Screwed up "justice" system

I know this isn't MMA related - and I DID put it on the "legal ground" also, I just figured it would get more attention here, and I felt the need for a little attention, LOL.

Tonight I got pulled over by the blue lights, and had no idea why.  I got the full spotlight and flashlight treatment, and then, finally, a female town cop finally appeared at my window.  To make a long story short, she pulled me over for "not stopping at the stop sign" and for having my third brake light out.

The fucked up part is that I DID stop at the stop sign.  It's one of those 4-way stops, and I was making a left turn at 12:30 am.  Not another car in sight, I slowed down, stopped just long enough for the suspension to equalize back out, and stepped on the gas.  I was probably "fully stopped' for just an instant, but I DID stop.  She argued that I didn't, took my paperwork, went back to her cruiser and then came up with a ticket for $199 for "failure to stop at a stop sign" and a verbal warning for my tail light.

I most definitely plan to fight this in court!!!!  I may win, I may lose, but I'll be God damned if I'm going to fork over two hundred bucks without a fight!  If she'd given me a ticket for the brake light and a warning for the stop sign, I'd have probably gone along without much fuss.......... but this is fucking ridiculous!!!

Here's where it's REALLY fucked up though:

Last March I was on my way home from the hospital at 2:00 am.  My wife had just had 5 surgeries in 6 days, dealing with issues caused by her cancer, and I knew she didn't have much longer to live.  So here I am, crying while driving on the Interstate (it's about an hour and a half from the hospital to home, almost all highway), and I was NOT paying attention to my dash.......... so I got pulled over, and got my FIRST traffic ticket in 20 years of driving.  The state trooper asked me if I knew how fast I was going, I was honest and told him I had no idea.  He clocked me at 84 (I-91 has a 65 mph limit).  MY TICKET WAS FOR $158.00

So, I guess that driving at excessive speeds on the interstate is considered less of an infraction than "allegedly" failing to stop at a stop sign on a street with ZERO traffic on it.

Is that messed up, or what???

It does suck that you got a traffic citation.

It really sucks that you have to fork out 2 bills!

But, how does that equate to the justice system being screwed up?

Do fight the ticket in court if you think you were right.  And your wife's illness is a bummer.  But if you cannot put it out of your head and focus on your driving then you shouldn't be driving.  It's that simple.

You also have to take into consideration, that one must come to a complete stop before the limit.

But, I say fight a ticket if you can.

Want lose a point on the record and you save bucks.....

lol I thought this would be a thread bashing Paris Hilton for doing 3 days of a 45 day sentence!

Anyways, get this, there's a law suit going on where I live against some cop that pulled over a woman who was speeding. Why was she speeding, well her husband had a heart attack, so she was racing as fast as she could to get to the hospital. Anyway, with her husband having the heart attack, naturally she was in a frantic and nervous state. So what does this prick rookie cop do? -takes her out of the car, slams her down on the trunk, cuffs her and takes her to jail!!! We're talking about your average, american soccer mom!

Man I'd love to get my hands on that fucking POS!

"I most definitely plan to fight this in court!!!! I may win, I may lose, but I'll be God damned if I'm going to fork over two hundred bucks without a fight!"

What is screwed up is you think a likely very busy court and DA should take the time to bother with your nonsense. Two points that might help you: Don't break the law and you probably won't have this problem in the future. Second, talk to someone in the DAs office and try to plead the ticket down. Most likely they will only because going to trail over such a ticket is an outstanding waste of resources.

"I slowed down, stopped just long enough for the suspension to equalize back out, and stepped on the gas.  I was probably "fully stopped' for just an instant"

You can go to court on it, but you will have to pay your fine AND court fees when you lose.  By your own admission, you made what is called a "hollywood" stop.  Being fully stopped at a sign means there is a pause long enough for you to be aware of oncoming traffic which you admit that you did not.

Just pay your fines and move on with your life.  Grow up and stop blaming Law Enforcement for doing their job.  In other words, don't blame others for your own short comings. 

CounterStrikeKO, I can't even cut and paste what you wrote without cringing.  WTF?  Are you completely retarded?  

"Why was she speeding, well her husband had a heart attack, so she was racing as fast as she could to get to the hospital. Anyway, with her husband having the heart attack, naturally she was in a frantic and nervous state. "

Then she shouldn't have been driving.  Plain and simple.  That woman was in control (or not in control) of a two-ton piece of machinery with the potential to harm anyone who had the misfortune to share the road with her.  She should have used public transportation (not as good as it should be in most parts of the country), found someone to drive her or taken a taxi.  If none was available - tough!  She does not own the road.  Driving is a privilege, not a right. 

Excessive force = Another issue.

I got a similar ticket, cops told me you had to stop for 3 seconds, not an instant.

If you go to court make sure you say..."I stopped, the officer is mistaken" Don't get into the technicalities of the rolling stop or anything like that. Just make it 100% your word versus hers.

I'm always surprised to see adults who don't know how to play the game. Just "act" respectful, admit you were wrong (EVEN IF YOU'RE NOT) and they let you go. If you argue with a cop or tell them THEY are wrong you are getting a fucking ticket. It's a simple game learn to play it.

I'm 29 and aside from a DWI when I was 18 I've never gotten a ticket being pulled over a dozen times including running through a red light on purpose right in front of a cop I didn't see. They don't want to hear some asshole who thinks he's above the law tell THEM what they saw. You will never win like that.

You can complain all day long about injustice but the truth is the cops are there FOR you and if you show respect they know what side you're on.

2 Things:

1) None of us were there besides Adam, so let's not make the assumption that it wasn't some moody cop who was itchy to bust some balls. Maybe he was in the wrong, maybe he wasn't, we don't know, let's not judge.

2) Some on here may not know this, the man has suffered a very recent and terrible loss. Please show some support or hold your tongue.

the justice system works....that's why paris hilton is free.

FIGHT THAT FUCKING TICKET!!!
I've gone to court and contested every ticket I or any member of my family has ever received. I've never lost! I've beat them in Maryland, Washington D.C., Va., Florida, and Texas. Don't let the system intimidate you. It's your right to demand a hearing or trial. The fact is, they want your money and don't give a crap about anything else. They don't want to waste court time and money on traffic tickets. Almost always, if you make any case at all, they will withhold judication if you just pay the fine. That means, there's no record of the ticket and your insurance company never hears about it. You also get NO points. If everybody that got a ticket went to court the courts would be so clogged they would stop writing the damn things.

^^^^^^i disagree adam, after taking the day off work , driving to the courthouse and sitting in court all day there is no guarantee you will win, sometimes they'll reduce the fine, but i doubt you'll win. sometimes you just have to take it with a smile. either way good luck.

^^^If you want to roll over for the cops be my guest. I'm speaking from personal experience. I have had them completely dismissed on several occasions and NEVER gotten any points. A few fines, yes. But the important thing is no record and no points.

You CAN beat the system if you know how and are willing to get off your ass and put up a fight.

I consider myself a professional speeder and have the clean record to back it up.

Adam, fight it, bro.

Diesel67, shut up.

Just one quick story.
We've got one female cop in town that wrote up my son twice in one year for bullshit because he drives a pretty hot '68' Camaro. I humiliated her in court both times. She never wrote him another.

I'm not a lawyer and have never used one. I am a member of the National Motorists Association whose mission is the elimination of B.S. traffic laws and enforcement. They provide a great "ticket fighting" resource kit that will provide you with all the information you need to successfully fight that ticket.

Suck it the fuck up. Crybaby.

woe is 100% correct. there are a lot of really good cops out there, but there are also many who abuse their power. hold them accountable. rights are like muscles, use them or lose them.