Secret Invasion #8

On sale tomorrow, spoilers have already hit the web (isn't life in the digital age just grand?).  So until tomorrow....this is place holder for the knashing of teeth and general bitching that is sure to come.

BUT

If you really must know, a detailed account is listed at http://www.newsarama.com/common/community/forums/?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3a46ada8ea-92e4-4618-9265-5be7cad0342bForum%3aeddf0de6-9daf-45e6-a15c-da5305371fbeDiscussion%3aecfdd178-c6f4-4be2-b7d4-ebae84c9657b&plckCategoryCurrentPage=0

Keep in mind there be SPOILERS there.

I'll read the spoiler rather then donate my hard earned $3 to that terrible, terrible series.

Just read the spoilers. Thanks god I didn't buy it. Sounds like garbage. Yu is the worst choice for a series like this and Bendis seems to have written the whole thing for (according to the spoilers) what is on the last page.

Last page does sound good though. Welcome to Bendis next great idea with terrible execution.

Comicbookresources weighs in with a review ( 3.5 out of 5 stars)

From http://www.comicbookresources.com:8080/?page=user_review&id=532

This issue has not just been months in the making, but years, going all the way back to when Brian Michael Bendis launched “New Avengers.” Not only does it have to end “Secret Invasion,” it also has to set up the next overarching story, “Dark Reign.” That’s a lot of pressure on a single comic book and a lot of expectation to live up to. Does the finale of “Secret Invasion” manage to do all of that?

Almost.

Here’s what we know going in: the Skrulls have invaded and, last issue, let loose a last-ditch effort to defeat the heroes of Earth and, possibly, destroy the world itself rather than lose. The Wasp has been infected with some sort of growth formula by the Skrull that replaced Hank Pym that has her spewing energy and primed to kill everyone. How exactly is not clear, but things do not look good.

What follows is unexpected and not without losses for the heroes. This issue does change things across the board, affecting nearly every part of the Marvel universe. One change is a surprise, but Bendis uses that event to set up an even more shocking moment, demonstrating that “Dark Reign” will have much greater implications than expected.

Much of this issue is tying up the loose ends of “Secret Invasion” and setting up “Dark Reign,” and, as a result, this issue does feel like a collection of scenes rather than a cohesive story at times. To Marvel and Brian Michael Bendis’s credit, they could have tried to fit everything into the previous issue like they did in “Civil War,” but decided to give the resolution more space to breath, which does allow for much more powerful moments between characters.

The greatest strength of this issue isn’t the shocking moments or the actual plot, but Bendis’s wonderful handling of the people who we have spent the better part of a year cheering on and hoping would pull through. This issue demonstrates that while “Secret Invasion” may have been motivated by external plot mechanisms, at the end of the day, it really comes down to the characters and how it affects them, what it means to them. Granted, a lot of the consequences will be dealt with in other books, but Bendis does his best to make sure there is some emotional closure here.

Leinil Francis Yu is a big reason why Bendis is able to pull off those great character scenes as he handles the emotion well, knowing when to make it big and dramatic, and when to give it an understated look. Each character’s reaction to various events is unique to them and instead of a “one size fits all” expression, Yu makes each character unique. Even in big crowd scenes, everyone doesn’t just blend in, which is saying a lot. Some of his panels are just perfect.

While it doesn’t provide the best story ever told like everyone no doubt hopes it will, “Secret Invasion” #8 does conclude the story well and sets up the next stage in the Marvel universe in an appropriately surprising and compelling manner, choosing to focus more on character than big plot movements – which is how it should be when you think about it.

Yu was terrible on this book. He's gone downhill fast in the last 3-4 years

Just read it.

Writing the final as (mostly) a narrative was a cheap cop-out, particularly when the rest of the story was (supposed) to be so personal.

But the last scene and what it sets up.....Joey Q and Bendis are bastids.  I'm hooked!

