Sci-Fi or Fantasy Audio Book series recommendations

Its interesting to say the least.

Thats where it starts to suck you in. If you made it that far, you can finish it.
Godspeed!

1 Like

Wheel of Time is pretty awesome so far.

Interesting to see some of the similarities to LOTR and GOT. Well done though, and definitely has its own vibe.

2 Likes

The village setting in Wheel of Time is so much like LOTR that Jordan obviously wanted it noticed. Maybe a ripoff, maybe an homage, maybe an intentionally familiar scene to draw people in before the new stuff kicks in.

Might as well say Lan is Strider, the boys are excited for the fireworks, the shadowy black rider chases them through the night. I think Jordan knew that all fantasy novels begin with Tolkien, so he acknowledged it. But he really did take it somewhere different. Maybe if you start out pretending that you’re not doing Tolkien-type fantasy when you are, you’ll always be an imitation.

Japanese manga/anime has a clear idea on this issue; almost everything that comes out is openly “This is the same as that other thing you like, but this time it’s different in this specific way.” So you can focus on the creativity of something new by accepting that the framework isn’t new at all.

When the audience is thoroughly familiar with a certain premise, you don’t have to explain it again. That frees you up to do something else. For example the isekai (another world) genre in Japan, there must be hundreds of stories in the past few years about going to another world. Just like John Carter of Mars, who I’d say was the first superhero. He could leap tall buildings in a single bound, because the gravity on Mars is lower than his home planet Earth. Superman was obviously the same concept, except he got super strength by coming to Earth. Lots of different ways to explore the same thing. He comes to Earth instead, now the exact same idea plays out completely differently.

And when it becomes such a common scenario, you can skip the backstory and get straight to what makes this story different. A guy gets reincarnated as a vending machine in another world, we don’t need to know about how he got there or what his old life was like. The vending machine is the interesting part, and how he communicates with people by what he vends.

There’s one where a goddess summons a hero from Japan to another world, and he just says “So it’s like an isekai, I got it.” And she says “That’s why I summon heroes from Japan, they’re already familiar with the concept.”

With Robert Jordan, he decided to add the concept of the Wheel of Time. Tolkien was writing about Earth a long time ago, but Robert Jordan is writing about Earth in the past and also the future, because the Wheel of Time turns and repeats. This fantasy story could have happened in Earth’s distant past, and it could happen in Earth’s distant future. No difference. He leaves Easter eggs about King Arthur and other scrambled-up people and places from Earth; is it so far in the future that they got the details of our stories wrong, or are we the ones telling mixed-up versions?

Jordan’s idea is that we’ll never know all the true details of history, so we should study the recurring themes and that’s just as good. If we know how empires rise and fall, always the same, then we know all about them without knowing their names and dates.

1 Like

It is a bit strange now with Wheel of Time.

There are “fantasy” names like Rand, Lam and Perin. Then he throws in normal English names like Tom, Alice, etc. A bit distracting and disappointing (LOTR and First Law didn’t do this) , but not horrible I guess.

That’s because you’re listening to the audiobook, so you don’t see the exotic spellings like Thom.

I was actually wondering about that. I was going to look up “Wheel of Time characters” but didn’t want to see any spoilers.

What about Matt, John and Alice?

1 Like

7 hours into Wheel of Time and now it switched to some female narrator who isn’t so good… WTF?

1 Like

Just finished the fall of hyperion. Kinda like the series so far.

Hyperion was my favorite series for a while. The end of Rise Of Endymion made me cry legit tears. Amazing universe. Apparently theres been a show in the works for like 10 years. Bradley Cooper is trying to get it going.

Ah i’ll continue it after the shadow of the gods series

Okay, so I have about 30 minutes left in the book. I am totally in. I still dont fully understand one aspect but im sure it will be answered in the last 30 minutes, if not I may PM you.

That being said, if you liked this book, listen to “The Fear Saga”. Somewhat similar premise. Description below

In eleven years’ time, a million members of an alien race will arrive at Earth. Years before they enter orbit, their approach will be announced by the flare of a thousand flames in the sky, their ships’ huge engines burning hard to slow them from the vast speeds needed to cross interstellar space. These foreboding lights will shine in our night sky like new stars, getting ever brighter until they outshine even the sun, casting ominous shadows and banishing the night until they suddenly blink out. Their technology is vastly superior to ours, and they know they cannot possibly lose the coming conflict. But they, like us, have found no answer to the destructive force of the atom, and they have no intention of facing the onslaught of our primitive nuclear arsenal or the devastation it would wreak on the planet they crave. So they have flung out an advance party in front of them, hidden within one of the countless asteroids randomly roaming the void. They do not want us, they want our planet. Their Agents are arriving.

3 Likes

Thanks brotha. Ill check it out. It sounds like something Id get in to

Hyperion sounds pretty good.

It looks to be a 4 book series, is that correct?

1 Like

Wheel of Time is pretty good, but it’s not grabbing me like First Law series.

Does it pick up, or is it kind of like this pace for the next 10 books?

1 Like

The payoff is worth it IMO. It takes a long time to set everything up, but there are some good battles and magic.

1 Like

Mat is short for Matrim. I don’t remember an Alice, but there’s an Alys later in the series which I pronounce Aleese. But the audiobooks are supposed to consult with the author for proper pronunciation. I think there’s a Jon Thane in the Two Rivers, but he probably used the boring names for the dozens of farm neighbors who aren’t main characters. Daise Congar, Wil Al-Seen.

And there’s Elayne the princess, kind of a normal name.

1 Like

In for good books to listen to

1 Like

The first two books I’ve listened to this year. Just finished book 2 and it was pretty damn cool.

1 Like

Correct. There is a “fifth” book that’s more of a novella. Haven’t read it.

1 Like