Serial Bank Robber Killed

So today I learned that someone I once knew was killed by the police as a result of some bank robberies that he was committing.

I knew him as Ricky Love. Before I had even met him, his mother was my 6th grade social studies teacher. I didn't meet Ricky until high school, during which time we worked at a grocery store together. He was always really crazy. I remember we both almost got fired for taking an entire case of whipped cream and did a bunch of whip-its together on our lunch break. We both totally got caught, but he took the blame for it and as a result I was able to keep my job. He was no stranger to getting into trouble. One time he stole a truck and was chased by the cops and ended up flipping it in this field in front of the local H.S. I spent a lot of time with this guy back in the day, and at one time we were close friends but eventually lost contact with him after high school. I ended up going into the Military and I don't remember ever seeing him again. Never even heard his name again until this afternoon.

Anyways, I was shocked to hear about what happened to him. My condolences go out to his family and I hope they are able to find some kind of peace.

Sauce:
http://www.thewesterlysun.com/home/7871578-129/alleged-serial-bank-robber-shot-killed-by-connecticut-state-police.html Phone Post 3.0

There is no shame in this and I bet if you had seen him recently, you would have still been cool.
Sorry to hear about his troubles .... Life goes in weird directions Phone Post 3.0

A man who was wanted in a string of bank robberies across southeastern Connecticut and southwestern Rhode Island was shot and killed Saturday morning by Connecticut State Police after a standoff at a motel in Old Saybrook.

The identity of the victim has not been released by police, but several law enforcement sources said the man who was killed was believed to be Richard Love, 31, of Groton, a suspect in the Sept. 24 robbery of the Citizens Bank branch in the Stop & Shop in Wyoming and the Tuesday robbery of the Mystic Citizens Bank branch.

A few days after the first robbery, Love was in line at a bank in Westerly but the teller asked him to remove his sunglasses and hat and he left before being waited on. Love was also a suspect in bank robberies in East Lyme and Norwich.

The incident began just after 1 a.m. when local police from both Old Saybrook and Norwich as well as Connecticut State Police troopers converged on the Econo Lodge at 1750 Boston Post Road in Old Saybrook after receiving reports that Love was staying there.

According to a news release from state police, troopers and town officers observed Love through a window brandishing a firearm and heard gunshots from inside the motel room, although it wasn’t clear who he was shooting at. Old Saybrook and Norwich officers secured the area and requested the Connecticut State Police Tactical Unit for assistance with the barricaded suspect as motel patrons were evacuated from surrounding rooms.

When the tactical unit burst into the motel room, the man pointed a gun at them.

“Upon seeing members of the State Police Tactical Team, the suspect pointed a firearm at them. The suspect ignored orders by members to drop the weapon, and continued to point the firearm at tactical team members. At this time, at least one member discharged their issued firearm, striking the suspect,” the state police release said.

Police administered first aid, but he was pronounced dead on the scene. No other injuries were reported.

Detectives from the state police Eastern District Major Crime Unit responded to the scene and took over the investigation, with the assistance of the Office of the Chief State’s Medical Examiner.

Love was clearly identified in bank surveillance photos released on Sept. 29 by Richmond police after the first robbery, and a warrant was issued for Love’s arrest, along with a description of his vehicle and license plate number. In the photo, Love was holding his sunglasses; in earlier photos he wore sunglasses and a baseball hat.

The Hartford Courant reported that Love’s girlfriend was found hours after the shooting walking along Route 1 in the Old Saybrook area, and said her name was not released.

RIP to the Master of Disguise. Phone Post 3.0

Love makes you do strange things. Phone Post 3.0

Thanks Jack Phone Post 3.0

I just finished the 49ers/Giants game and the news came on. They just covered the story. Unbelievable. Phone Post 3.0

My buddy robbed 3 banks and was at least a driver in one other. He ended up getting 48 months on top of the 18 he's already served. Guy should of gave up! Phone Post 3.0

I read another article which said there was heroin and crack cocaine found in the room. That probably explains his state of mind he was in when this all went down. Phone Post 3.0

TheRealMrBeefy - I just finished the 49ers/Giants game and the news came on. They just covered the story. Unbelievable. Phone Post 3.0
I saw it too and just noticed this thread, wow. Sorry about your friend dude. A guy I know spent 5 yrs in prison for 4 bank robberies. Got out, was working hard then robbed another 1 and got caught. He's back in prison for a while now. Phone Post 3.0

TheRealMrBeefy - I read another article which said there was heroin and crack cocaine found in the room. That probably explains his state of mind he was in when this all went down. Phone Post 3.0
Opiates were why the guy I knew robbed banks. He was clean and working hard for an liquid distributor until he fell off the wagon. His sister is in prison too, poor parents Phone Post 3.0

thekindone4 - My buddy robbed 3 banks and was at least a driver in one other. He ended up getting 48 months on top of the 18 he's already served. Guy should of gave up! Phone Post 3.0

48 months for 3 bank robberies seems light...

Insert Matt serra Phone Post 3.0

Dom Hemingway - Insert Matt serra Phone Post 3.0

Exactly.

Jeffersonbastard -
thekindone4 - My buddy robbed 3 banks and was at least a driver in one other. He ended up getting 48 months on top of the 18 he's already served. Guy should of gave up! Phone Post 3.0

48 months for 3 bank robberies seems light...
Agreed. We all thought he got off lucky. He wasn't that good at it, he only made off with about 8000 grand on 3 robberies! Phone Post 3.0

A guy I knew in high school tried to rob a donut shop with a butter knife and a bandana over his face.

Other than living across the street from the place and knowing the girl behind the counter since public school, it was the perfect crime. Phone Post 3.0

Cotton -

Exactly.
This. Glad he caught it rather than one of the cops or, more than likely, an innocent bystander. Phone Post 3.0

BadDog -
Cotton -

Exactly.
This. Glad he caught it rather than one of the cops or, more than likely, an innocent bystander. Phone Post 3.0
It sounded like to me he basically committed suicide by cop. He probably didn't want to go to prison. I'm sure he had spent some time in there in the past 15 years since I've seen him.

But I get what your saying completely. It would have made this situation a whole lot worse if someone else was hurt throughout this ordeal. Phone Post 3.0