Screwed out of my match yesterday.

The number one guy who won our gi division I didn't go against but we were first round in no gi. In the rules meeting they said all heel hooks, kneebars, wrist locks, Bicept and calf slicers were legal. I was super happy because I've never trained leg attacks but I play one legged x a lot and knew I could transfer that into some leg attacks.

This guys wrestling was light years ahead of mine so I knew I was getting taken down but wanted to at least play open guard. He gets a single of a collar tie ankle pick situation and I drop so it doesn't get bad. I play butterfly and elevate him. I pull his right leg to me and shoot through to 1 legged x. I scoop his heel up and bam I have the heel hook and hes tapping. Ref stops and says that's illegal. I argued and argued. Eventually we were stood up and he won on takedown points.

Funny thing is in the middle if the match he asked the guy who owns the company and says you can't cross the hip right? Owner says yes you can. In my eyes he should have stopped the match right then.

I guess it was too late. Funny thing is that put him in the finals with my teammate. I would have closed with my teammate but got fucked. Has anyone else been this screwed by a ref. sometimes it's a matter of an opinion but this is cut and dry. Phone Post 3.0

Look on the bright side. YOU know you won. And you would have closed with a teammate, so you can notch it as a win. Phone Post 3.0

What tournament Phone Post 3.0

Reaping is a stupid rule imo Phone Post 3.0

torubu - Look on the bright side. YOU know you won. And you would have closed with a teammate, so you can notch it as a win. Phone Post 3.0
That's essentially what everyone was saying to me. It blows to not have the hardware with it. I metaled in the gi and would have no gi also. Just sucks. Phone Post 3.0

Rick Screeton - Reaping is a stupid rule imo Phone Post 3.0
It is a dumb ass rule and that's why I was stoked when they said the rule was abolished for my division. I went back to my team happy as hell. I told everyone I've never done leg locks in a tournament so I was going to go for all I could. Phone Post 3.0

What tournament? Phone Post 3.0

ryanjudoka - What tournament? Phone Post 3.0
American Grappling Challenge. Phone Post 3.0

Side note: nothing negative about this tournament. It was fast and all of my matches outside of this one was under a different ref. things went great. The old name of this tournament was OGC and it was also great. This is ref oriented only not the organization. Just to be clear. Phone Post 3.0

It sucks, and it ain't right, but it happens to everyone at some point Phone Post 3.0

joshjitsu - It sucks, and it ain't right, but it happens to everyone at some point Phone Post 3.0
Good point:( Phone Post 3.0

joshjitsu - It sucks, and it ain't right, but it happens to everyone at some point Phone Post 3.0

This. And competing is about much more than a $5 medal. Phone Post

dannybjj -

This is so true. I have no idea where my medals from tournaments are. But I know specifically what I learned from each of them. Phone Post 3.0

A_Butler -
dannybjj -

This is so true. I have no idea where my medals from tournaments are. But I know specifically what I learned from each of them. Phone Post 3.0
Lets not make this out like that's what I care about. A ref that didn't know the rules made a call that kept me from finishing. I had never lost a no gi match in 3 years so I was a little salty Phone Post 3.0

What division were you competing in?  On their website it says that heel hooks are illegal in adult beginner no-gi, but it doesn't mention any other divisions.

ChippewaBJJ -

What division were you competing in?  On their website it says that heel hooks are illegal in adult beginner no-gi, but it doesn't mention any other divisions.

I wasn't in beginner. Also I'm not going to debate it. Beginning of the tournament we had a rules meeting with Dustin who said all leg locks were legal. Also watched Dustin enforce the rule In a match he reffed when a dude named squirrel got heal hooked. Also after my ref messed up he asked Dustin as he walked by and Dustin once again said it was legal. Phone Post 3.0

In no tournament will a bad call ever be overturned. Anyone who had competed enough times has been screwed. It sucks. But if someone is competing solely because they want to post on Facebook about the medal they won, that person is missing out on an opportunity to be a better player. It's about growth, becoming better, and laying it on the line. Op is no less of a competitor because of a bs call. Phone Post