Search for dude near my house - not a happy ending

The day before yesterday I was working out in the office in my outbuilding, taking calls with the doors open on a beautiful day when suddenly the helis were buzzing right lowly over my house. It happened several times throughout the day as they would return from their rounds, landing at the search and rescue command center they set up in the school yard across the field from me. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHEUHD_W_QE

On the return route they were right above me shaing the pictures on my wall. Anyhow, it turned out they were on a difficult recovery mission for a missing hiker from Rossland who had gone out to hike Mt Gimli by himself on his 28th birthday. This is my wife's favorite hike and we were going to do it on her birthday in a month from now, but she broke her foot. Super gorgeous up there.

Now this morning I see that there is an article on Fox News about the fellow. Apparently he was a former contestent on The Amazing Race, so some of you may recognize him. Apparently he came second place in 2017. I've never watched the show. He went over a cliff ledge and fell 800 ft to his death. Sad stuff........just out living the live on a birthday self date. 

Kenneth McAlpine was found dead Tuesday on his 28th birthday, officials said.

McAlpine was found dead after hiking alone on Mount Gimli in the Kootenay region of British Columbia, according to officials.

RIP young fellow. Lived well, well he lived!

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/amazing-race-canada-kenneth-mcalpine-dead

Just read about this...sad stuff. RIP

ABCTT_TFK_Mr.Smiff - Just read about this...sad stuff. RIP

Hey you! 

Image result for sushi cone gif

Soon.

OP - how does something like this happen on that mountain? How does someone fall off of a clif? I am thinking rock and substrate probably came loose and made him slip or he was hit by it? Bizarre.

fuck.. rip

Are we talking hiking or actual mountain climbing? I too am confused how this could happen? The news report makes it seems like the guy was walking along a minding his own business when he lost his balance and flipped over some safety chains along a ledge, falling to his death. 

Willin -

OP - how does something like this happen on that mountain? How does someone fall off of a clif? I am thinking rock and substrate probably came loose and made him slip or he was hit by it? Bizarre.

I think he must have gone around the north side for a better view down into the Mulvey Basin.

Image result for gimli ridge

Here is a look at the other side of the ridge where you can see Mulvey Basin down below.

Image result for mulvey basin

It's super beautiful back country, but the route he took would have some risky ledges to get across, and clearly it didn't work out.

A solo trip on his birthday, in which he goes over a cliff

Suicide?

baj54 -

Are we talking hiking or actual mountain climbing? I too am confused how this could happen? The news report makes it seems like the guy was walking along a minding his own business when he lost his balance and flipped over some safety chains along a ledge, falling to his death. 

Lol at safety chains. Nah, this isn't like going to the lookout at the Grand Canyon........this is a full day trek into the back country.

Chimonos Revenge - A solo trip on his birthday, in which he goes over a cliff

Suicide?

No, I highly doubt it. The guy was clearly an avid outdoorsman. I get the self date on his birthday because I've been doing it every year for the past 25 years, and it's one of my favorite days each year. However, my steak dinner and movie date now pales in comparison to the way he chose to spend his day (with the obvious exception). Definitely not a suicide......just a slip in a wild rugged place at the wrong time. Or at least that's my presumption.

sgotwalks - 
Chimonos Revenge - A solo trip on his birthday, in which he goes over a cliff

Suicide?

No, I highly doubt it. The guy was clearly an avid outdoorsman. I get the self date on his birthday because I've been doing it every year for the past 25 years, and it's one of my favorite days each year. However, my steak dinner and movie date now pales in comparison to the way he chose to spend his day (with the obvious exception). Definitely not a suicide......just a slip in a wild rugged place at the wrong time. Or at least that's my presumption.

Yeah.

Shitty

Here, look what I found. A short clip my wife took when she went on a day hike back there by herself a few years ago. Gives you a good idea of the surroundings. At least she said she was by herself.........I told her there were a couple sounds out of her while she was filming that sounded like she was gettin it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DscWw8T7Apk&list=UU-12GrQZJcyQ-tSGGZz87og&index=48

That's some pretty nice looking alpine stone. Is there climbing to be done up there? 

sgotwalks -

Here, look what I found. A short clip my wife took when she went on a day hike back there by herself a few years ago. Gives you a good idea of the surroundings. At least she said she was by herself.........I told her there were a couple sounds out of her while she was filming that sounded like she was gettin it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DscWw8T7Apk&list=UU-12GrQZJcyQ-tSGGZz87og&index=48

LOL yeah she was definitely getting it.

sgotwalks -

Based on those sounds i would say Gimli was on Jess

iclimb513 -

That's some pretty nice looking alpine stone. Is there climbing to be done up there? 

Absolutely some climbing to be done out here. I can't contribute much to the conversation because that scares the shit out of me, but I love seeing the climbers doing their thing. I know you climb (don't ask me how I know that), so I'm sure you'd love it. You'd have to hike up and in about 5 to 6 hours with your gear to get to this spot, camp and climb, hike out. There was a climber who fell and died their last summer on the Gimli face.

Sogsteel -
sgotwalks -

Based on those sounds i would say Gimli was on Jess

Lol!