I hope the end of Final Crisis gets me as interested in the DCU as Secret Invastion has got me looking forward to the Marvel U.  Of course, ymmv.

So, what's the deal, there's a bad guy Illuminatti?

Daredevil73 -  So, what's the deal, there's a bad guy Illuminatti?
Well:

1. Norman Osborne has gross amounts of power now --- he's running the new SHIELD (HAMMER), has the ear of the President, and seems to be in charge of all things super hero

2. There appears to be a bad guy Illuminatti, consisting of Osborne, Doom, Emma Frost, Namor and Loki

3. Tony Stark is enemy #1, and Stark-tech is banned from government use

4. Luke Cage and Jessica Jones' child is missing

5. The fate of The Iniative is up in the air, since it was revealed to have been a Skull plot

6. SHIELD is disbanded

So from my perspective:

Tony Stark being hunted like a dog?  I'm in!

Nick Fury determined to start kicking ass and taking names? Sign me up!

Luke Cage and Jessican Jones' tearing everything apart to find their baby girl? I'm there!

Emma evil?  A double agent?  Say it ain't so, but I've got to know!

Of course, ymmv, but I'm happy as a clam.

Doom, Frost and Namor are not evil. Loki with giant Boobs can`t be all that bad either.

Alder Hiss - Doom, Frost and Namor are not evil.

I mostly agree.  I positively ADORE Emma. 

Alder Hiss - Loki with giant Boobs can`t be all that bad either.

How can you argue with logic like that?  Well said!

It was a let down, overall, and we all know it.  It did have it's moments though. 

So was Stark tricked into fighting superheros for Civil War?

acid jazz - So was Stark tricked into fighting superheros for Civil War?

That's a good question --- and if Marvel/Bedis is smart, one they won't answer.

I didn't like Secret Invasion as a stand alone story. The story left a lot of gaps for me, and with so much planning (since before New Avengers #1) you'd think that they would have planned a better series. The ending felt rushed, and I hated having it in flashback form and narrated was crap.
But I love where this is heading for the Marvel U. I don't remember being this excited for comics in a long time. Theres so many questions of who is who, and what side are they on, its crazy. I love Tony being stripped of his power and a lot of his money, and with Thor's dialogue in SI#8 it seems most of his friends.
Secret Invasion feels like a segway, because Im way more excited to see what happens after than I was for any issue of SI.

So hammer replaces shield, but with Fury still around and Dum Dum Duggan revealed to be alive and well I think we can say that shield will once again emerge and It'll be Osborne Vs Fury somewhere down the line

also in the illuminati is The Hood.i was reading that it was supposed to be magneto instead of emma frost,but continuity wouldnt allow it.hopefully this dark reign is just a precursor to dr.doom ruling all(cant imagine him taking orders from norman)

Wait... I didn't read any of this. How did Thor come to the conclusion that Tony was responsible for this? I assume that it's because the Illuminati got caught and gave the Skrulls the ability to pull this off, but how does Thor know that?

thefaint - Wait... I didn't read any of this. How did Thor come to the conclusion that Tony was responsible for this? I assume that it's because the Illuminati got caught and gave the Skrulls the ability to pull this off, but how does Thor know that?

Thor is pissed at Tony for other reasons.  During Civil War, Tony used some of Thor's DNA to create a clone --- which Thor neither knew about or approved.  In the Thor series reboot, Thor said Tony had "violated" him and they would talk more about it  (the brief "conversation" they had resulted in Thor thrashing Iron Man's armor).

Worst. Art. Ever.

Not a great story either.

paw -
Thor is pissed at Tony for other reasons.  During Civil War, Tony used some of Thor's DNA to create a clone --- which Thor neither knew about or approved.  In the Thor series reboot, Thor said Tony had "violated" him and they would talk more about it  (the brief "conversation" they had resulted in Thor thrashing Iron Man's armor).

Yeah, that part I remember. Thor beating the shit out of Tony was one of the better things to happen recently.