Section 8 tenant destroys house...disgusting!

Saw literally 1000x worse yesterday. It was ASTOUNDING. Landlord lives out of state. It's a 300k house outside and something out of a post-apocalypse movie inside. Phone Post 3.0

I have 12 rental units. I have done section 8 one time. It was the worst experience ever and I will never ever rent to a section 8 hood rat piece of shit ever again. I can completely sympathize with this guy. Phone Post 3.0

fuck it, i would have just burned it down

JustTheTip - 
bemsqua - 
tikmovado - Yuck.

Nasty savage humans that do not give a fuck.

When given things for free people do not take pride or care for things.

Yeah...now the guy is still stuck with the mortgage and all the damages. Toward the end I think he paid $200,000-$220,000 for the house and now it is worth $20,000. I think down deep people really want to help those not as fortunate, but seeing things like this makes you think. I can't even comprehend the mentality of someone like that.....$53 is all you had to pay.

Didn't see the end but that is bullshit. It's mostly cosmetic work but that could all be fixed for around $20,000 tops. I sold Real Estate in Vegas for 6 years and focused mostly on bank owned homes and have seen them in way worse condition than that. To say a home has $200K in cosmetic work is wrong, unless she somehow made the neighborhood drop in value and fucked up everything structurally and ruined all electric and plumbing. Still, I'm sure the land is worth way more than $20K.

Little advice if you're a landlord. Put in the lease that you will need access to the property every 3 months or so to replace air filters (or any other maintenance aspect of home). This way you are in there consistently to ensure they are following the lease and are not destroying your home. That vid is what happens after years of lack of maintenance. But still, that cunt should be forced to pay for that and I'm sure she won't.

I spent years in disaster restoration, trust me when I say that would be a hell of a lot more than $20k to restore. Think just how much floors(including new subfloors as well)and appliances will cost them(I know you said you didn't watch until the end, but it looks like they had decent, but not top-of-the-line). Now add in all the mold remediation(which they will most likely have to demo much of the drywall as well), window replacement, fixtures, and even things like paint and your WELL above $20k. Basically, what they have there is a structure with plumbing and electric.

give a person a hand and they'll take an arm

JustTheTip -
Fighting - 

So that bitch stole his appliances, sold them and replaced them with shitty ones? 

She won't pay a goddamn dime.  Furious!

Ya this is what bugs me. When you have nothing, you really have nothing to lose. And she didn't replace the appliances with shittier ones, she just stole the fridge, washer, and dryer and pretty much destroyed the stove.

She deserves to be homeless until she can learn how to take care of someone elses property or buy her own shithole she can ruin.
She stole the stove as well. It was said in the video and it was clearly a different and shittier stove.

Original was new and black, current was old, rusted, shitty and white. Phone Post 3.0

Pugilist82 - 
JustTheTip - 
bemsqua - 
tikmovado - Yuck.

Nasty savage humans that do not give a fuck.

When given things for free people do not take pride or care for things.

Yeah...now the guy is still stuck with the mortgage and all the damages. Toward the end I think he paid $200,000-$220,000 for the house and now it is worth $20,000. I think down deep people really want to help those not as fortunate, but seeing things like this makes you think. I can't even comprehend the mentality of someone like that.....$53 is all you had to pay.

Didn't see the end but that is bullshit. It's mostly cosmetic work but that could all be fixed for around $20,000 tops. I sold Real Estate in Vegas for 6 years and focused mostly on bank owned homes and have seen them in way worse condition than that. To say a home has $200K in cosmetic work is wrong, unless she somehow made the neighborhood drop in value and fucked up everything structurally and ruined all electric and plumbing. Still, I'm sure the land is worth way more than $20K.

Little advice if you're a landlord. Put in the lease that you will need access to the property every 3 months or so to replace air filters (or any other maintenance aspect of home). This way you are in there consistently to ensure they are following the lease and are not destroying your home. That vid is what happens after years of lack of maintenance. But still, that cunt should be forced to pay for that and I'm sure she won't.

I spent years in disaster restoration, trust me when I say that would be a hell of a lot more than $20k to restore. Think just how much floors(including new subfloors as well)and appliances will cost them(I know you said you didn't watch until the end, but it looks like they had decent, but not top-of-the-line). Now add in all the mold remediation(which they will most likely have to demo much of the drywall as well), window replacement, fixtures, and even things like paint and your WELL above $20k. Basically, what they have there is a structure with plumbing and electric.

In fairness, companies who do resto work for insurance companies usually get paid more than you could get the job done for..... I've got a friend who LOVES doing resto work through peoples insurance because he always makes about double what he would just doing the job for the owner.

a $300 faucet in that shitty sink?

Years ago I lived down the street from the section 8 apartment complex. Basically a huge bunch of dirt bags. A lot of drugs and crime in till they closed the place down. Once it was non section 8 things were much better. Phone Post

MMAdotCOM - also this basically proves my economics teacher right. he showed pictures of housing in communist countries and although not as bad as this place, they were not taken care of because people had no incentive to give a shit
The incentive, though sadly not enough for far too many people, is pride in oneself; which is only strengthened through respect of your own, other peoples' or communal property as it were.

