Sean Salmon Question

good post, but Tito did try 2 TDs which never came close. he never really wanted to stand with chuck, he just knew that he couldn't take or keep him down. for more of the same, flip it to PPV on sat night.

if what sean does works for him, more power to him. I myself would want to research the sport (and my opponents) as much as possible before risking my body in there. but whatever is best for sean, he should stick with. I wish him luck against rashad, who is a very tough opponent for a UFC debut fight.

Those who CAN'T fight watch video and study the history of MMA. Those who CAN fight.......FIGHT!!!!

lolol............  just when u think people cant be any more ignorant.

I will elaborate on why I just found it odd.......and cant undertstand the defensiveness of some of the posts.

I remember Rex Holman from JR Natl's and going into college.  Huge things were expected of him. Now Mark Kerr put an end to Holmans 1992 NCAA Wrestling championship hopes when he beat him in the semi's.  Kerr was seeded 4th, Holman 1st.  Now I think thats significant enough to inspire someone to maybe pick up a video tape *wrestling or mma) in your lifetime  of a guy who beat your mentor  at some point of your  wrestling career ...........in HS.............in college.............or  in ur MMA career ..........where one aspire to make a living or at least compete............considering Kerr was destroying everyone he faced in MMA  prior toi the personal probs.

Holman did win it in 1993 (ncaa d I title  @ 190)  and was a phenominal wrestler and he defined dominance in his HS career going into college.

www.wrestlingstats.com/ncaa/pdf/brackets/NCAA%201992.pdf

I posted before I read Buckeye's response.

Good clarification.  I can buy into not studying the tape and his late entrance into MMA, but my post included Wrestling in there and the significance of the Holman -Kerr era in D I Wreestling btwn 90-93 is was significant enough that I'd think he would have seen Kerr at least wrestle......Kerr was the Olympic alternate behind Kurt Angle too.

Sorry, I just dont see the significance of Sean watching a college wrestling match from '93 or whenever it was just because Sean and Rex are buddies. And like I said before I dont think Sean thinks of Rex as a mentor at this point. They may one day fight eachother.

So he hasn't seen Kerr, Lindland, or Henderson much in MMA. He has seen them wrestle live. Either way, big deal!

are you sean's brother?

btw, people should not be taking offense to us thinking that it's odd for salmon to have never seen mark kerr fight or wrestle.

if you take offense to that, you are a mighty sensitive soul LOL... remember... it's tough out there!

Just to clarify some things... I don't want anyone to think I'm speaking for Sean. I talk to him from time to time and these days I only occasionally train with him. I can, however, shed some light on the beginning of his MMA career and offer some insight when others begin to make uninformed decisions about him. Sean may or may not win the fight with Rashad - they're both tough guys and each guy's style may pose significant problems for the other. I do know this though, Sean Salmon has been extremely dedicated to this sport since the day he began training for it.

He made his pro debut (with no prior amateur mma experience mind you) against an opponent who at the time had something like 17 pro fights with a winning record. Since then he's evolved his game and is 10x the fighter he was ony a year ago. He's gone on to win all but 1 fight, and only one of his 10 MMA fights has gone to a decision. While not all of his opponents have been the highest caliber, he's never asked for any easy match-up. In fact, Sean was asking for tough fights (against UFC vets) after only 4-5 months of MMA training.

Wow, way 2 much made of thsi thread with the clarifications.

I didnt create this thread to question or justify his existence or his participation in the UFC. 

My point only was..................for any current fighter/wrestler.......... Not seeing Kerr fight MMA is like being a 160 lb boxer and not ever seeing a Ray Leonard fight. ...............or something similar.  Throw in the 1 degree of seperation and its Crazy odds.

He is probly the 1 out of 10,000+  that hasnt.  I just find that odd.

Surf- Yes, I am Sean's brother.

Dont mean to sound "sensitive", I just dont see the significance.

OK well good luck to your bro, man.

I'll be watching and rooting for him for sure.

I wouldn't be surprised by it. I have interviewed lots of boxers who've never seen their guys fight or at least say that.

i think it's mostly a mental thing where they have seen the guy but don't want to discuss tactics.

Sean doesn't need to watch footage from that era-it doesn't apply now. I'm quite confiedent he knows who Kerr is from his wrestling background. Sean is extremely current regarding wrestling, but as Buckeye stated, he wasn't a huge student of the game prior to his fight career. Besides, I've seen Kerr, Lindland & Coleman enough times for him;)lol. He will beat Rashad.

Sean doesn't need to watch footage from that era-it doesn't apply now.

LOL

all in all, maybe he has an advantage. The first thing most of us do is put patches on our gi, download a few k-1 fights buy a ppv and poof were mma'ers. Oh and sign up on mma.tv and sherdog. Maybe this dude just goes to the gym and trains.

I agree, it is an odd case. 1-10k. Rashad by ko. But he sounds like a good prospect regardless.

Surf- Thanks.

Florida bound.

Odessa-I just meant that with the rules variances from then to now it isn't quite the same sport.

Its all good, this thread was just misunderstood. 

that "asking for UFC Vets" statement was very very funny.
thank you.