Self-Education and Law

say someone wants to spend time over the next 10 years learning about law. at the end of this process, they want to know as much about the law as an average lawyer.

this person does not want to go to law school or have the time to. This person also does not want to be a practicing lawyer.

what books should they read, what should they write essay-wise?

I would say that it is almost impossible. What law school teaches you to do is identify issues that need more research. The in depth work that you do in a particular area gives you the actual knowledge. The average lawyer only is competent in one to three areas of law.

yeah, you probably already know as much about the law as i do.

I concur with bflex - I learned pretty much everything I use to do my job by actually doing it. Very little of what I learned in law school, or needed to learn for the bar exam, is useful in my job.

That said, if you identify a particular area of law that you want to learn about, there are ways to become knowledgeable in that area, by reading hornbooks or outline books, reading the statutes, reading the seminal cases in that specialty.

-Shaz!

I agree with XTina and with everyone else. There is little chance that you could ever attain the knowledge that I have in my specialty, but you may already know more about criminal law. I would not be surprised if you even knew more about the rule against perpetuities or piercing the corporate veil (my favorite legal expression)

and it costs 70k+ to learn how to research.

stephen

Why in the name of God would anyone want to do that?

beats me. all my law knowledge came from a nolo press book.

stephen

"the rule against perpetuities"

--Lives in being plus 21 years. Come on!