Scratch Off Lottery Hypothetical

It's your birthday.   Your friend gives you a card and it has 10, one dollar scratch off's in it. 

You hit on one for $25,000.  BIG WIN

What do you do for your friend who gave it to you, if anything? 

Say thanks

You're telling me I get a birthday gift AND a friend!?

I wouldn't tell them, but I'd get them an unexpectedly nice present for their birthday.

ramaham -

You're telling me I get a birthday gift AND a friend!?

Legit LOL. 

Minimum is taking him and his family out for a very nice dinner. Max is giving him 10-20% of the post tax amount in cash

Slydawg -

After 40% taxes I would give him half.

Generous dude amongst these cheap fucks. 

My family and friends often gift scratch offs around the holidays, so we've had this conversation a bunch.

If someone gave me a ticket, that for example, was a million dollar winner, I'd likely bring them with me to lottery HQ and they would get 20% pre-tax. So $200k. Massachusetts would take $10k immediately. And then they are responsible for paying the fed.

If it was a close friend I would split it with them.

I would refund how much they spent on the ticket. 

I would try to kill the bastard... with hookers and blow.

I'd end our friendship. Statistically speaking, he'll almost certainly never top that gift, so there's really nowhere for our friendship to go from there.

Give friend some of the money.

10%

Fighting -

It's your birthday.   Your friend gives you a card and it has 10, one dollar scratch off's in it. 

You hit on one for $25,000.  BIG WIN

What do you do for your friend who gave it to you, if anything? 

Me? I tell him he’s an awesome friend and we should split the winnings. I let him go cash the ticket and I take half ($12.5k) and he keeps his. 

When the state sends him a 1099-G, I say hey, I thought you knew? Sucks bro but you shouldn’t mess around, pay the state what you owe in taxes. 

$1,000

Pumpkin Spice Lazarus -

10%

I think this is the correct answer, as well. 

Hire a lawyer.

Sandy Pantz - I'd end our friendship. Statistically speaking, he'll almost certainly never top that gift, so there's really nowhere for our friendship to go from there.

Lol