Scott Bessac OG MMA/Lion’s Den AMA

How accurate was Melvins recollection of what took place as compared to yours?

I’m sure if you look at the people that really got modern boxing, wrestling and kickboxing off the ground and flourishing as the world was globalized you will see that most of the current participants and spectators have little knowledge or interest in those pioneers either.

How many football fans are interested in the NFL’s pioneers?

Those of us who saw it in real time in the 90’s think MMA history is cool but teenagers today will never see it the same way because they didn’t live it.

5 Likes

Other than them getting Aaron’s record wrong ( Melvin got it right) , it was pretty accurate. Aaron was having a fantastic run of wins at that point, and he had every right to be confident.

Melvin was just on another level.

Another part that was cool to me was him talking about his beef with Rich Clementi. I remember all that, from hearing about it from some of Rich’s guys.

Yea, I think that you’re right. They never lived in a world where MMA didn’t exist, and when it did you had to work hard to find the guys in your area that trained and competed

I was really lucky to have been introduced to John Dixon and get to train with him for years. There were nights it was just him and me and maybe a few other guys in a kung Fu studio that he used when their classes were done .

I trained everywhere from garages to ghetto gyms, and sparred anytime I had a chance. In south Mississippi it was the only way to get experience and it was a weird little sub culture that had some very
… Colorful… characters in it

5 Likes

I know Terry too.

Very true bro.

You familiar with Kage Kombat?

And please let me know if you know the promoter of Neutral Grounds.

1 Like

TTT for old school NHB in Cali.

1 Like

TTT for Tapout Taco.

I am not trying to be rude

But what exactly is the ring card girl trying to show off?

I think that she left her ass in a different pair of shorts

2 Likes

Have you seen the standards of our members on here?

For us normal guys…just add about 12 beers.

4 Likes

TTT for the annoying Greg “Kazja” Patschull the Octagon Originator.

2 Likes

Kazja’s toy version of his Octagon in 1993 8 months before the UFC Octagon.

Art Davie & Royce Gracie attended his event.

3 Likes

I fought for Katja in San Pedro. I fought one of Fabiano Iha/Tito Ortiz’s guys named Mike Meto i believe

2 Likes

Yeah,it was probably at Dancing Waters night club?

1 Like

I know it wasn’t the first MMA event in CA held outside of a reservation but I was at the Xtreme Pankration event held in Lake Forest in 2002 I think. It might’ve been one of the first. The rules were very clear on not being able to hit with a closed fist, but said absolutely nothing about elbows. I remember that not long after was that weird event that was held as part of a movie to get around the rules. Pretty sure Heath Sims fought Antonio McKee at that. Heath was at that show in Lake Forest and I had rolled with him a few times when he came to AZ, and was all excited about the fight with McKee.

2 Likes

I just listened to Scott’s episode on the Lytes Out Podcast and it was amazing for old school MMA origin stories. I go on here the next day and this thread is once again active. Great stuff. I liked the story about partying with Harold Howard. Of course he drank a 12 pack and ate a pizza the night before. Would’ve been cool if they let Scott be the alternate vs Steve Jennum as mentioned. They found Steve in the parking lot about to leave lol. Then great stories about Oleg claiming that he will win a UFC tournament, then go became an actor in Hollywood.

I’m going to watch the hell out of these this month.

Lastly, there’s an episode on there focusing on how Dan Severn is a bad bad bith dog. For the record, I met Becky Levi a few times and trained in the compound. She was very cool and stoic in training back in the early 2000’s when I would pop in. When she was in the room, you knew it. Rickson ehhhh Gracie like aura…chooo noh?

I hope they get Scott on again for round 2.

The Jason DeLucia and Frank Shamrock episodes were so good too. It felt like listening to old friends from that era who’s women wouldn’t accept their fighter lifestyles.

3 Likes

Paul Smith had a IFC Warriors Challenge event in March 1998.

First show in California.

1 Like