Security To Be Added For Scalegate

THAT IS NUMBER ONE BULLSHITT! Why would you mess with the scale if your are from Europe or any other part off the world?

You wouldnt , i dont think Olivera should have been stripped. I think the powers that be better calibrate the scale on weigh in days and keep a professional eye on it. I think its some bullshit too.

Someone mentioned it before. Calibration weights.

Tiny 1 LB cost $7.99 on Amazon. Every team should carry one. Plant it on the scale before weighing the fighter to check the scale.

Simplest, cheapest insurance they can possibly have.

1 Like

Digital scales are the most accurate scales. They are used in any profession where you need to weigh a object ore anything else to assure the outcome of your product. From multibillion companyā€™s to small business .
And you have a system thatā€™s in order to calibrate the scales down to the gram.

U chose to use a mechanical scale for a reason, and that is understandable. There you have the total control. The amount of Money that is on the line I only can imagine. And of course you wonā€™t to be able to control it, and make sure the profit is maxed.

I have never seen a scale de-calibrate due to a switch between KG and LB. I think Dana (or someone) is lying.

2 Likes

UFC ,s scale is it mechanical or digital ?

Mechanical. They did switch to digital for a short time. Too many fighters were missing weight, so they switched back

So how do you switch a mechanical scale from kg To pounds

1 Like

In.

1 Like

The whole situation is preposterous. They use the same 300 yr old scale that Dr Seuss used to weigh goats. And the only point of using THAT scale is to put a paid-for man in the middle of everything. Itā€™s the opposite of modern/accurate, and itā€™s on purpose.

Thereā€™s an easy way to fix the whole system. The UFC/AC need to provide duplicate testing for two days leading up to the weigh in. This means using the same scale and the same Dr Seuss character that measures people for the official weigh in. Use the exact same process every time and it needs to exactly match the official weigh in.

Recalibrate the scale every single time someone gets on it. Itā€™s not that hard. Iā€™m sure thereā€™s an official process for doing that. But if thereā€™s not, hereā€™s one that would provide assurance for any reasonable person: have four 50lb blocks by the scale. Because the exact weight of these blocks is calibrated, they wouldnā€™t be cheap. But you could put them on the scale one at a time to see how the scale reads for something that is 50lbs, then 100lbs, then 150lbs, then 200lbs. If the scale reads it to the nearest 0.1lb for each of those increments, then itā€™s highly unlikely that some guy weighing 170lbs is going to be way off.

These pre-weigh-ins should be 100% optional, at the fighterā€™s discretion. But one of the pluses is that if there was a discrepancy on fight night, the state could examine the records for the fighters weight over the previous two days and then some discretion could be used.

Thereā€™s no way that this system would cost them more than $1k per event and it would be a huge step up for all parties involved. If my purse for the fight was >100k, Iā€™d be paying the 1k myself just to have some peace of mind on ā€œthe worst dayā€. The idea of a fighter with millions on the line, and the UFC with millions on the line, jeopardizing that money just doesnā€™t make senseā€¦ itā€™s insane really. So you really have to stand back and ask what they gain by keeping things the way they are. The answer is some shady shit that Jake Shields might want to look into. The answer is ā€œthe paid-for manā€.

And youā€™re right about the switch from kg to lbs being nonsense. Even the Dr Seuss scale has the measurements in imperial (lbs) and metric (kg) on the exact same arm. Sort of like how my speedometer has both miles/hr and km/hr markings. ā€œThe Europeans were fucking with itā€ is one of the stupidest things ever uttered in MMA.

1 Like

Iā€™m wondering this as well lol, never seen a way to switch from LBS to KG, it either shows both or one or the other then you have to do the math.

No switch Iā€™ve ever seen

ā€œWell, first of all, let me say that the official scale, which is the one they weighed in on Friday with the athletic commission ā€¦ 28 of the fighters made weight,ā€ Ratner said. ā€œSo Iā€™m very, very sure that there was nothing untoward on that scale. That scale was accurate.

ā€œWhat people are talking about, the night before, thereā€™s a scale where the fighters can come down and check their weight. Some fighters wanted to change the scale from pounds to kilograms, which you can do, and I think that may have knocked it ā€“ we donā€™t have any proof of anything, but it may have knocked the (practice) scale out of calibration. When we found out that there was a problem with the scale early on Friday morning somewhere around 8 or 8:30, we got another scale that was calibrated and put it out there.ā€

ā€œI am not sure what time that Charles or his camp came down on Friday,ā€ Ratner said. ā€œBut heā€™s saying that he checked the weight on Thursday night, and he was fine. But I can say for sure that Friday there was nothing wrong with the official scale.ā€

Interesting bit at the end as to why they donā€™t want to use digital for the official weigh in:

A change to a digital scale seemingly would eliminate the human element, but Ratner doesnā€™t see a reason for that to happen.

ā€œDigital scale, sometimes you get tenths of ounces. Or not even tenths ā€“ a pound is 16 ounces,ā€ Ratner said. ā€œYouā€™d hate to have just a regular fight, and the weight is supposed to be 155 and you can weigh up to 156, and on the digital scale you could weigh 156.2. Well, that doesnā€™t make sense either. Weā€™ve always used the meat scale. Itā€™s accurate, itā€™s balanced, itā€™s calibrated, so I have no problem using it.ā€

1 Like

Problem is certain commission members take their own liberites on the meat scale.

Make no mistake about it. Theyā€™re using the current ridiculous system because it allows them to do whatever the fuck they want. They can hire a guy that ā€œweighsā€ the fighter like below, or they can have towel-gate puppet shows where everyone pretends like they donā€™t know whatā€™s going on. A digital scale is brutally objective and strips away all of those extra layers of comfort that the UFC currently enjoys by having a paid-man involved.

Watch this video and tell me Iā€™m wrong. Iā€™m not saying Khabib didnā€™t make weight. Iā€™m saying they didnā€™t check. If they switch to digital, they canā€™t do stuff like this anymore.

3 Likes

damn