Reach - I did it for a couple weeks and gained 7 or so pounds of water weight when my starting weight was 130. Did I think 8 grams after my workout 4 days a week. Phone Post 3.0
8 grams? Holy crap! You're pissing out almost half of it. I would'nt go any more than 5.

Creatine is a wonderful product when you know what you are trying to accomplish with it. Phone Post 3.0

I've been on it for a month.
Gained 4lbs.

In for info Phone Post 3.0

beerbelly -
Got Reach - I did it for a couple weeks and gained 7 or so pounds of water weight when my starting weight was 130. Did I think 8 grams after my workout 4 days a week. Phone Post 3.0
8 grams? Holy crap! You're pissing out almost half of it. I would'nt go any more than 5.

Creatine is a wonderful product when you know what you are trying to accomplish with it. Phone Post 3.0
But for the amount of time that he has given himself, the weight that he wants to lose, and the relatively low amount of strength he hopes to gain, is it even necessary? I would think that running a 5x5 strength program would be a cheaper solution and it will get him the results that he is looking for. Phone Post 3.0

dubate - Just a quick question, how old are you (yes, it does matter). Phone Post 3.0
29 Phone Post 3.0

dizz - My two cents (I've used it off and on)

Just use a pure creatine monohydrate

You can load if you want, but you can also just do 5g a day until muscle saturation (it'll just take longer to reach that point)

Drink lots of water with it

It's extremely effective IMO and I think the bloating/water retention/weight gain thing is overblown
Agree with this. Don't get caught up with the fancy types of creating. With the exception of protein and steroids, Creatine monohydrate is one of the, if not most, tested supplement ever. There has been nearly 20 years to study the side effects and potential positives of Creatine mono. Make sure you buy "creapure" type Creatine mono. It is the purest AND most soluble. Remember to cycle it and I don't ever load. Drink lots of water because it taxes your kidneys. Phone Post 3.0

dubate -
beerbelly -

But for the amount of time that he has given himself, the weight that he wants to lose, and the relatively low amount of strength he hopes to gain, is it even necessary? I would think that running a 5x5 strength program would be a cheaper solution and it will get him the results that he is looking for. Phone Post 3.0

Doesn't creatine basically cost nothing? Phone Post

dubate -
beerbelly -

I agree I think I have plenty of time but where I started I feel like I'm at a plateau that's been really hard to get past. Just looking for a little extra push... Phone Post 3.0

As you obviously already train and have goals I'd say go for it. It may make 10% + diff, the rest is all you.

Creatine monohydrate is the only form of Creatine that has been studied(last time I looked). Stick with this its cheap and proven.

Trying to loose fat at the same time as increasing muscle/strength, may not be possible.

. Phone Post 3.0

Sub Phone Post 3.0

x Eat Schmidt x -
dubate -
beerbelly -

I agree I think I have plenty of time but where I started I feel like I'm at a plateau that's been really hard to get past. Just looking for a little extra push... Phone Post 3.0
I would say 5x5 would be your best bet. It is basically a plateau killer. Yes creatine monohydrate is relatively cheap, however nothing beats free. Phone Post 3.0

Honestly man if it's not illegal it isn't going to help that much. Only supplement I ever recommend is protein if you don't get enough from your diet. I've done loads of supplements and none have ever really done shit for me. Phone Post 3.0

I would recommend taking Creatine HCL over monohydrate, its more acidic meaning you can take less of it and it is more easily absorbed into your blood. Another plus is no bloating. I use CreaCore and get it from bodybuilding.com as it is the cheapest form of Creatine HCL on the market, far more inexpensive than Concret which is the #1 selling brand.

I would highly recommend anyone who is a serious weightlifter/bodybuilder to check out Pre Jym and Post Jym from Jim Stoppani PHD, which you can also get at bodybuilding.com . I have used several pre and post workouts including mixing my own concoctions based off research and the JYM product lineup has been the best by far!

One of the biggest things to watch out for when buying supplements is proprietary blends, when you buy a pre workout for example 85%+ of products will list all the awesome ingredients you need but will be listed under mystery doses! you may see things such as creatine, beta alanine, betaine, amino acids and think wow this thing has everything I need, however what the product is not telling you is the amount of each ingredient listed. They do this by saying its a "proprietary blend" under the guise that its a secret how much they put in the product, but the only secret is that most pre workouts are all stimulant and just give the feeling or "high" that makes you think they are working.

This is why I suggest the JYM supplement line, he has every ingredient inside listed at exact clinical does that have been tested and proven through scientific research to work and I highly recommend anyone reading this to check them out!

TLDR: Creatine HCL> Creatine Monohydrate, JYM supplement line is great for pre and post workout