SEG Vs. Zuffa

Which era do you prefer?

SEG was more spectacle than sport, but both were privy to some of the most entertaining moments in MMA/NHB history. Zuffa resurrected the the UFC brand, made it into a more palatable version of its former self, and created a legitimate sport.

The two eras have very distinct feels to them. There is no doubt the fighters of the Zuffa era are better, in every facet of the game. The product is polished, the athletes skilled, and it feels like a legitimate sporting event when you watch.

For some reason though, the old school SEG era had more of an appeal to me. Im an older guy (40) so I got to witness the birth of the sport. There was nothing like it. I'd buy the PPV's or when the UFC went dark, rent the VHS tapes, and be excited as fuck to watch them. I think the major appeal was the influx of all these crazy styles, and not knowing what would work and what was complete bullshit. Every event there would be some dude representing trap fighting, Safta, Kapu Kuialua, Pencak Silat or some other non traditional martial art.

I think the SEG era was more exciting because the sport hadn't figured itself out yet, and there was still this mystery around what actually worked. The fights were often lopsided, and not very technical, but it was fun as fuck to watch. Dont get me wrong, I love what the sport has become, but the old school NHB days were the shit.

I really enjoy watching old fights from the seg era but i think the ufc needed a company like zuffa to build it into what it is today.
Both are great in their own way Phone Post 3.0

UGCTT_I Am Bones Jones Ignition Interlock Device - I really enjoy watching old fights from the seg era but i think the ufc needed a company like zuffa to build it into what it is today.
Both are great in their own way Phone Post 3.0

this!

if i had to pick tho, it'd be the early days for sure. there was NOTHING like the build up for the Ultimate Ultimate tournies.

all the stand out stars/personalities:

Royce, Ken, Severn, Tank, ruas, Col;eman, Frye, Kimo, 600 lbs Sumo vs Hackney, Goodridge, Big Varalens, Pat Smith, Harold Howard, etc!

had Seg never had money/cable ban problems it wouldnt even be close. SEG woulda put on MANY more big huge fights we never got to see.

then again, if Zuffa didnt have this 157 cards a year global expansion BS, they may be ahead of SEG. Fukin hate cards with one big name fight and hte rest meh. like Mir/Duffee & Bisping/Leites cards, fuck that. combine those 2 fights with next weeks fox and now were talkin.

Much as I enjoyed the SEG era, the level of skill was fucking laughable for the most part.  Those guys were game as hell, but most of them had no idea what they were doing. 

Steve4192 - 

Much as I enjoyed the SEG era, the level of skill was fucking laughable for the most part.  Those guys were game as hell, but most of them had no idea what they were doing. 

to be fair, there was no MMA like we have today. that WAS the testing ground to evolve into what we got today! and plenty seemed to know how to fight. 95% of the UG wouldnt have the balls to even fight the young Pat smith or Kimo or Beneteau one on one, much less step into 8 man tournies.

they also had to work with groin shots, headbutts, bare knuckles, cage grabbing, 3-4 fights a night to win, no prep/back ground on most opponents, kicks/knees on the ground, stomping, hair pulling, and even eye gouging only got you a fine at 1st.

"3-4 fights a night to win" this one alot dont get credit for. in tournies, 7 men are going to lose a fight that night, 1 man will not. so you enter knowing only 1 guy is not going to get his ass kicked and everyone else will, unless you pull out of that tourny. along with all the other factors, like mild injuries and fighting 15 minutes and your 2nd rd opponent fought for 15 seconds.

THERE WAS A GLITCH IN THE MATRiX - 
Steve4192 - 

to be fair, there was no MMA like we have today. that WAS the testing ground to evolve into what we got today! and plenty seemed to know how to fight. 95% of the UG wouldnt have the balls to even fight the young Pat smith or Kimo or Beneteau one on one, much less step into 8 man tournies.

they also had to work with groin shots, headbutts, bare knuckles, cage grabbing, 3-4 fights a night to win, no prep/back ground on most opponents, kicks/knees on the ground, stomping, hair pulling, and even eye gouging only got you a fine at 1st.

"3-4 fights a night to win" this one alot dont get credit for. in tournies, 7 men are going to lose a fight that night, 1 man will not. so you enter knowing only 1 guy is not going to get his ass kicked and everyone else will, unless you pull out of that tourny. along with all the other factors, like mild injuries and fighting 15 minutes and your 2nd rd opponent fought for 15 seconds.

I agree the game was different back then and those guys had to face a ton of different challenges than the guys in modern MMA.  But the skill level was awful.  Comparing their skills to the average fan is asinine.  Compared to modern era fighters, their skills pale in comparison.  Royce Gracie was BY FAR the best grappler of that era, and there are literally dozens, maybe even hundreds of guys in the modern sport who are better grapplers AND have more well rounded skills.

Steve4192 - 
Steve4192 - 

I agree the game was different back then and those guys had to face a ton of different challenges than the guys in modern MMA.  But the skill level was awful.  Comparing their skills to the average fan is asinine.  Compared to modern era fighters, their skills pale in comparison.  Royce Gracie was BY FAR the best grappler of that era, and there are literally dozens, maybe even hundreds of guys in the modern sport who are better grapplers AND have more well rounded skills.

doesnt mean they could do what Royce did in real fights. Ken fukin Shamrock couldnt win one of those tournies! are you saying the averge fan today could beat those guys in real fights?

sure there tons of fans who "play" mma on the side are way better grapplers then guys I listed. but if we had time machines would they have the balls to fight and beat these guys & enter those tournies? I think not. I've have fighter buddies (who are/been in UFC) and we've discussed this, they say fuck no they wouldnt be entering no rules tournies vs Kimo & Smith & Severn, etc. they say sure they prob beat the jimmersons and Etishes, but you dont get to fight just them. 260 lbs Remco Pardeau & guys like Pat Smith are in there as well.

Steve4192 - 
Steve4192 - 

doesnt mean they could do what Royce did in real fights. Ken fukin Shamrock couldnt win one of those tournies! are you saying the averge fan today could beat those guys in real fights?

sure there tons of fans who "play" mma on the side are way better grapplers then guys I listed. but if we had time machines would they have the balls to fight and beat these guys & enter those tournies? I think not. I've have fighter buddies (who are/been in UFC) and we've discussed this, they say fuck no they wouldnt be entering no rules tournies vs Kimo & Smith & Severn, etc. they say sure they prob beat the jimmersons and Etishes, but you dont get to fight just them. 260 lbs Remco Pardeau & guys like Pat Smith are in there as well.

Why do you keep comparing pro fighters to fans?

That makes no fucking sense.

Compare them to other pro fighters.

1993 Royce would get his shit pushed in by 80% of the current UFC roster.  Who gives a fuck about how he would fare against the average UGer?

I like SEG era more, it felt more gladiatorial compared to modern trashy tattoo-metal let me bang bro MMA.

Fighters are better now, but the presentation has gotten even worse, and that's saying something. Phone Post 3.0

TFK ConAirStoleMySN - 

Emmanuel Yarborough bro.

Haha, I know you're clowning with that reference, and by today's standards having a 6'6 600lb Sumo Giant vs. 5'11, 200lb Hackney would be absurd. But back then, nobody knew what the fuck was going to happen. Thats what made the SEG era so captivating, the speculation.

Through ridiculous fights like this and others, we found out that Sumo isn't very effective in a fight. Yarborough got palm striked and beaten about the head, Mark Hall broke K?ji Kitao's nose at UFC 9,and some years later Royce submitted Akebono.

If not for these crazy spectacle fights, the game would have never evolved. Well, it probably would have, but that shit was fun to watch.