Second stripe on white belt

The last 4 months have been awesome. I have gotten back to Jiu Jitsu after about 6 years off. Reciently I noticed that my instructor has been pairing me up with a lot of blue belts in class. Fot the most part, I can kind of hang but end up tapping at least a few times.

I find that I really have to work hared and smarter with the blues. I was thinking why is a one stripe white sparring with blues.. Then out of the blue I got another stripe.

I love this sport...

I am hoping I can get by blue within a year. I just have to stay healthy. Lots of injuries have been showing up lately..

kewl

Good luck with the staying healthy part.

I've found I get hurt more doing BJJ then I did any other sport in high school/college.

Congrats!

I thoought at first it is my age 41. But when talking to other students that all have something going "on"..

Just the other day we were practicing defending against a person taking your back.. Basically one guy would sit behind the other put his hooks and take hold. The guy in front would have to try to escape. The instructor showed us a bunch of twisting moves where you turn in your attacker.. That night my ribs were so soar due to all the tristing movement. No other sport ever did this type of thing to me..

Congrats on the stripe! Also sounds like maybe you need to concentrate on stretching and proper warmups before and after class. Hard rolling/spazzes in class aside, it really helps cut down on injuries whether you're old or not. Been hearing about the yoga-bjj connection since the old days but really never paid it any attention til I got older. Now I know them yoga freaks were right all along.

BJJ can get rough, but if you train smart you can limit injuries.

If you think BJJ is rough try Judo.

LOL. Judo can be a soft art when trained right. But at the same time the worst injuries I've seen/caused were during randori. In my gym we had a BIG powerlifter type dude train with us for awhile and he blew out his knee trying to resist/muscle his way out of getting thrown with osoto gari. And I popped a guy's shoulder out of socket throwing him with harai makikomi(http://judoinfo.com/images/animations/blue/haraimakikomi.gif). Dude needed surgery and was out of commission for a year and a half.

That said, I've generally seen more injuries, though less severe, in bjj/grappling due to the amount of ego and spazzes you find on the mat. People crank shit and/or don't tap when they should because winning is the only thing that's important.

Judo is the most painful thing I have ever experienced.

Really.

Chalupa - Judo is the most painful thing I have ever experienced.

Really.

How about rolling with a BB BJJ'er who is also a BB in judo and can also wrestle?

TBoy2 - BJJ can get rough, but if you train smart you can limit injuries.

I completely agree. Damn is Judo TOUGH!

http://www.softjudo.com/