Sad how little respect exists in the world these days :( Phone Post 3.0

BUSH HATES BLACK PEOPLE

MMAdotCOM - 
Steven McTowelie - 
MMAdotCOM - also this basically proves my economics teacher right. he showed pictures of housing in communist countries and although not as bad as this place, they were not taken care of because people had no incentive to give a shit
The incentive, though sadly not enough for far too many people, is pride in oneself; which is only strengthened through respect of your own, other peoples' or communal property as it were.

Sad how little respect exists in the world these days :( Phone Post 3.0

government just builds a new one or buys you another one. doesn't matter

Where do you think " government " gets the cash?

I think you're really underestimating the amount of mold in that house. From the looks of it, there was pretty serious visible mold up and downstairs. Keep in mind that she let that water leak in for months without reporting it. I worked out of NYC, so it wouldn't be as expensive I'm sure, but just from the quick look I saw in the vid we would have charged around 10-12k. Water damage isn't too bad if you catch it early, but once it gets that bad, it could be a nightmare. I agree with your fixtures, windows, and paint figures, but think the appliances(keep in mind this includes the entire kitchen and laundry room), fixtures, floors(which is completely ruined- top-floor and sub-floor), and misc are low.

ATLANTA!!!

That EZ Money isn't so easy now...

I denied a tenant who was a GS-14 with tons of work history only because I didn't like his credit score. In an explanation letter he stated that he went through a divorce and defaulted on some credit. Sorry bro I can't risk it. This is my investment and its business not personal.

I will be damned if a section 8 tenant even looked at my property.

Instead I picked a marine couple with a perfect score and history. I also make periodic inspection and the home looks better than when I lived in it. Phone Post 3.0

Got to love the "blame the victim" mentality of parts of the OG. This guy expected someone to keep her word and act in a civilized manner. Have any of you ever left a rental in such condition? If so you're a scumbag. We as a society need to judge assholes like this lady and not give them a pass. Section 8 should either repair or repay the owner for the repairs and theft. This lady should be on the hook for that amount through any taxes she may pay in the future and nationally freeze any benefits for her until she starts paying back.

This story takes me back to around 1993 or 94 working a summer job as a painter. One of the guys told me that they will never take work on government housing ever again and proceeded to tell me horror stories. This was not BMW driving and three piece suit wearing cats. They were rough guys that came home dirty smelling sweat and chemicals daily.

The lowball prices I've seen to gut and replace a lot of the damage and theft are all assuming two things:
1. This guy is doing all the work himself.
2. His time isn't worth anything.

danny A - Got to love the "blame the victim" mentality of parts of the OG. This guy expected someone to keep her word and act in a civilized manner. Have any of you ever left a rental in such condition? If so you're a scumbag. We as a society need to judge assholes like this lady and not give them a pass. Section 8 should either repair or repay the owner for the repairs and theft. This lady should be on the hook for that amount through any taxes she may pay in the future and nationally freeze any benefits for her until she starts paying back.

This story takes me back to around 1993 or 94 working a summer job as a painter. One of the guys told me that they will never take work on government housing ever again and proceeded to tell me horror stories. This was not BMW driving and three piece suit wearing cats. They were rough guys that came home dirty smelling sweat and chemicals daily.

The lowball prices I've seen to gut and replace a lot of the damage and theft are all assuming two things:

i gotta disagree with you.to me this just shows bad property management skills.sorry,this is just my professional opinion.

first off,as soon as they are late(after grace period,if you give one... i do not)you immediately serve your 3 day pay or vacte.this way you can immediately start legal proceedings if necessary.most will give the money up.this also should be dealt with as a warning sign.issue a 24hr notice that you will be doing some work on the property(this should be a measure on any contracts)i usually just say i'm changing out all the smoke detector batteries.use this as a time to snoop and see if they are violating any part of the contract(ie illegal activity,vandalism,unregistered occupants,etc. etc.)

2nd,get to know the neighbors of the property.the best are the older ones.give'em a lil cash or gifts so that they will be more loyal to you than your tenant.be their friend. believe me,this has helped me more than any other measure of keeping up on whats happening on my properties.

3rd,that bitch is on the hook for the damages.the most he can do is sue.if she doesnt file bankruptcy and later gets a job,have her wages garnished.

lastly,when you enter this business,you have to be prepared for this kinda hit.unfortunately,this BS does happen.it sucks and it hurts,but it does happen.its sad to say,but i seen worse.

i currently rent to several section 8 families.most are just married college students that take very good care of the properties.most sct 8 folks arent like this scumbag bitch that rented from this guy.if its a state assistance lifer,then i just tear up the application.those types of folks will destroy your property without a moments pause.

also,...im not 100% sure but it appears that the water damage from the bathroom window goes up quite a bit high past the bottom ledge of the window.this would be indicative of a external water leak not just an open window.it would be interesting to see the whole outside exterior to see if there is any water traps.

danny A - Got to love the "blame the victim" mentality of parts of the OG. This guy expected someone to keep her word and act in a civilized manner. Have any of you ever left a rental in such condition? If so you're a scumbag. We as a society need to judge assholes like this lady and not give them a pass. Section 8 should either repair or repay the owner for the repairs and theft. This lady should be on the hook for that amount through any taxes she may pay in the future and nationally freeze any benefits for her until she starts paying back.

He is partially to blame, period. He was neglectful, that damage did NOT happen overnight. (He was NOT checking up on his property)

Not renting to section 8 renters isn't going to change the fact that he needs to be more pro active if he is going to continue to be a landlord.