Sell Me On Weber Grills

I'm in the market for a new propane grill. Everyone talks about how great the Webers are, but something about the design leaves me skeptical.

Since the burners run left-to-right (instead of front-to-back), it seems like you couldn't really do indirect grilling because you can't get the food far enough away from the flame to completely avoid some direct heat.

What say you, OG? Phone Post 3.0

I think the new webers go left to right. The old design of the spirits were front to back but they've changed that.

Webers are great quality, you could buy a char broil or something similar and they'll last you a year or two. But the components will rust and wear out and they are not made to be replaced. The weber components are much nicer and you can always find parts to replace them in many years if they wear out.

The cheap grills are basically disposable, webers will last you years and years. Phone Post 3.0

Best purchase I've ever made for cooking. Got the Q200, which is big enough for our needs.

Cooking with a Webber is like painting by numbers. Heat it up full for 10 mins. Turn it down, put X meat on for x minutes per side. Presto. Phone Post 3.0

How does it handle low and slow? Say 225 degrees for hours? Phone Post 3.0

Amazingly well.
I made ribs and pulled pork about a month back.
Double foil layer on the grill, and pop in a smoke box if you're feeling adventurous.
There are lots of recipes and "how to" online.
I'm sure Pescy or other TFK could assist with instructions and ideas too.

I'm looking for a new grill as well. I will be replacing a char grill commercial that is about 10 years old. It has been a great grill. It will get a proper burial.

TTT

Any other suggestions for good grills with front-to-back burners? Phone Post 3.0

Its not a grill if it doesn't use charcoal Phone Post

I've got a Weber Genesis S-330 - great grill. I've been using it for 3 yrs about 3 times/week and it's like new still. It has a stainless steel grate with no signs of age at this point. It has 3 main burners that run front-to-back, plus one more between the left two that's called a "sear station"...really just another burn strip. I do keep it covered to protect it. I see no reason why it couldn't last 10-15 years easy.

Mine's NG but there's a propane version that's the same thing otherwise. I would definitely recommend it.

Note: my neighbor has the same model a couple years older and his burners run left/right. He claims front/back like mine is better. I've only had this one so I can't confirm or deny this. Phone Post 3.0

wouldn't you have more room on a whole side verus just the front or back?

Darup - Its not a grill if it doesn't use charcoal Phone Post
Already have one of those. Large BGE. Phone Post 3.0

TFK_Chip -

wouldn't you have more room on a whole side verus just the front or back?

Exactly. That's why I want one with 4-5 front-to-back burners, rather than 3 side-to-side burners. Just turn the far one on on one end and have lots of space for food. Phone Post 3.0

Fantastic15 - I've got a Weber Genesis S-330 - great grill. I've been using it for 3 yrs about 3 times/week and it's like new still. It has a stainless steel grate with no signs of age at this point. It has 3 main burners that run front-to-back, plus one more between the left two that's called a "sear station"...really just another burn strip. I do keep it covered to protect it. I see no reason why it couldn't last 10-15 years easy.

Mine's NG but there's a propane version that's the same thing otherwise. I would definitely recommend it.

Note: my neighbor has the same model a couple years older and his burners run left/right. He claims front/back like mine is better. I've only had this one so I can't confirm or deny this. Phone Post 3.0
Interesting that they changed then changed back. They all run side-to-side now, don't they? Phone Post 3.0

Mullet @ Heart -
Fantastic15 - I've got a Weber Genesis S-330 - great grill. I've been using it for 3 yrs about 3 times/week and it's like new still. It has a stainless steel grate with no signs of age at this point. It has 3 main burners that run front-to-back, plus one more between the left two that's called a "sear station"...really just another burn strip. I do keep it covered to protect it. I see no reason why it couldn't last 10-15 years easy.

Interesting that they changed then changed back. They all run side-to-side now, don't they? Phone Post 3.0
Negative, they're front-to-back presently, were left-right previously. My Genesis was $800ish. If I was looking to spend $1500-$1800 or so, I'd get a Summit series Weber. 4 burners all front/back. Phone Post 3.0

Cool. I'll check 'em out. Thanks. Phone Post 3.0

Mullet @ Heart -
Darup - Its not a grill if it doesn't use charcoal Phone Post
Already have one of those. Large BGE. Phone Post 3.0
Isn't the BGE the rolls Royce of grills? Phone Post 3.0

can you get drunk and fall asleep and NOT have your weber burn up if you are carmelizing ribs on it?

If yes.... that should be the commercial

The big ones front front to back. Plenty of space for indirect.

You should be sold on it due to:
1. The quality; AND
2. The warranty.

When I moved into my place, it had a built in Lynx grill (like $4,000). Thing was broke, so I brought the repairman out.

The guy serviced all brands. He flat out told me that no matter how much money he had, he would never buy one. "Get a Weber. They last for fucking ever."

I have a large BGE as well. Apples and oranges.

Which model do I need to get front-to-back? Phone Post 3.0