Self training and Fighting

Thanks for the advice, especially from you Sovann. I really appreciate it. I'm not just saying that, I really do appreciate you taking your time to put this stuff up for me. I will put some stuff into action immediately.

You're welcome. I hope you have fun with it and maybe someday you can tell us about your next fight. I have learned a ton from my UG forum bros especially Dhira back when he posted as kenwingjitsu and the JKD Q&A getting ready for my fights. Team Quest don't do email so the UG is like online coaching.

Do a search for Stickgrappler's site. Tons of training info there.

You could follow Evan Tanner's example and move out here to Gresham, Oregon. They have 20+ training times during the week now. Or save up and attend summer camp and get a ton of stuff to work on.

www.tqfc.com

up for later

ttt THIS NEEDS TO BE ARCHIVED!!!!

Damn sovann, that is some great advice.

TTT !!

*Printing that out :)

TTT for later. Good thread

My group had a similar situation, get the Fighter's note book or something similar. Drill each example a hundred or more times.

Some where in the practice session, roll and spar light.

Go to as many clinics as you can.

Keep your hands up, and chin down.

ttt

zenchin, how did that work for you? Did you come from TMA background?

We usually spend less than 5 minutes, then drill it, then go back add some details or work on countering their resistance, then go back to drilling and rolling. You end up getting live rolls several times during the class instead of just at the end.

Take a look at this thread: http://www.mma.tv/TUF/index.cfm?ac=ListMessages&PID=1&TID=473686&FID=21

ttt

Thanks, Zenchin, you described basically what we do. It's nice to know that we might be on the right track.

If you have enough experience, you can train yourself for a fight. But with no experience with a REAL instructor..I'd say no. Even though this is a pretty safe sport, you can still get hurt.

Peter McNeely did it and he's OK!

So did many early UFC guys.

So long as you keep your hands up and know when to tap, the worst you'll probably get is a busted up face.

ttt

I have heard that Brennan is mostly self taught, as well. Is that true?

I think CB studied under Marco Ruas.

Sovann- Team Quest has a summer camp? How long is it?

Week long summer camp.
There are also mini-camps during the year, the next is Nov. 12-14th.

There is also a year-long intensive instructor's course.

http://www.tqfc.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabindex=6&tabid=22

My brother and I are both self trained, or perhaps we trained each other. Our first few fights, we trained completely in our front yard. Obviously over the course of seven years we've worked out with quite a few people, but have always been and are still today each others primary training partner.

One problem with being self trained is actually getting good fights. Booking an amature fight against a guy who isn't a ringer or as you're career progresses getting bigger pro fights is often as much about who you know as how good you are. If you're self trained and self managed make sure you do a lot of research on the shows you compete for and the opponents you compete against. Good Luck,

Keith Wisniewski

I and my team are self taught, we trained with some fighters for a bit, but weren't really taught much other than what we have taught ourselves. I've had the opportunity to roll and spart with a couple of amateurs near my level who have formally trained, and i did ok :)
I have also competed twice and won both times. both fighters had the same number of fights i have at the time of the fight. and both had far more training. first fighter had two years of training, but stepped up to fight on 30 minutes notice. The other had ten years of striking(traditional, but dont knock it) and one loss in mma, but had trained specifically to fight me under a very good trainer. I thought both fights were good match ups, and both guys were tough.

I think it will be difficult to keep up my skill level against guys who keep on training with experienced professional trainers, but i think you can be competitive training yourself. I just do what i can, just like everybody else.

The thing people have to realize is if you go backwards through instructors, somebody had to start with almost nothing. I've been able to start with watching a zillion MMA bouts, and i have to improve on what i know every time i train, just like everybody else. no one in mma is excluded from this. I just dont have the jump start most do. So it is difficult, but i love it so much, i drive an hour to a gym my brother in law started just so we could be involved in this great sport. We started out in the front yard, and now we have our own gym. I just hope we can make something of it and find our place in combat sports. :D