School owners - please tell me your costs of owner

Cost of running a school. I think we have most I this shit locked down but you never know. Standard BJJ school with kids classes and an after school program for children. In Nevada if that helps.

I don't like finding out surprise costs. So lay it on me. Phone Post 3.0

In. Phone Post 3.0

4000 Sq feet, overall overhead around 5.5 - 6k Phone Post 3.0

Akston - 4000 Sq feet, overall overhead around 5.5 - 6k Phone Post 3.0
What is your liability? Phone Post 3.0

If people don't mind please share how many students you need to pay the bills. On a side not I've always wondered what it is like as far as number of students on the mat each week vs amount that are on the books. Most gyms really struggle to get more than 14 adults on the mat on a regular basis but I know that there have to be a lot more than that that are paying because no one is getting by on $1400ish a month.

FanToFighter - Cost of running a school. I think we have most I this shit locked down but you never know. Standard BJJ school with kids classes and an after school program for children. In Nevada if that helps.

I don't like finding out surprise costs. So lay it on me. Phone Post 3.0

What costs have your figured so far?

One day hoping to have a place to call my own and would appreciate the insight

What insurance do you carry? Phone Post 3.0

Ttt Phone Post 3.0

ttt

Why don't you tell us what your costs are, and then people can chime in if they think you are missing something? Phone Post 3.0

Sorry guys took a while to come back. 1750 for rent 250 for strip mall specialty fee, still haven't nailed down insurance (around $1000) Phone Post 3.0

Probably around $1000 dollars in improvements for the building, $250 in utilities, and 500-700 bucks for business software. Phone Post 3.0

Also $1000 in licensing Phone Post 3.0

We have mats for the school, most we are gonna need to buy is the signs. Phone Post 3.0

i dont own an academy and I know there is so many different ways to setup a place but just a fwe stuff id assume you'd have to deal with

-benches or seating area for parents and potential students
-the fees banks charge to be able to have credi/debit card processing - Im sure there is something for the banks to be able to do direct withdrawal most academies have students do
-building a website and having someone update and maintain it
-cleaning services
-building up or setting up a changing area
-bathroom and cleaning supplies
-contracts drawn up
-costs of instructor

I'm sure most of these can be figured out through exchange for tuition but just some stuff I've dealt with at the academy i used to work at.

My Costs:

Mats:
I like Dollamur Flexiroll- 2" - cost $4.50 sq foot. Mat tape for the mats are $35 for 65 feet of tape.

Wall Pads:
To save money, I use Dollamur Flexiroll- 1.5" - cost $4.25 sq foot. These mats come in 6 foot wide widths, but Dollamur cut them into 3' wide pieces for me for my wall pads. They are low, but we don't do much stand up work against the wall.

Insurance:
I use K&K Martial Arts insurance. They seem a little higher than average, but my owner asked me to get better coverage. I spend about $1k a year- this gives me coverage for 50 students (or less) and insures 8k worth of equipment.

Association Fees:
This ranges- Alliance and Marcelo is somewhere around $100-$200 a month, with a seminar or two once a year.

Utilities:
I have a very small academy (650 sq feet)- I average only around $50-150 a month- I don't have showers, washer/dryer, etc, and I'm only open 4 nights a week.

Misc Supplies:
Toilet paper, Paper Towels, Soap, Mat Cleaners, Water, etc - Around $50-75 a month.

Website Hosting, Marketing, Advertisement, etc:
I'm lazy as this is my 2nd job. I havent spent $ on marketing and advertisement in ages, I just update my FB page and Website daily and am fortunate that my school comes up as one of the top Google search results for BJJ schools in my area.

I will eventually do FB ads for a few months and see if that drives traffic into the school.

Signs, Window Decals, etc:
I am fortunate that one of my best friend's owns a company that does all of this for me. I do compensate him a little, but I'm sure he gives me steep discounts. I'm guessing the retail price would be around $1,000 for what I have asked from him.

Getting your Space Ready:
I was fortunate that my owner painted my walls and left my space move-in ready. He told me that with most commercial places, this is the responsibility of the renter. If that is really the case, factor in $$$ to get your place ready to move in.

Auto Debit / ETF Company:
I use Pay Simple- they charge $35 a month base fee, and then 3% or so for credit card transactions.

Business Checking Account:
I use Bank of America- $35 a month, or free if I use charge $250 or more a month on my debit/credit card.

Internet:
I don't have any yet, but will eventually get some for my kids- around $50 a month.

If I think of some more, I will post a follow up.

Lastly, I spent about $2k for upgrades to the bathroom, putting in some tile on the floor near the entrance, getting 3 benches, 2 storage cubicles (for shoes and bags), and a TV for my kids.

Oh yeah, I'm in a pretty run down location- so I didnt need to get any special licenses/building permits to do work inside my space, and my outdoor signs did not need to meet certain specs.

Since you are at a mall, this could be much different- I'm not sure how much building permits will run, and special signs can cost a lot of money. A friend of mine spend $3-4k just on his outdoor sign because it had to meet special specifications of the shopping plaza he was in.

FanToFighter - Also $1000 in licensing Phone Post 3.0
What kind of license Phone Post 3.0

FanToFighter - We have mats for the school, most we are gonna need to buy is the signs. Phone Post 3.0
What's your square footage? Phone Post 3.0

Are you the instructor or are you relying on someone else to teach for you?